The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
JAG2512
I won't be able to do Geography either. None from the last line really appeal to me. English Lit I find difficult, I think art is a definite no now, and I'm not interested in the topics covered in the Pschology course.
Chemistry does seem to be the best choice for me, but I'm disappointed that I'm not able to do French.
I just wanted to see what other people thought about the situation.

That sucks :s: hope it works out JAG

One last thing to consider is taking French privately, if you can find a tutor then discuss with your school or nearby schools and colleges what they could offer in terms of doing your exams...not sure how french exams work, should be easy to find places to do standard written exams but beyond that you'd have to do some research

Or discuss with your school what level you'd need to be in spanish to take up the A level, see if you can do that over the summer...but not sure that'd work in reality
do chemistry. a bit difficult in A2 but really really well-respected subject
You could always try to take a French course outside school and ask your school to enter you for the exams if you want to do French that badly and don'T like any of the other options.
JAG2512
I originally wanted to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French, but my option lines do not allow me to take Physics and French. I will do Physics, but I am left with one more option line to choose from which consists of:
Chemistry, Psychology, English Lit, Geography, Spanish and Art
Which should I choose for my last subject?

Chemistry. Seems the most sensible for a maths/physics degree, which you say you want to do.
Reply 1024
Psychology would give you an essay subject which is a good thing to have. It's also counted as a science in some cases. Chemistry might be a good idea though if you're thinking more down the Physics option at uni because 2 sciences looks good on an application to do a science at uni. I suggest looking at some uni websites and seeing what subjects they want for the course you might want to do. But really, do the one that you enjoy the most, or think you'll enjoy the most. Look at the course specifications and past papers on exam board websites to see which you can see yourself enjoying most
2 sciences look good, i mean Physics is a highly respected "hard" a-level, and so is Chemistry, they look good together. French is messed i done it until AS, quite hard unless you're a native/mother toungue is french.
I took maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and psychology at AS and regret taking psychology, it's not very interesting at AS level and there's a lot of revision required though it's not difficult as long as you can memorise case studies.

Chemistry is well respected and interesting but is also hard work. If I could choose again I would've picked philosophy and ethics instead of psychology
Reply 1027
I want to do an Economics degree at a top ten uni and my AS choices are Maths, Physics, History and Business Studies.

Should I drop business for something that is considered more traditional, or just keep it as i do find it quite interesting?
FynnAB
I want to do an Economics degree at a top ten uni and my AS choices are Maths, Physics, History and Business Studies.

Should I drop business for something that is considered more traditional, or just keep it as i do find it quite interesting?

Is A-level economics not offered at your school? Some of the top ten don't like business studies, but say it's okay if you can't do economics, they would prefer economics though. Your other choices are fine :smile:
FynnAB

Drop Business Studies for Economics OR Further Maths. If they don't interest you, then keep Business.
Reply 1030
I would definitely take economics if it was offered. I'm unsure about taking further maths, how much harder is it?
FynnAB
I would definitely take economics if it was offered. I'm unsure about taking further maths, how much harder is it?

If you're on course for an A* at GCSE, you should be able to cope. Don't feel compelled to pick it though, as long as you get 4A's you should be set. For A2 though, I'd advise you to drop Business.
Reply 1032
Hey I am currently about to start my alevels but i am unsure on a couple of subjects. I am debating whether to take maths or economics.
I might be taking maths because i am also taking physics and i have heard it helps with that, and also i have heard it is a very good a level to have. But i do not feel that confident in it and i think i am looking at a B grade at GCSE.
I am looking to take economics because i enjoyed business studies but apparantly this is a step up from that and not seen as such a 'light' option by the universities. Also the I think the content would interest me more than maths would.
Thanks in advance for any responses :smile:
jcm6084
Hey I am currently about to start my alevels but i am unsure on a couple of subjects. I am debating whether to take maths or economics.
I might be taking maths because i am also taking physics and i have heard it helps with that, and also i have heard it is a very good a level to have. But i do not feel that confident in it and i think i am looking at a B grade at GCSE.
I am looking to take economics because i enjoyed business studies but apparantly this is a step up from that and not seen as such a 'light' option by the universities. Also the I think the content would interest me more than maths would.

Which career path, are you considering?
jcm6084

maths isn't all that hard at A level, although if you're predicted a B i can see your concerns. Have you asked your teachers whether they think you're capable, they usually have a good idea of that sort of thing.
Reply 1035
Junaid16
Which career path, are you considering?

Well I would quite like to go on and do a degree in geography, and I was thinking maybe teaching but other than that I am not actually that sure of the careers you can get with geography...Anyone care to inform me :smile:?
Reply 1036
To go well with maths or physics I would do Chemistry or maybe Geography! :smile:
Reply 1037
Anyone? :smile:
Reply 1038
jcm6084
Well I would quite like to go on and do a degree in geography, and I was thinking maybe teaching but other than that I am not actually that sure of the careers you can get with geography...Anyone care to inform me :smile:?

I'm also planning to do a Geography degree. Here's a list http://geography.about.com/od/careersingeography/a/jobsgeography.htm :smile: Also, if you go to http://www.prospects.ac.uk and choose Careers advice > Options with your subject, you can find jobs to do with Geography and any other degree you might be considering!
Reply 1039
Thanks for the responses.
I think I'll be able to make a more confident decision now.

Latest