The Student Room Group

Clicky joints (like all the time)

Ok im 16 and my joints are always clicking. It always happens when get out of bed (e.g. my legs and ankles) or stand up after sitting down for a while. My wrist also clicks a lot which has hurt at times (quite rarely though).

Does anyone else get this?

Its kinda worrying me because of im scared of getting arthiritis or something at a young age. Is there anyway to strengthen joints?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have the same thing, every bone in my body clicks - neck, hips, elbows knees, shoulders, ankles...

My hips are the worst, they click sooo loudly, and my elbows make a kinda crunching squelchy noise. I'd be very interested to know if it's a sign of anything bad to come, I always thought it was fine.
Reply 2
This means that you do not have enough calcium in your body, it is not healthy because during a click air can get trapped in your joints; but since you are young don't worry about that.

Increase your calcium intake, if you don't like milk, try soya milk, that usually tastes nice there is one called "So good" or something, also cheese is really nice, or just take daily calcium supplements but the natural way is better...

Feynman.
flipflop2
Ok im 16 and my joints are always clicking. It always happens when get out of bed (e.g. my legs and ankles) or stand up after sitting down for a while. My wrist also clicks a lot which has hurt at times (quite rarely though).

Its kinda worrying me because of im scared of getting arthiritis or something at a young age. Is there anyway to strengthen joints?

Ok I'm no doctor, but this is screaming 'hypermobility syndrome' at me.... I have it and suffer with it, although many people have it and have no problems at all.

You have the right idea about strengthening joints... that is the way to go if you are hypermobile... I find Pilates to be the best thing for me - when I do it regularly I have completely pain free days and forget all about it. I do pilates in a studio which is really expensive but very effective. If you can't afford that, pilates with a gym ball is the next best thing, so find out where your local floor work pilates class is - i think they're usually around £5 a session and pilates is quite trendy these days so they should have classes at your local lesiure centre.

It is not likely that it is arthiritis or anything like that - but I would go to the doctor and ask them to refer you to a physio just to check out for sure what it is.

I don't want to scare you about hypermobility syndrome, as I've already said you can have it without pain, but just need to be aware of it. Can you do any 'party tricks'... like feet behind head, bending knees back, twisting joints further than other people can? If you stay in one position for a while does it make you ache/sore? All of those things suggest you could be hypermobile...

But definatley see a doctor if you are worried about it.

Good luck hope you find out what it could be :p:
cod liver oil is good for the joints too apparently.

mine are doing my head in at the min, tis a side effect of some tabs i'm on though.
Reply 5
Hmm my joints click all the time too, and I don't think it's to do with calcium. I am the biggest dairy fan ever and am pretty sure I get enough of the stuff! It's more a genetic thing for me, my dad clicks in exactly the same places it's scary!

Cxx
Reply 6
pattirudi23

I don't want to scare you about hypermobility syndrome, as I've already said you can have it without pain, but just need to be aware of it. Can you do any 'party tricks'... like feet behind head, bending knees back, twisting joints further than other people can? If you stay in one position for a while does it make you ache/sore? All of those things suggest you could be hypermobile...
:p:

Cant do any 'party tricks' with my bones. In terms of sitting in a position for too long, i can get back pain but i dont think its related to my joint problems.
Reply 7
i would say drink cod liver oil and milk more.
Reply 8
I get that too, my fingers, toes, elbows, knees and wrists all click. But i also drink a lot of milk so i dont think it is that.
Reply 9
Everytime i bend my knees/crouch they click. Every. Single. Time.
i had that problem at the age of 14/15 and i went to te doctors about it, they said a lot of was to do with joints growing faster than the muscles surrounding them, or the other way round i can't remember, but it happenes to a fair number of people between the ages of 14 and 17 but do as other people have said, take cod liver oil (capsules will be best[avaliable from most health shops and supermarkets]) and increase calcium intake, and make sure you do regular exercise, it helps to make the joints more supple and will therefore help your joints not to click.
Reply 11
i have this also. Every time I walk up or down the stairs my knees click. My fingers always click(if i 'crack' them). All of my fingers have 'party tricks' some of which i have been able to do since birth. I always used to point at things but it was always my finger ppl would look at as it was crooked.
flipflop2

My hip bones always click when I move, it sounds rather strange.
Pav27
Everytime i bend my knees/crouch they click. Every. Single. Time.

:ditto:
Reply 14
I used to get my knees clicking on the odd occasion, but since I managed to bash both of them on the wall whilst in NZ, they have been clicking more often, and occasionally going stiff but feeling ok again once clicked. I really should go see the doc about it.....
omg happens to me too, i jst ignore it cus nothin hurts, but when i walk somthin clicks in one of my feet, my knees do it too, my feet and my fingers, i dont drink much milk only in cups of tea, i dont like milk lol my mom and cousin do it too so maybe it is genetic :/
ajdabrill

Reply 17
Oh yeah, and I'm another one that thinks drinking more milk won't help. I have about 3/4 of a pint each day, plus other sources of calcium too.
Reply 18
Try taking a glucosamine with msm and chondrotin supplement, and cod liver oil.
I get that in my toes and quite badly in my left knee (which was dislocated playing rugby) and i expect to have rather bad athritis when im older. I can already 'feel' when its going to rain in my knee :frown: .