The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 1
simonnw
So moving to UWE next month (yay!) and I will be living in the Student Village. Can anyone tell me whether I can playing games on my PS3 in some of my free time via Resnet or is it unsupported?

I can't see why not. What are you studying btw?
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Marketing. I just have read opposing information about it so I wanted to check with people who have tried it themselves.
Reply 3
Yea I have recieved negative information about being able to play online on games consoles as well! I'm moving into the student village to and would love it if anyone knew a way round 'Resnet's' rules? I've been searching forums that have given me some information, but it would be far better if someone who has been to UWE to let me know on how to connect my 360 to Resnet??? Cheers.
Reply 4
sorry guys can't be done lived in Student village in my freshers year and you can't get it as far as i know because they have blocked certain ports
Reply 5
Sucks if that is true. Can anyone else confirm?
simonnw
Sucks if that is true. Can anyone else confirm?

Xbox live yes.
PSN no.

Lived on campus last year and had both in the flat :tongue:
tomnisbet
Yea I have recieved negative information about being able to play online on games consoles as well! I'm moving into the student village to and would love it if anyone knew a way round 'Resnet's' rules? I've been searching forums that have given me some information, but it would be far better if someone who has been to UWE to let me know on how to connect my 360 to Resnet??? Cheers.

Xbox live you can, just connect to the internet via wireless or ethernet cable the same as you would your laptop/desktop.
Reply 8
I read that if you change your PC MAC address to the same as your PS3, then log in with your PC, then turn it off, the PS3 works because the Resnet system uses the MAC address to register devices and it has done. Is this true?
Reply 9
MAC address is unique to each network device, so you aren't really able to change it.
Reply 10
Mullseye
MAC address is unique to each network device, so you aren't really able to change it.

I read about Macshift which is software to clone another device's MAC address, although the true address doesn't actually change.
If you ask the IT staff and aren't rude to them they might unblock the ports for you.

Saying that I asked them and they said no...
Hey guys,

Thought adding to this discussion might help a few of you. Last year I was at student village and im a hardcore pc gamer so actually being able to play certain games was important to me.

Before moving in I also read that resnet were difficult to deal with when asking for ports to be opened but after actually emailing them myself when I got there due to certain problems I was having they were brilliant. I mainly dealt with Paul Smith the Co-ordinator and every port was opened that I asked for within a small time period. (max 2 days).

Some advice when emailing them for requests is, well be polite first you can imagine how many emails they get every day. Also include the ports list and what they are for (eg. EA game servers / ventrillo) Court name/block/flat number as I was asked this on many occasions. Include your Uwe email address if emailing from another address.

Hope you lot have a good time in the village, expect amazingly low pings and extremely high bandwidth waiting to be burned up. Happy gaming. Hope this helped.

Latest

Trending

Trending