The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Microbiology made ridiculously simple.
Metabolic Regulation: A Human Perspective by Frayn - it is the perfect textbook. It goes into tonnes of detail while still keeping an eye on the bigger picture, and is very easy to read.

If only there was such a book for genetics... :sad:
Reply 62
Phalanges
Metabolic Regulation: A Human Perspective by Frayn - it is the perfect textbook. It goes into tonnes of detail while still keeping an eye on the bigger picture, and is very easy to read.

If only there was such a book for genetics... :sad:

Have you tried Emery's Medical Genetics? It's a little in depth in some places, but if you use it wisely it's perfect for tute work. Otherwise, I thought the lecture notes were pretty good.
Phalanges

If only there was such a book for genetics...

I don't know exactly what you cover in genetics, but I found Brooker's very good and clearly set out, yet with lots of detail.
I just found out the greatness of mini kumar and clarke for everything - shame my pocket isnt big enough to carry it everywhere.
Ive gone off oxford handbook of clinical medicine - i need pictures and i need to know how things work
Tyraell
Have you tried Emery's Medical Genetics? It's a little in depth in some places, but if you use it wisely it's perfect for tute work. Otherwise, I thought the lecture notes were pretty good.

I have tried that, but I found it really hard to read and ended up relying on the internet quite a lot last term. But yeah the lecture notes were pretty good.

Democracy
I don't know exactly what you cover in genetics, but I found Brooker's very good and clearly set out, yet with lots of detail.

Hmm, I haven't come across that yet - I may ask my library to order it in. :holmes:
Reply 66
i know this isnt a particularly constructive reply but you've got the title of Underwood wrong in the OP :smile:
Reply 67
any significant difference between the 12E and 11E of Guyton and Hall? price aside of course. i've been told that the original renal section in the 11E is inaccurate.
Ganong's Review of Medical Physiology - Like Guyton's, but more concise and quite easy to follow for physiology. 7/10

Psychology and Sociology Applied to Medicine (Illustrated Colour Text) - Fantastic book for psychology and sociology. Great book for 'Individuals, Groups and Society' (or similar) part of course.
Biochemistry by Voet, Voet and Pratt: 8/10

Lots of detailed knowledge if you are at a medical school with seperate preclinical clinical years or extremelly useful for an intercalated biochemistry degree.
Reply 70
digitalis
Microbiology made ridiculously simple.

I'm finding this textbook really helpful; just the right amount of detail and presented so that it is easy to understand. Is there any pharmacology text from your front page/other that would you liken to this one? Thanks :smile:
Reply 71
cocomango
I'm finding this textbook really helpful; just the right amount of detail and presented so that it is easy to understand. Is there any pharmacology text from your front page/other that would you liken to this one? Thanks :smile:

Basic Concepts in Pharmacology: A Student's Survival Guide

I really only used this book tbh, still do if I come across a new drug class. It is really simple but contains everything you need to know.

This has more detail, I like the BRS series...you may not though!
Is there a difference between the traditional greys anatomy and the GA for students? Or has the GA for students replaced the traditional GA?

My parents are insisting on buying me a book for university and I figure this one is as old as time and will more than likely come to use.
RollerBall
Is there a difference between the traditional greys anatomy and the GA for students? Or has the GA for students replaced the traditional GA?

My parents are insisting on buying me a book for university and I figure this one is as old as time and will more than likely come to use.

I was given the traditional full edition of Gray's Anatomy and have only opened it once to sort out a conflict between 2 different textbooks. It is enormous with a ferocious amount of detail and you would get lost inside of it. It is nice to have but you would need another anatomy textbook on top of it for standard use

Also its Gray's Anatomy not the tv show Grey's anatomy :wink:
RollerBall

You'd be better off getting a physiology textbook (such as Boron or Martini) - they're infinitely more useful.
Reply 75
RollerBall

I've used the full GA - it has heroic amounts of detail that you won't need, having said that, I like the descriptions. The overview in most sections is pretty much all you need to make a decent start.

Personally I don't like the wording of the student editions, if you want to get something get the diagram version - I've forgetten what thats called. Otherwise the other brilliant book is Last's Anatomy - edited by Sinatamby. alot more compact, easier to carry.

Also, the full on Grays is 150 pounds...or it was last time I looked.
Reply 76
RollerBall

Like the above posters have said, traditional Gray's is very *very* detailed and much more expensive and bulky. GA for students is more than adequate for a medical student (though I still wouldn't recommend buying it simply because your med library should have plenty of copies). If you're still set on buying it, I would suggest getting a second hand copy.
Reply 77
Quick question, is the full issue of Gray's any use as a fresher? My Dad has given me a copy but I reckon it will go into far more detail than I'll require? Better to buy something else? Not that I am planning on buying anything now, just wondered.
acas13
Quick question, is the full issue of Gray's any use as a fresher? My Dad has given me a copy but I reckon it will go into far more detail than I'll require? Better to buy something else? Not that I am planning on buying anything now, just wondered.

As I said just above I was given it also. I opened it once in first year due to the enormous amount of detail. It really is no use as your standard anatomy textbook. Really it is just for clearing any disputes between textbooks or else as a reference for very detailed essays :yep: I would recommend buying another anatomy textbook or seeing if your medical school library will have one that you could use :smile:
Reply 79
It could be lupus
As I said just above I was given it also. I opened it once in first year due to the enormous amount of detail. It really is no use as your standard anatomy textbook. Really it is just for clearing any disputes between textbooks or else as a reference for very detailed essays :yep: I would recommend buying another anatomy textbook or seeing if your medical school library will have one that you could use :smile:

Yeah thats what I thought, a well guess it's quite a nice thing to have anyway... and sorry I couldn't be bothered looking through the thread before I posted. Thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending