The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

woops, my essay has ended up as 9100 words, not the specified 5000
how bad is that in the aqa spec?
Reply 1021
Duckzilla
You have to get assessors (should be teachers) from your school. While dong the extended project you have to make a log book, and they have to comment on it and sign it. You also have to perform a verbal presentation to them which they will assess, so you will need to go through your sixth form college.

"Log book"? :eek3: We were never told about that!?
I wanted to know is Extended Project is considered as an AS level,
usually you need to have 3 A levels and an AS level for university so if I do
Maths, English Literature and Religious studies to full A level and do extended project will that count as 3 A levels and an AS level?
They don't count as AS levels for university offers.

eg. AAAb won't accept your EPQ at grade b as an AS.

However, if your offer is in UCAS points then it is fair game.

eg. 240 UCAS points, 2 A Levels + EPQ is fine.
Reply 1024
Anyone else getting to the stage where they're wondering why they ever thought it would be a good idea to do the bloody EPQ? I'm trying to write mine atm and normally I'm good at essay writing but this is just doing my head in. I keep having to do more research as I go and every paragraph is just taking so much effort and now I'm trying to work out how to structure it because the plan I had isn't really working and just ARGHHH.

Just had to get that off my chest!
Hello,
The teachers at my school haven't been too helpful and tbh I'm not completely sure how to write the project. Initially I thought it was about a topic you're interested in and then writing it like an essay, but the more I read into it it's more about analysing articles and the rest is discussing the sources you used and objectives etc. Can ANYONE please clarify what I am meant to write about, whether it is a big essay, or if it is just analysis of sources and talking about what you've learnt from the project etc. SO CONFUSED!!
I am currently doing my extended project on a Law based subject as I don't do Law now but I would like to study it at University. I decided to do my EP on Miscarriages of Justice but I didn't get a chance to talk to a teacher about it so I am unsure whether that would be a good idea that would appeal to Universities who want Law Students.

I was going to write about a couple of big cases and draw from them the flaws in our justice system then as well as backing them up with more minor cases. I was also going to look at the flaws in the Jury System through the use of cases.

I just wanted to know whether this seemed appropriate?

Thoughts Please?

Reply 1027
Our teachers didn't say much about the EPQ - it's kinda left to our own devices.
My initial understanding was that it's a 5000 word essay exploring the topic you picked, and then did a presentation on how you did the project, what you found out etc.
However, other people I know doing the EPQ were given textbooks on the AQA EPQ and guides and stuff, which said to include analysing articles, talking about how it could be biased etc.
So now I am in limbo - not much I can do until I find out exactly what they are asking for.

Any advice is much appreciated.
(My topic is economics related)
just wondering the word limit for the aqa one? it says 5000 i know but is that lower or upper limit? thaanks
muddybike
I am currently doing my extended project on a Law based subject as I don't do Law now but I would like to study it at University. I decided to do my EP on Miscarriages of Justice but I didn't get a chance to talk to a teacher about it so I am unsure whether that would be a good idea that would appeal to Universities who want Law Students.

I was going to write about a couple of big cases and draw from them the flaws in our justice system then as well as backing them up with more minor cases. I was also going to look at the flaws in the Jury System through the use of cases.

I just wanted to know whether this seemed appropriate?

Thoughts Please?

hey, i'm in the same position as you what with not doing law atm but wanting to do it at uni haha. yeah sounds like a great idea, i'd recommend "just law" by helena kennedy, has quite a bit here and there about miscarriages of justice :smile: i'm doing mine on the erosion of freedom of expression which is alright, pretty bored of it now though

enjooooy :smile:
Reply 1030
Hey,
does anyone know if the AS Extended Project certifcate is posted out to you? My college didn't really help when I called up :/

Thanks!
Reply 1031
tiny hobbit
No, £14 is what the exam board charge to enter for 1 exam, including production costs etc (it varies a bit between boards and subjects). Any extra is what the school or college charge. If they have to invigilate your exam on your own, fair enough. If you are being invigilated with other candidates, they are simply making a profit out of you.

I agree
Reply 1033
EPQ sucks ****.
lellybean
Hi im thinking of doing the extended project and got all the information and then realised that my original idea wasn't very good so i would like a new idea which involves both psychology and education and is REALLY stuck for idea's. please help? :smile:

This is quite vague, but you could do something about the relationship between memory and exam performance, or how other factors e.g. sleep (or lack of it :p:) and certain types of food impact on brain activity, and therefore, exam performance.

Sorry- that was rubbish, I know. :sigh: You'd do well to write a 5000 word essay on that.
Btw, does anyone know what we have to write for the research proposal? I've written most of it, but to be honest, I didn't have much of a clue as to what to write; most of it probably isn't relevant.

Also, is 500 words the limit or is it the minimum for the research proposal?
well i just got my results back today and i got an A :biggrin:
teukiechul
well i just got my results back today and i got an A :biggrin:

Congrats!
Reply 1038
I got an A* in my EPQ :biggrin:

I was wondering... the column next to the grade is 'Points', and mine says 26.. does anyone have any idea what that's out of??
Reply 1039
Sarah182
I got an A* in my EPQ :biggrin:

I was wondering... the column next to the grade is 'Points', and mine says 26.. does anyone have any idea what that's out of??

No idea - but you got a better A* than me if the "points" actually mean anything - I got 24. Nice one for you!

Quick Reply

Latest