The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

I've used an excerpt of my UG dissertation and an excerpt from an essay that relates to my research area.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
quick question. Does oxford offer distance courses?
Reply 22
Rainbow_1985
quick question. Does oxford offer distance courses?

Yes. They're not identical to the regular courses, though, obviously.
Reply 23
A question to those who have excerpted longer pieces to meet the word count requirement: is it better to truncate a whole section (eg the middle section, the end) or cut out smaller sections throughout the piece? I'm torn because if you provide say, the beginning and the middle, you don't give a sense of how you develop and conclude your subject. On the other hand, cutting out small segments throughout could be time consuming and the selection of what to cut quite arbitrary.
Reply 24
I don't know if there is a definite answer to this question. I prefaced the writing sample by including a cover page where I stated the name of the work, the date of completion, the nature of the excerpt (e.g. pages x-y of chapter z), and I also provided 3-5 sentences describing the thesis from which I took the excerpt. With regards to the excerpt itself, I didn't truncate it. I simply looked for a coherent argument. I picked up where the argument began and ended where it ended.

I think they are trying to form an idea of your writing style and structure as well as your research approach and how you incorporate scholarly sources into your work. However, I encourage you to include at least one sample that that reads from beginning to end. My advisor who used to teach at Oxford said this is very important.
Altea
A question to those who have excerpted longer pieces to meet the word count requirement: is it better to truncate a whole section (eg the middle section, the end) or cut out smaller sections throughout the piece? I'm torn because if you provide say, the beginning and the middle, you don't give a sense of how you develop and conclude your subject. On the other hand, cutting out small segments throughout could be time consuming and the selection of what to cut quite arbitrary.

For the excerpt of my dissertation, I chose the final part of a chapter's intro and then the rest of the chapter (they actually went together really well). Using the chapter meant I had a mini conclusion.

For my other essay, I just found a sensible place to start and used everything that followed, including the conclusion.
Reply 26
Hmm, sounds interesting. Makes me wish I had done my undergrad thesis on something more relevant!
Reply 27
I received an offer to read MSc Mathematics and the Foundations of Computer Science at the University of Oxford. I have several questions about this course that hopefully someone here can respond to!

I intend to use this masters to improve my academic profile so that I will be more competitive when applying for a PhD in a similar topic and securing funding. How good is this masters for this purpose? Does it have a good reputation in the world of mathematics? (or in the world of theoretical computer science) I am an Asian so even though Oxbridge has a great brand in my region, I know very little about the strengths of each department and/or course.

P.S.
If you are an offer holder to this course and is planning to attend, pm me!
Reply 28
Hello!
I will also be reading for this MSc in Oxford.
Post me an email if you like.
Reply 29
Salima13
Hello!
I will also be reading for this MSc in Oxford.

That makes three of us!
Reply 30
I will be taking Algebraic Geometry as Schedule II course in Michaelmas term.
Looking forward to meeting you both!! :-)
Reply 31
yay theres 3 of us here!
Reply 32
Hello guys! Congratulations to all of you on getting in MSc at Oxford.
I am also interested in applying to this program but a bit lost (I am from Canada!). Are you all UK citizens? Any international students? If yes (or not), may I PLEASE know your GPA and other qualifications you have that helped you get in this program?? It would be of GREAT HELP to me!!

thanks a lot! =)
Reply 33
Well, I am a EU citizen, so I am eligible for home fees. This is important is you are considering applying to scholarships.
I gained my BSc (first class honours) in Mathematics from a University in the UK.
I think that an interesting personal statement can make all the difference. And it is also good to have a look at the courses and think what you would like to study if you were admitted.
Good luck!!!
Reply 34
Salima13
I think that an interesting personal statement can make all the difference.

@simply.me: I really agree with that and I also think that it is very important to choose one's referees wisely.

@Salima13 & Poincare: When are you guys going to Oxford? I plan to move there at the very beginning of October.
Reply 35
My flight lands at Heathrow airport at 05:55 hrs on the 27 sept of September, London time.

P.S.
I think the admission process has some randomness in it. I know people who got into courses (at other unis) when their grades are way below that of their fellow classmates. I am an international student, 1st class in Mathematics & Economics.
Reply 36
I also plan to arrive on the 27th September.

I think, it is important that your referees really want you to go to Oxford... it is also important to think why you really want to go to Oxford and not anywhere else. That is what you should write in a personal statement.
I had applied for an MSC in Advanced Computer Science at the University of Oxford. Now they wanna interview me on telephone and the interview's on friday (17th dec, 2010).. Can anyone give me an idea as to what they might ask..?? Will they ask questions related to computer science only, or will they also test my knowledge of mathematics??
Original post by felixbenjamin
I had applied for an MSC in Advanced Computer Science at the University of Oxford. Now they wanna interview me on telephone and the interview's on friday (17th dec, 2010).. Can anyone give me an idea as to what they might ask..?? Will they ask questions related to computer science only, or will they also test my knowledge of mathematics??

By this you mean you're at home on the phone and the interviewer has called you?!
Yup... I'm a resident of India... so the interview will be via telephone..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending