The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Hello!

Today I sat my UKCAT and achieved a score of 627.5 which isn't great. I was planning on applying to Manchester and Newcastle Medical schools as my first and second choice, but they have a big emphasis on UKCAT, and my score isn't great. My AS results are AAAA, with 3 subjects above 90%. My GCSEs were 3A*s 2As and 5Bs.

With my 2 preferable universities basically out of the question, which universities should i consider, taking into account my low GCSE and UKCAT performance?

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Do you have to put your AS module results into UCAS these days? I really need to do some retakes in january to be safe but my predicted grades are still AAA

Also does your fourth AS level matter? I've got a B and liverpool as my first choice states that they want a B, so do I trust them or just do a retake and bump it up to an A to be safe?
just wanted to know if i have a chance here :smile: and how they select people and if theres any current nottingham med students that could say what they had to get in there and if what i have is enough
i have:
GCSEs - 5A*s, 7A's
AS - 5A's
UKCAT - still to do but hopefully 650
Work exp. - surgery, charity work, care home

if not, what other unis would be good for me??
(also thinking of leicester keele bristol)
Which Unis Allow For A C In The As Dropped Subject?
3 A*s 8As 1B
600 UKCAT
BBCC AS
(I know this is all rubbish)
Applying to:
Keele
UEA
ABERDEEN
LIVERPOOL
Wise????
Reply 1085
aspire2inspire
just wanted to know if i have a chance here :smile: and how they select people and if theres any current nottingham med students that could say what they had to get in there and if what i have is enough
i have:
GCSEs - 5A*s, 7A's
AS - 5A's
UKCAT - still to do but hopefully 650
Work exp. - surgery, charity work, care home

if not, what other unis would be good for me??
(also thinking of leicester keele bristol)

Applicant profiles (successful and unsuccessful) for Nottingham can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medics_and_Applicants_Profiles#Nottingham
Reply 1086
addi187
Hello!

Today I sat my UKCAT and achieved a score of 627.5 which isn't great. I was planning on applying to Manchester and Newcastle Medical schools as my first and second choice, but they have a big emphasis on UKCAT, and my score isn't great. My AS results are AAAA, with 3 subjects above 90%. My GCSEs were 3A*s 2As and 5Bs.

With my 2 preferable universities basically out of the question, which universities should i consider, taking into account my low GCSE and UKCAT performance?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Theres a high chance that Leicester and St. George's wil give you an interview...
Zai
I've just done my GCSEs so sorry if I come across as not knowing anything about the A level system or universities! I have a quick question. Alongside my GCSEs I took AS Computing and came out with a B, which would be my sixth AS grade. I was 4 marks off an A.
I'm just wondering whether this would affect any chances of doing medicine at Imperial/Kings/UCL?

What did you get in your other 5 AS subjects?
ngan_ta2001
Hi I'm wondering whether UCL and Cambridge have problems with resitting 1 modules in AS Biology in Jan 2011?
I've got AS Biology module grades like :
Unit 1 : A ( 96% UMS )
Unit 2 : A ( 90% UMS )
Unit 3 : C
But my overall As grade is still an A ( about 88% UMS )
I want to resit unit 3 to boost my A level grade.

UCL shouldn't have a problem with AS (they didn't when I asked this year), although they would prefer it if you didn't - it wouldn't stop me applying though!

Cambridge you should contact to make sure (and probably UCL too).

Good luck!
Reply 1089
ramzy91
Theres a high chance that Leicester and St. George's wil give you an interview...

Does the fact that i got QR 740, DA 640, AR 590 and VR 540 make a difference? Because I thought Leicester looks at them separately.
627.5 sn't 'low', in fact it is above average. I'm sure you will have surpassed the cut off for the vast majority of universities. If manchester or newcastle are really where you want to go then you should apply there. You shouldn't let percieved barriers stop you from trying to go where you really want to go. Good luck!
I think that's better than what I got average , I think I got 625/650 in its first year of operation and seem to remember being quite happy with it.
Reply 1092
tibbles209
627.5 sn't 'low', in fact it is above average. I'm sure you will have surpassed the cut off for the vast majority of universities. If manchester or newcastle are really where you want to go then you should apply there. You shouldn't let percieved barriers stop you from trying to go where you really want to go. Good luck!

I have a table of medical applicants from my college, it shows their grade point average and their ukcat score, and where they got offers/rejections from, nobody with a ukcat lower than 650 got in to either manchester or newcastle last year, but many above 650 got offers. If I applied it would feel as if I'm throwing away 2 applications.
I think I just need to consider my alternatives lookins at my UKCAT and GCSEs.
Thanks btw =D
Reply 1093
Markh1000
UCL shouldn't have a problem with AS (they didn't when I asked this year), although they would prefer it if you didn't - it wouldn't stop me applying though!

Cambridge you should contact to make sure (and probably UCL too).

Good luck!

Is it worth applying to UCL if u do a2 modules in january?
Reply 1094
Philosoraptor
I think that's better than what I got average , I think I got 625/650 in its first year of operation and seem to remember being quite happy with it.

But no universities would have put much weighting on it if it had just been introduced right?
addi187
I have a table of medical applicants from my college, it shows their grade point average and their ukcat score, and where they got offers/rejections from, nobody with a ukcat lower than 650 got in to either manchester or newcastle last year, but many above 650 got offers. If I applied it would feel as if I'm throwing away 2 applications.
I think I just need to consider my alternatives lookins at my UKCAT and GCSEs.
Thanks btw =D

Is your college in North West London?
I got that exact average, and similar GCSEs (3A* 6A 2B), with worse AS results of AAAB. I got offers from Peninsula, HYMS and Leicester, so you might like to look at a couple of those?
Reply 1097
addi187
Does the fact that i got QR 740, DA 640, AR 590 and VR 540 make a difference? Because I thought Leicester looks at them separately.

It does, I wouldn't apply to Leicester.

BSMS?
Reply 1098
vertigo.0012
I got that exact average, and similar GCSEs (3A* 6A 2B), with worse AS results of AAAB. I got offers from Peninsula, HYMS and Leicester, so you might like to look at a couple of those?

His lowest UKCAT score though is 500-something. I don't know what the new scoring system is for this year but that would only have got 3/5 for 2010
lekky
His lowest UKCAT score though is 500-something. I don't know what the new scoring system is for this year but that would only have got 3/5 for 2010

My lowest was 580 :wink:
I'd say still apply to Leicester, you'd get full marks for academics and still 3/5 for UKCAT, so if your PS and reference are good you stand a good chance of getting an interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending