The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent English & American Lit students, help!

Could anyone who did English and American Literature at Kent last year give me some advice about the different modules? I got my handbook through the post this morning and although it gives info about the compulsory modules, I cant find much on the optional ones! How many do we have to choose and what do they involve? And which are the best to study? Any advice would be appreciated:smile:
My favourites are Fiction, Truth and Politics and Childhood and Adolesence in literature. Early Drama is a lot of work and I wouldn't bother with it, not much fun unless ur into medieval church history.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
oh dear...I've chosen Early Drama! That's only because I'm doing joint honours so had to choose between Early Drama (30 credits) or Romanticism and Critical Theory (45 credits)....if I chose the second one I didnt have the chance to choose any wild modules, which made me sad because I wanted to do forensic science.

I got sent an email from the lecturer for early drama saying that reading the bible (only certain bits) is the best preparation for the module! Not my cup of tea at all but hey ho!
Ah yeah the Bible is basically a required text...You have to buy books from the English Office as well, they cost £15...a book by AC Cawley...can't remember what else, I'd help u out with notes but I barely passed it!
Romanticism and Critical Theory was a great module, I loved it!
Hey! I chose my modules a few days and took early drama...i took sociology though for a bit of variety. :smile: i cant wait!
Hey Guys!

Just finished my first year doing Eng and Am Lit with Creative Writing.

First things first- Romanticism. Yes, you do need to buy the textbooks, for they are your gods. Read Frankenstein and some Jane Austen novel-wise to get yourself in the swing of things, and I'd recommend Shelley, Keats and Blake for pre-uni reading. For Critical Theory, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE SECOND TERM TO START READING. The biggest mistake of my first year.

Critical Practice is one of your compulsory modules- it's quite boring, but easy to pass if you get your head down (I hate learning about syntax and all that rubbish, and I still got a 2:1 lol).

If there's anything else, just ask!

Amy x
Reply 6
oh dear....I chose Early Drama..because my friend was like 45 credit for 1 module is difficult... :s-smilie:

so basically.. few terms to sum up the difference...
EARLY DRAMA= bible, medevial church history
ROMANTICSM= jane austen, frankenstien..

right?

if so, i am going to change my modules!!! even if it means i have excess credit.....
Reply 7
princessamy1989
Hey Guys!

Just finished my first year doing Eng and Am Lit with Creative Writing.

First things first- Romanticism. Yes, you do need to buy the textbooks, for they are your gods. Read Frankenstein and some Jane Austen novel-wise to get yourself in the swing of things, and I'd recommend Shelley, Keats and Blake for pre-uni reading. For Critical Theory, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE SECOND TERM TO START READING. The biggest mistake of my first year.

Critical Practice is one of your compulsory modules- it's quite boring, but easy to pass if you get your head down (I hate learning about syntax and all that rubbish, and I still got a 2:1 lol).

If there's anything else, just ask!

Amy x

Hello, you could come in very handy indeed :smile:

Do you have to be a very quick reader?

I love reading Jane Austen, but it does me a long time. I tried to get a head-start on things but managed to only completely read Northanger Abbey - I've only got through the first couple of chapters with the rest. Often I say to myself I will read the whole novel without giving in and watching the film before I finish reading.. and end up watching the film.

So do you get set texts to read and a deadline to finish them by? Or is it all pretty much up to you.

I really wish I was a good reader - I love literature, I just don't have great capacity for reading it :frown:

^ I know the above comment was a complete juxtaposition, yes.
Also which Jane Austen novels or just all of them, cos knowing my luck i'll read some before term and they wont even be on the reading list!
I'm a third year and I did Romanticism for my first year. For the exam, I had a question that went something along the lines of "What role do females play in the works of Jane Austen? Pick two novels and discuss." You could get away with reading two, therefore. Frankenstein is a must. I read that three times during first year for various modules. They give you set reading every week, so it'll be something like 'Read pages 50 - 121 in the Romanticism textbook and 70 - 110 in so-and-so.' Occasionally if it's a light week, you get 'Read this novel.' I liked those weeks. :-)

On a side note, if anyone has chosen History of Literature and Science, prepare yourself for one HELL of a year. That was AWFUL.
Reply 10
stars.shine.brightly
Also which Jane Austen novels or just all of them, cos knowing my luck i'll read some before term and they wont even be on the reading list!

Ha, weird that two posts ago was me posting as a fresher, and now I'm going into my third year! I'm PMing you some info on the module :smile:
cinnamon442

On a side note, if anyone has chosen History of Literature and Science, prepare yourself for one HELL of a year. That was AWFUL.

Haha - thankyou, I was just debating whether or not to choose that module! Perhaps I'll pass on that one.

What about it was awful?
cinnamon442

Oh dear, I've chosen that one! :eek: Why was it so bad?
You read a novel a week, ranging from Gulliver's Travels (the worst book in the world in my opinion for its ability to put all of my class to sleep) to The Time Machine, you have to attend every lecture since the seminar leader will give you a test on the lecture and books, which count towards your grade so if you miss one due to being ill or whatever, it counts BIG time, and you have to do two bibliography assessments, a 2000 word essay and a 4000 word essay.

It's the most amount of reading you'll probably get in your course and you're basically required to read it all within a few days and memorise enough of it that you can answer questions on it. On Frankenstein, she actually asked the question "What word did Shelley use in chapter 6 to describe the monster's most characteristic feature.' If you didn't remember, you lost marks.

It's just a pain, half of the books aren't sold in the bookshop so you have to try and get them from the library before they're all taken out by other people, and the books themselves are generally £7 each, so it's expensive overall too. I won't even get into the 4000 word essay. Took me two weeks.

Plus side is though, you don't have an exam for it.
Reply 14
cinnamon442
You read a novel a week, ranging from Gulliver's Travels (the worst book in the world in my opinion for its ability to put all of my class to sleep) to The Time Machine, you have to attend every lecture since the seminar leader will give you a test on the lecture and books, which count towards your grade so if you miss one due to being ill or whatever, it counts BIG time, and you have to do two bibliography assessments, a 2000 word essay and a 4000 word essay.

It's the most amount of reading you'll probably get in your course and you're basically required to read it all within a few days and memorise enough of it that you can answer questions on it. On Frankenstein, she actually asked the question "What word did Shelley use in chapter 6 to describe the monster's most characteristic feature.' If you didn't remember, you lost marks.

It's just a pain, half of the books aren't sold in the bookshop so you have to try and get them from the library before they're all taken out by other people, and the books themselves are generally £7 each, so it's expensive overall too. I won't even get into the 4000 word essay. Took me two weeks.

Plus side is though, you don't have an exam for it.

Thanks for that, i was looking into doing it but after what you said i will think again. I dont want something where i have to memorise every little detail and then get penalised if i dont. :-S
ying28
oh dear....I chose Early Drama..because my friend was like 45 credit for 1 module is difficult... :s-smilie:

so basically.. few terms to sum up the difference...
EARLY DRAMA= bible, medevial church history
ROMANTICSM= jane austen, frankenstien..

right?

if so, i am going to change my modules!!! even if it means i have excess credit.....

I think Early Drama is basically medieval stuff, before Shakespeare. You could do 20th century readings.
Reply 16
Turn Around
I got sent an email from the lecturer for early drama saying that reading the bible (only certain bits) is the best preparation for the module! Not my cup of tea at all but hey ho!

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm

this may make reading the bible a bit more fun. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending