The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Guide to Canterbury's Nightlife

Scroll to see replies

katebushfan
Only a few seconds in and I started laughing. Some footage of people just sitting there eating or working with the caption 'Lively Atmosphere', haha.

Yeah... bear in mind that the video was shot in the day. :wink: I've seen them bars a LOT livelier than that!
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
B.C.De.Souza
Yeah... bear in mind that the video was shot in the day. :wink: I've seen them bars a LOT livelier than that!

Haha, I know, I just found it a little amusing ;p.
katebushfan
Haha, I know, I just found it a little amusing ;p.

Aye I can see why - 'lively and fun' and a shot of a girl walking across a room. hah.

Someone should do a video showing Massive Mungoes or something. That'd be better.:yep:
I think Orange St. is the best. I need to try out Hobgoblin, though, didn't realised they did Desperados. Woo-hoo.
Reply 64
I only ever liked going to the works on student nights. If you go other nights it's not the same atmosphere.
Also the Cuban is a funny place, party for the wrong reasons. It is filled with uncomfortable looking forty year old men and women grinding against each other. The music is kind of repetitive, but I found myself starting to enjoy it more and more, I was drinking more and more though :smile:
laughingwithpicasso
I think Orange St. is the best. I need to try out Hobgoblin, though, didn't realised they did Desperados. Woo-hoo.

I live on Orange street and its really not that great
rugbyladosc
I live on Orange street and its really not that great

I like it because it reminds me of home, there's a place like that that I used to go to a lot so it's slightly nostalgic for me. :o:
AfroNathan
I only ever liked going to the works on student nights. If you go other nights it's not the same atmosphere.
Also the Cuban is a funny place, party for the wrong reasons. It is filled with uncomfortable looking forty year old men and women grinding against each other. The music is kind of repetitive, but I found myself starting to enjoy it more and more, I was drinking more and more though :smile:

Ah, yeah. The Works is only good on a student night. I went on a Saturday - biggest mistake of my life. Felt like I was gonna get stabbed by the Canterbury massive. I've been to the Cuban once, it felt like some business meeting. Haha.

Ps. Just saw your profile, you're Rosie's friend, right?
laughingwithpicasso
I like it because it reminds me of home, there's a place like that that I used to go to a lot so it's slightly nostalgic for me. :o:

Bar Kandi is money laundering, I know her daughter.

But mums the word :wink:
Reply 69
Faustus Fotherby
Thread continues below! Keep reading!

FYI, The Works has a student night on Weds to and it's better than Monday night, but because The Venue is popular on Weds nights no UKC students really brave it.
Chill has a student night on Monday, and the drinks are cheap then, - sat is expensive BUT, you can sometimes print off vouchers that get you in free and give you a free drink. Friday nights at Chill are pretty good!
Studio 41 also has cheap nights on a Monday (SOAP) and every week is a themed week. I think SOAP is the cheapest monday night, £1 drinks etc. Remember you can get the bus into town until about half 10/11 pm! Hope this helps!
Reply 70
Which bar is known to be able to make many different cocktails?
Virtuti
Which bar is known to be able to make many different cocktails?

I've never had a cocktail on campus.

But in town there's Tacos Locos, which is a Mexican restaurant, and they have quite a big cocktail menu (and they're good). There's also the Cuban, which is a bar and restaurant. You can see their cocktail menu here:
http://www.thecuban.co.uk/bar.html

There are probably other places, but those are two that immediately come to mind.
Reply 72
>Anna<

But in town there's Tacos Locos, which is a Mexican restaurant, and they have quite a big cocktail menu (and they're good). There's also the Cuban, which is a bar and restaurant. You can see their cocktail menu here:

There are probably other places, but those are two that immediately come to mind.

Thanks Anna.
Reply 73
>Anna<

Sunday-Thursday they do brilliant deals too, usually :biggrin: 2-4-1s etc

Cocktails are really inconsistent there though. Clearly not all the staff are good at it!
BenjyUK
Sunday-Thursday they do brilliant deals too, usually :biggrin: 2-4-1s etc

Cocktails are really inconsistent there though. Clearly not all the staff are good at it!

Are you talking about the Cuban or Tacos Locos? If the latter then I'd agree...also went to a brilliant Ladies Night (2 for 1 cocktails) and then went back the next week and it was boring and restauranty :erm:

Kent makes cider?! Where'd you find that?
Yes, I've been stalking your profile. We also have 4 mutual friends on Facebook, but none of them are people :iiam: :ninja:
Reply 75
>Anna<
Are you talking about the Cuban or Tacos Locos? If the latter then I'd agree...also went to a brilliant Ladies Night (2 for 1 cocktails) and then went back the next week and it was boring and restauranty :erm:

Kent makes cider?! Where'd you find that?
Yes, I've been stalking your profile. We also have 4 mutual friends on Facebook, but none of them are people :iiam: :ninja:

Yeah Tacos Locos :/ Weirdddd place, gotta catch it on the right night I guess. Food is actually good though..

Haha you've never heard of Bids!? They sell it in extras now.
http://www.biddendenvineyards.com/
It's feckin strong for a cider, tastes a bit like a white wine. Or washing up liquid..

Haha you absolute creep :biggrin: i joke. Ahh..venue, canterbury coaches to london..things like that?
Bar Kandi is a cocktail bar, but it's quite expensive.
BenjyUK
Yeah Tacos Locos :/ Weirdddd place, gotta catch it on the right night I guess. Food is actually good though..

Haha you've never heard of Bids!? They sell it in extras now.
http://www.biddendenvineyards.com/
It's feckin strong for a cider, tastes a bit like a white wine. Or washing up liquid..

Haha you absolute creep :biggrin: i joke. Ahh..venue, canterbury coaches to london..things like that?

:lurk:

:p: Yeah, that sorta thing.

I was really disappointed, coming from Somerset, to see a distinct lack of cider in Kent! And, because you make that stuff sound so appealing, I think I'll have to give it a go!

And yeah, Tacos Locos is kinda weird. I think it depends a lot on who's working. There are some lads who're a bit younger than the rest of the staff and are pretty up for a party! But otherwise it's boring and restauranty.
Reply 78
Brilliant guide. Thanks for that.

I've heard theres around 300 pubs in Canterbury? I think I'll be trying a fair few out!
Reply 79
http://www.kentuni.com/bars-pubs/cherrytree-canterbury

Here's a review I did of the Cherry Tree, a proper popular student pub :wink:

There's also a bunch of other reviews of places in Canterbury on that website, but I don't recommend reading them because I personally f-ing hate that P.O.S company and their staff. :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending