The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey guys, saw this thread and thought I might join in the fun, because it's basically about MY LIFE right now anyway.

So I applied for medicine last year and did fairly well, got two offers, to Birmingham and Durham/Newc and all that jazz. Had AAAB at AS but cocked up royally at A2 am on ABB atm one of which is being re-marked and will *hopefully* become an A. Anyone have any advice on were's good to apply to? I may consider grovelling to Birmingham as I loved the uni and am so gutted, need to take stock and see where I went wrong. But thankfully my parents are supportive so instead of being shoved into clearing and forced to take biomed I have another chance to prove myself. I don't really know what went wrong as I worked hard, I think I just went into panic mode and hence the poor exam marks. My other B, in physics, is 50UMS away, dunno if I could move it up by Jan.
Ulo - Hello. I'm off to bed now but welcome to the lepers' colony. :smile: Crossing my fingers that your exam goes up a grade. I also put two exams into remark today. Desperate measures.
Reply 22
vas876
LOL I meant liverpool

Get the same person who did it last time to do it again. (reference and predicted grades)

Well if there were any more than 20 marks away, id not boather.

How many marks were each from the A?

Vas, did you get an unconditional from Penninsula based on your ABB A2grades, or did they wait until you got your Jan results to put that through? Many thanks
Ulo
Vas, did you get an unconditional from Peninsula based on your ABB A2grades, or did they wait until you got your Jan results to put that through? Many thanks

The Offer was 400 UCAS points to include 360 Points from A2.

So the standard offer was AABa, so no it was not immediately unconditional.

By august Results day, I was on AAAb. (even though i had thins from March 2010, just had to wait for Biology to be Cashed in)
Reply 24
ImWithTheBand
Are there any? I've been searching on the web and I can't find any resit success stories for Medicine, even though there are clearly a few med schools that purport to not discriminate against resit candidates. Does anyone know anyone or can you point me to any posts that demonstrate that resitting a poor A2 year is worthwhile, as a route into Medicine.

Thanks in advance.

Vas got in after resitting. He was only a few UMS marks away from AAB (he got ABB).

vas876

By august Results day, I was on AAAb. (even though i had thins from March 2010, just had to wait for Biology to be Cashed in)

You are so ******* awesome for sticking it out. Then again, I always knew you'd make it. :biggrin:
Reply 25
vas876

Right, I see - I think I might apply there, seems like a nice medical school, I didn't have room to give them a go last year! I'll probably be picking your brain soon enough!
ImWithTheBand
The other thing I forgot to ask was, if you do know of or have personal experience of resitting A levels and entry into medicine, were extenuating circumstances involved?

Your post is a few days old and people have already applied but I reckon I'll throw in my thoughts anyway. It can't hurt.

I resat my A2 exams in a gap year after failing life.

I had offers from Manchester (AAB) and Liverpool (AAB) in year 13, I had done reasonable well at AS and GCSE so I grew cocky and lazy and didn't work much for A2, ended up with ABC and didn't get into medicine. No extenuating circumstances, just me being an arrogant idiot.

I was expecting it after I had taken the exams and did some research into how to get into medicine, found out that some universities would accept resit candidates. I could technically apply to Liverpool, Lancaster, Peninsula, BSMS, Keele, Southampton, Sheffield, East Anglia and Oxford apparently [D-:].

I decided to apply to Liverpool, Peninsula, Sheffield and BSMS. Got offers from Liverpool and Peninsula. Resat and am now looking forward to starting at Peninsula in about a month. I saw your other post were you listed your grades. Your GCSEs are similar to mine, and your UKCAT was higher than mine and over 700 which is good. You can improve on it further this time if you practice, I cant recommend that enough.

Based purely on my experience I would recommend applying to Liverpool and Peninsula. Obviously it's your choice in the end but I would say applying to Peninsula is a must. From what I gathered in my interview they were really understanding and if they could see you had an interest and the potential to do Medicine they would overlook the resits.

This year less medical schools are accepting resit applicants without extenuating circumstances. Here's a handy table of those that will still consider us: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

Obviously competition is going to be tougher this year but if I can get offers as a resit applicant than I reckon you stand a decent shot if you don your interviews. And seeing as you got 3 offers last year I reckon you probably can. Good luck with your application mate and if you want to know something else from me just ask.
fr3shmang0
Your post is a few days old and people have already applied but I reckon I'll throw in my thoughts anyway. It can't hurt.

I resat my A2 exams in a gap year after failing life.

I had offers from Manchester (AAB) and Liverpool (AAB) in year 13, I had done reasonable well at AS and GCSE so I grew cocky and lazy and didn't work much for A2, ended up with ABC and didn't get into medicine. No extenuating circumstances, just me being an arrogant idiot.

I was expecting it after I had taken the exams and did some research into how to get into medicine, found out that some universities would accept resit candidates. I could technically apply to Liverpool, Lancaster, Peninsula, BSMS, Keele, Southampton, Sheffield, East Anglia and Oxford apparently [D-:].

I decided to apply to Liverpool, Peninsula, Sheffield and BSMS. Got offers from Liverpool and Peninsula. Resat and am now looking forward to starting at Peninsula in about a month. I saw your other post were you listed your grades. Your GCSEs are similar to mine, and your UKCAT was higher than mine and over 700 which is good. You can improve on it further this time if you practice, I cant recommend that enough.

Based purely on my experience I would recommend applying to Liverpool and Peninsula. Obviously it's your choice in the end but I would say applying to Peninsula is a must. From what I gathered in my interview they were really understanding and if they could see you had an interest and the potential to do Medicine they would overlook the resits.

This year less medical schools are accepting resit applicants without extenuating circumstances. Here's a handy table of those that will still consider us: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

Obviously competition is going to be tougher this year but if I can get offers as a resit applicant than I reckon you stand a decent shot if you don your interviews. And seeing as you got 3 offers last year I reckon you probably can. Good luck with your application mate and if you want to know something else from me just ask.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post, mate, it's a really encouraging story to hear.

I have lots of questions. And wonder if you would PM with the answers, please.

1) How did you organize the resits? Did you self-study or did you get a tutor or go back into school/college?

2) How did you address your underperformance on your Personal Statement, or did you not?
Ulo
Hey guys, saw this thread and thought I might join in the fun, because it's basically about MY LIFE right now anyway.

So I applied for medicine last year and did fairly well, got two offers, to Birmingham and Durham/Newc and all that jazz. Had AAAB at AS but cocked up royally at A2 am on ABB atm one of which is being re-marked and will *hopefully* become an A. Anyone have any advice on were's good to apply to? I may consider grovelling to Birmingham as I loved the uni and am so gutted, need to take stock and see where I went wrong. But thankfully my parents are supportive so instead of being shoved into clearing and forced to take biomed I have another chance to prove myself. I don't really know what went wrong as I worked hard, I think I just went into panic mode and hence the poor exam marks. My other B, in physics, is 50UMS away, dunno if I could move it up by Jan.

How was the rest of your application, UKCAT etc? You clearly have excellent GCSEs if you got into Brum. You can apply to AAB universities if your remark bumps you up to AAB, without the need to resit.
Reply 29
Does anyone know wether universities would know if you retake a whole course instead of resitting the exam only in Jan. or in June???
Reply 30
Hi vas876 and fr3shmang0
I've been constantly trying to find someone in your position, and would like to congratulate you guys at your places at peninsula! well deserved!

Can I also give you my profile and you can tell me what you think of my chances?

2010 Medicine Application
GCSEs 3A* 3A 3B 1C

ACTUAL ALEVEL: ABB (Bio, Chem, Math respectively)
Ive also still got that C in AS philosophy
UKCAT 640

[AS Levels were AAAC (Chem, Bio, Maths, Philosophy) predicted AAA(Chem, Bio, Maths)]

Having read your previous posts I feel that BSMS and Peninsula, and maybe Keele would be pretty good choices considering my current position. Am I right?
(And I will have to get my grades up to AAA)

And will Keele, BSMS and Peninsula all require an A or B in my AS that Ive dropped (philosophy-C)??

Chrs!! x

Thanks in Advance!
Maria1234
Does anyone know wether universities would know if you retake a whole course instead of resitting the exam only in Jan. or in June???

Whether you retook one module, 3 module, 6 modules or the whole course they still consider it as a 3rd year.

So no difference.
Reply 32
cI am considering redoing whole chemisrty course during my gapyear and resiting some other biology modules............. would college discriminate me against 3year college
Maria1234
cI am considering redoing whole chemisrty course during my gapyear and resiting some other biology modules............. would college discriminate me against 3year college

The places that allow you to retake, either just use your predicted grades and compare you to all the applicants as standard, or just compare all the re-sitters together.

Either way if they accept re-sitters they shouldn't discriminate.
vas876
The places that allow you to retake, either just use your predicted grades and compare you to all the applicants as standard, or just compare all the re-sitters together.

Either way if they accept re-sitters they shouldn't discriminate.

Are BSMS pretendy resitter friendly? I've now heard from people getting into Keele, Peninsular and UEA (and Liverpool but that appears to have changed for 2011) as resit candidates but not BSMS. Which is surprising given they say they see it as a commitment to medicine.
ImWithTheBand
Are BSMS pretendy resitter friendly? I've now heard from people getting into Keele, Peninsular and UEA (and Liverpool but that appears to have changed for 2011) as resit candidates but not BSMS. Which is surprising given they say they see it as a commitment to medicine.

Its just more difficult, as BSMS compare all re sitters together, and those with AAB achieved are score higher than those with ABB achieved even though they both have AAA predictions.
klikdizzle
Hi vas876 and fr3shmang0
I've been constantly trying to find someone in your position, and would like to congratulate you guys at your places at peninsula! well deserved!

Can I also give you my profile and you can tell me what you think of my chances?

2010 Medicine Application
GCSEs 3A* 3A 3B 1C

ACTUAL ALEVEL: ABB (Bio, Chem, Math respectively)
Ive also still got that C in AS philosophy
UKCAT 640

[AS Levels were AAAC (Chem, Bio, Maths, Philosophy) predicted AAA(Chem, Bio, Maths)]

Having read your previous posts I feel that BSMS and Peninsula, and maybe Keele would be pretty good choices considering my current position. Am I right?
(And I will have to get my grades up to AAA)

And will Keele, BSMS and Peninsula all require an A or B in my AS that Ive dropped (philosophy-C)??

Chrs!! x

Thanks in Advance!

Hey.

Your GCSEs meet the requirements for those schools and while they obviously aren't all As and A*s you can still get an offer.

I believe the universities you mentioned will accept you with AAA in A2 and the C in AS. But can I recommend you also look into the Uni of East Anglia as your possible 4th choice? They also accept resits but their typical offer is AAB with a B in a 4th AS so you would have to resit if you decide to apply.

Peninsula. BSMS and Keele are good choices, I would guess that East Anglia would be an all right choice too. Just a heads up on BSMS though, while they consider resit applicants and aren't biased against them it is a very competitive university anyway, with one of the highest number of applicants for medicine. If you like the school and course I would say apply. I applied and even though I didn't even get an interview I don't regret it, may as well apply to places you'd like to go.

Liverpool and Lancaster accepted resits last year also, I'm not entirely sure if they are doing so this year, but if you're interested may as well contact them and find out.

I've done it before but I would fully endorse Peninsula, not only because I'm going but because they seem quite down to earth about resits and won't judge it against you if you can show commitment and the ability to rectify it.

Heres a couple of links that might be useful:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

I hope i've helped somewhat. Good luck with your application, PM me if you have any more questions :biggrin:
Reply 37
my school has a Year 14 for those who are resitting. this year there were 3 reapplying after resits. They all got into med schools and none had extenuating circumstances and we are an ordinary state school. it made me feel a lot better coz I missed my offer by 17 UMS and I am resitting. I will find out where they applied to.
Reply 38
Thanks freshmangoe God bless you!
I really appreciate all your help and info you've provided, and Im sure others also are extremely greatful for all your threads and posts.

Eazy
x
Reply 39
This is such a helpful thread - thank you all who've posted. Makes me not want to crawl up and die in a corner.
I'd like to know what you guys think my chances are of successfully resitting and getting a med offer this time round would be.
I was rejecting from all 4 of my uni's without interview in the 2010 UCAS cycle.

My GCSE's are 8A*s and 3 and 1/2 As. But my A-level results turned out to be absolutely atrocious. BCCbb (geography, biology, chemistry, maths, critical thinking respectively). i don't have any extenuating circumstances other than i was ill in one of chem exams, my school knew about it but i didn't submit a doctors letter to the exam board because it cos 30 quid (and i'm piss poor, lol). But i wish i had now :frown:

I have plenty of work experience and i know if i resat some modules i can push my grades up to AAA, i just need someone to believe in me. I've done lots of volunteering with St John Ambulance and with my local hospital and i was deputy head girl. I think i took on too much and sort crashed and burned.

What do you think guys? Is all hope lost? :s-smilie:
I was thinking about applying to BSMS and the foundation courses at UEA and Soton and then 2 non-medical (maybe paramedic science).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :yep:

Latest