The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
sakha1
Tbh, i haven't a clue what i'm going to write. Although, i was ill for one of my exams it doesn't explain why i didn't meet my predicted grades for all of my exams. Honest truth is i probably didn't try my best or else i wouldn't be in this mess now, i let other things get in the way. But i can't write that.
I'm going to see what my head of 6th form says, i'll let you know what she says. :smile:

Thankyou - I couldn't ask my personal tutor, she is a *****! I am in the same situation, I was ill during the exam period which didn't help and I did get a letter from the doctor at the time. But also, I was rushing my revision so that also contributed to the results-meaning I didn't work hard enough. :confused: SO CONFUSING
Aiboz
hey, what do you have in mind to say? I'm not sure what to say about why I'm resitting...

sakha1
Tbh, i haven't a clue what i'm going to write. Although, i was ill for one of my exams it doesn't explain why i didn't meet my predicted grades for all of my exams. Honest truth is i probably didn't try my best or else i wouldn't be in this mess now, i let other things get in the way. But i can't write that.
I'm going to see what my head of 6th form says, i'll let you know what she says. :smile:

ImWithTheBand
Yes, it's difficult to both sell yourself and self-flagellate on the SAME A4 sheet. :p:

conorcd
I honestly thought the referee would explain it for me! not sure all unis want an explanation. I have tried contacting the 3 from my school who resat this year and all got in somewhere but no answers yet. it might be worth checking with the unis you finally choose to see if they want an explanation in the ps or if it was only where I phoned.

Just to let you all know, my personal statement this year mentioned nothing about why i was re-sitting nothing at all, and no mention of me missing the grades first time.

I did however use about a quarter of my personal statement talking about what i have begun and would continue to be doing in my gap year.

My reference however included one sentence about how I was a handful of marks from the A's in two subjects and that i would be retaking a module in each to improve my scores.

Another note - Peninsula Don't Use the Personal statement or reference for selection to interview.

Peninsula Medical School Admissions

Re: A100 Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery

Thank you for your email. Our process when selecting students for interview is to rank the students using academic criteria (predicted or achieved A Level grades) and UKCAT scores. Although we do read the reference and personal statement these sections of the UCAS form are not used in the selection process.

UKCAT thresholds vary from year to year. As an example this year everyone with predicted grades selected for interview had an overall UKCAT score of 2500 or higher. When considering applications from candidates with achieved grades less weight was given to UKCAT scores.

As the UKCAT threshold varies so much from year to year, we cannot give any guidance regarding what scores you will need to achieve for 2011 entry. The selection criteria to be used this year is currently under review.

Kind regards
Reply 62
Hey everyone, inspiring thread.

I'm in a situation similar to many of you, got an AAB offer from Manchester (A in chem, deffered entry) which I missed by 6 UMS marks, getting A*AB - yup, B in chemistry (A* in geography, A in mechanics maths). A remark provided nothing extra.

Alot of begging later and even with alot of extra bonuses to my application (710 UKCAT, 2 weeks of hospital work exp. since my offer, completed gold DoE, extra AS in biology this year (B), going to a state school (:tongue:) and a bizzare situation of a chemistry paper we got back, went through with teacher and found exactly 6 marks that should have been awarded but weren't and it was too later for a retake... talk about a kick in the nuts..) there was no negotiation - A in chem or nothing... cool.

Of course the real kicker is Manchester only accept resit candidates in extentuating circumstances and only if they already held an offer, so my head and deputy head of 6th form are sending written word to Manchester asking to allow me to *reapply* with everything I've just mentioned.

Still, with the experience I've had so far I'm not holding my breath.

My uni options are cut down further by the fact I've only done AS biology; I think it's just Peninsula and Keele I'm able to apply to. I'm imagining the ones that require A2 bio (Liverpool and BSMS predominantly) are as anal about that as everything else? Would be great to hear anyone with evidence suggesting otherwise :biggrin:

Biomed's an option I'm looking at too. It's fairly galling tell you the truth, but I'm told a 4 year medical degree followed by the 3 year Biomed course makes for better doctors, although with a gap year and plans to join the forces through a cadetship, those 2 extra years out of the career progression might hurt.

I guess I'm venting more than anything else here, just thought I'd throw in my story too. On the plus side, it gives me the excuse to beat my mate's score of 780 in the UKCAT...that might even make the whole thing worthwhile actually...
Reply 63
I lost my place coz of final ocr chem exam, as did my 2 friends. I got an email back from manchester after I contacted them. it said they weren't accepting any resit applications even with extenuating circumstances! ( I had an offer from them). That was around the 23rd August. I am hoping they made a mistake/ hadn't realised I had held an offer! can you let me know if you hear anything. I was waiting til I get my ukcat score before I dared contact them again!
Reply 64
oh and what did your mate do to get 780? I need all the help I can get!
Reply 65
conorcd
I lost my place coz of final ocr chem exam, as did my 2 friends. I got an email back from manchester after I contacted them. it said they weren't accepting any resit applications even with extenuating circumstances! ( I had an offer from them). That was around the 23rd August. I am hoping they made a mistake/ hadn't realised I had held an offer! can you let me know if you hear anything. I was waiting til I get my ukcat score before I dared contact them again!

Sure, I'll post on this thread when I hear something. Doesn't bode well though assuming it's not a mistake.

Ha, I'm not sure he prepared at all, he's just annoyingly smart. Going to Oxford to study medicine with his 3A*s and I've never seen him revise :rolleyes:
Reply 66
vas876
Just to let you all know, my personal statement this year mentioned nothing about why i was re-sitting nothing at all, and no mention of me missing the grades first time.

I did however use about a quarter of my personal statement talking about what i have begun and would continue to be doing in my gap year.

My reference however included one sentence about how I was a handful of marks from the A's in two subjects and that i would be retaking a module in each to improve my scores.

Another note - Peninsula Don't Use the Personal statement or reference for selection to interview.

Thanks :smile:That was really helpful. Once I have done my personal statement, please could you to have a look at the 'gap year paragraph'? I'll PM you. I would greatly appreciate it. If not, its fine :smile:

For peeps considering PMD, I have e-mailed them and got this reply:
"We can confirm that we do consider applications from re-sit students. Please note that the senior members of our Admissions team will be meeting in the middle/end of September to set the lowest grades, achieved by students in their first sitting, that we will accept. We would advise that you to phone the Admissions Office after the 20th September 2010 when we will hopefully be able to give you an answer."
I will be contacting them after the 20th September 2010 and I'll let you know. Hopefully it'll remain 300 points because thats all I've got. :o:
Aiboz
Thanks :smile:That was really helpful. Once I have done my personal statement, please could you to have a look at the 'gap year paragraph'? I'll PM you. I would greatly appreciate it. If not, its fine :smile:

"We can confirm that we do consider applications from re-sit students. Please note that the senior members of our Admissions team will be meeting in the middle/end of September to set the lowest grades, achieved by students in their first sitting, that we will accept. We would advise that you to phone the Admissions Office after the 20th September 2010 when we will hopefully be able to give you an answer."
I will be contacting them after the 20th September 2010 and I'll let you know. Hopefully it'll remain 300 points because thats all I've got. :o:

PM me then post it in the PS Helper section, and Ill assign your PS to me.

I should be a confirmed PS helper in the next few days.

I have a feeling that they may raise it to 320, but fingers crossed.
Reply 68
Aiboz

snap so fingers crossed
Reply 69
AdamF
Hey everyone, inspiring thread.

I'm in a situation similar to many of you, got an AAB offer from Manchester (A in chem, deffered entry) which I missed by 6 UMS marks, getting A*AB - yup, B in chemistry (A* in geography, A in mechanics maths). A remark provided nothing extra.

Alot of begging later and even with alot of extra bonuses to my application (710 UKCAT, 2 weeks of hospital work exp. since my offer, completed gold DoE, extra AS in biology this year (B), going to a state school (:tongue:) and a bizzare situation of a chemistry paper we got back, went through with teacher and found exactly 6 marks that should have been awarded but weren't and it was too later for a retake... talk about a kick in the nuts..) there was no negotiation - A in chem or nothing... cool.

Of course the real kicker is Manchester only accept resit candidates in extentuating circumstances and only if they already held an offer, so my head and deputy head of 6th form are sending written word to Manchester asking to allow me to *reapply* with everything I've just mentioned.

Still, with the experience I've had so far I'm not holding my breath.

My uni options are cut down further by the fact I've only done AS biology; I think it's just Peninsula and Keele I'm able to apply to. I'm imagining the ones that require A2 bio (Liverpool and BSMS predominantly) are as anal about that as everything else? Would be great to hear anyone with evidence suggesting otherwise :biggrin:

Biomed's an option I'm looking at too. It's fairly galling tell you the truth, but I'm told a 4 year medical degree followed by the 3 year Biomed course makes for better doctors, although with a gap year and plans to join the forces through a cadetship, those 2 extra years out of the career progression might hurt.

I guess I'm venting more than anything else here, just thought I'd throw in my story too. On the plus side, it gives me the excuse to beat my mate's score of 780 in the UKCAT...that might even make the whole thing worthwhile actually...

I missed my offer last year and if it is any consolation to you time wise, i took a gap year to resit and was unsuccessful so am doing a 4 year degree, meaning i would done 5 years of studying and a year of work before doing the 4year course. Medicine isn't something that has to be rushed into and you may find at the end that you don't want to do it if you take the GEP route. i'm currently wondering whether med is worth it even though i have spent the last 5 years giving it everything to get in...
kc91
I missed my offer last year and if it is any consolation to you time wise, i took a gap year to resit and was unsuccessful so am doing a 4 year degree, meaning i would done 5 years of studying and a year of work before doing the 4year course. Medicine isn't something that has to be rushed into and you may find at the end that you don't want to do it if you take the GEP route. i'm currently wondering whether med is worth it even though i have spent the last 5 years giving it everything to get in...

I don't think anyone on this thread is rushing into medicine... quite the reverse in fact.
Reply 71
tbh I'm planning to do another degree if I don't get in this time, then going for grad entry if I can.
I've just been on the med reapplicants thread. is it worse to get 4 rejections or to get offers and miss grades? they all have AAB or higher so I am now miserable again. hope I get a decent ukcat score! has everyone done better than last year? hope so
conorcd
tbh I'm planning to do another degree if I don't get in this time, then going for grad entry if I can.
I've just been on the med reapplicants thread. is it worse to get 4 rejections or to get offers and miss grades? they all have AAB or higher so I am now miserable again. hope I get a decent ukcat score! has everyone done better than last year? hope so

Its probably rse to get four rejections. At least when you had an offer and missed it, you proved to yourself that you were good enough to get an offer.

Personally I got four rejections last year, this year I applied to 3 Standard Medicine Courses, 1 Foundation Med Course and then my actual legitimate alternative degree, with the plan to go via GEP to Med.

So had I received 4 rejections again, I would have taken my UCL offer to study Molecular bio, then applied in my first year, as a school leaver. Then apply in my 3rd year as a graduate.

That said I know someone who recived 12 rejections and is now starting medicine.
Reply 73
vas876
Its probably rse to get four rejections. At least when you had an offer and missed it, you proved to yourself that you were good enough to get an offer.

Personally I got four rejections last year, this year I applied to 3 Standard Medicine Courses, 1 Foundation Med Course and then my actual legitimate alternative degree, with the plan to go via GEP to Med.

So had I received 4 rejections again, I would have taken my UCL offer to study Molecular bio, then applied in my first year, as a school leaver. Then apply in my 3rd year as a graduate.

That said I know someone who recived 12 rejections and is now starting medicine.

12 Rejections? wow.
What do you think about trying to do an access to medicine course if I don't get in this year.
Also, did you get my pm?

Pythia
Reply 74
vas876

tbh I would look at 4 rejections as unlucky choices/ maybe not selling yourself on the ps- not that people weren't good enough. Don't think my ps was great-I got interviews at places who go by ukcat.I agree it must knock your confidence tho.
I'm more angry at myself and my school ( most of my year got D or U in the final chemistry exam due to a "mix-up over the syllabus" ).
have the horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that I have had my chance and lost it. so many unis won't look at resitters and thosae that do will have loads of us. that's why I thought it must be easier for reapplicants who have their grades.
still if someone can apply with 12 rejections, I can pull myself together and try again...and..again?
thanks for your reply...puts it in perspective
Pythia
12 Rejections? wow.
What do you think about trying to do an access to medicine course if I don't get in this year.
Also, did you get my pm?

Pythia

Yep im getting to you. :smile:
Reply 76
ImWithTheBand
Ulo - Hello. I'm off to bed now but welcome to the lepers' colony. :smile: Crossing my fingers that your exam goes up a grade. I also put two exams into remark today. Desperate measures.

Hey - my grade went up! I've got AAB but considering still resitting the physics in Jan - but I'd only apply to AAB places and make it clear I'm only resitting physics for the sake of it. Any news at your end?
Ulo
Hey - my grade went up! I've got AAB but considering still resitting the physics in Jan - but I'd only apply to AAB places and make it clear I'm only resitting physics for the sake of it. Any news at your end?

Huzzah! Well done. That gives you a lot more choice now. You must be thrilled.
Ulo

You thinking of applying to Peninsula?
Reply 79
vas876
You thinking of applying to Peninsula?

Sort of - but they ask for AAA, don't they? I think I'd prefer to not have the pressure of having to get the grade - what do you think?

Latest