The Student Room Group
I think if they are just for reading you should try and keep them for that. However, I don't think it will harm you to have them on at other times occasionally.
I wouldn't recommend wearing them all the time. Your eyes will become lazy and you will end up dependent on them. Only wear them for the things you've been told to wear them for.
the more you werar the more dependent you become on them. why do you want to wear them anyway?
Reply 4
My sight got worse and worse until I started wearing my glasses all the time. So I don't think it will harm you.
Reply 5
92greenbottles
the more you werar the more dependent you become on them. why do you want to wear them anyway?

I was just wandering as sometimes it would be easier to keep them on than having to put them away and get them out all the time. Lazy i know haha.
Reply 6
I don't think it's going to make your eyes worse if you wear your glasses. After all, you have developed the problem whilst not wearing glasses. If the optician did not warn you that your new glasses may damage your eyes, it's probably OK to wear them all the time. You could always call them to double check.

It's quite normal for your vision to change over time, it's not caused by wearing glasses.
Reply 7
I have to wear mine all the time. When I was about 14, I was given some 'for reading' and then never wore them, which caused my eyesight to deteriorate dramatically, as a result of my eyes having to strain to see things, so now I have to wear them all the time otherwise I can't see properly at all. So I'd advise wearing them as much as possible if you can. However, some people say that wearing them too much is also bad for you.
It's fine to wear them all the time. They correct your close up stuff, and do not have any effect on your long distance sight. I have glasses for the opposite reason, and wear them nearly all the time.
Reply 9
Glasses ftl
Wore them for 4 years then just quit...my eyesight has kinda improved so has my appearance :wink:
You can wear them all the time if you want, but personally I don't as I don't want to become to reliant on them.
Ilora-Danon
I wouldn't recommend wearing them all the time. Your eyes will become lazy and you will end up dependent on them. Only wear them for the things you've been told to wear them for.

This idea that the more you wear glasses the worse your eyes become is a TOTAL FALLACY. for god's sake, you people are supposed to be intelligent.
Reply 12
there is no evidence that wearing glasses 'weakens your eyes' in any way. /thread
Reply 13
I would say it's okay to wear them all the time, it's impractical to have to take them on and off. I wear glasses because I'm short sighted and I wear them 90% of the time.
I wear my glasses all the time even to bed, in the bath etc, I'm short sighted so it helps. Also Specsavers have better metal in their frames unlike Rayners which seemed to fall apart or change shape. You can wear them all the time even if you have long-sightedness.
Reply 15
I'm the same as you, and I can't bother with the hassle of having the case with me all the time. Also I may loose them, it has happened before. Plus my glasses were prescribed for me when I'm reading watching tv or on the PC. That's almost all I do these days!
Duckandthat
This idea that the more you wear glasses the worse your eyes become is a TOTAL FALLACY. for god's sake, you people are supposed to be intelligent.
Then how come I became dependent on them then? Even my
Optician told me not to wear them all the time and I did and shortly became dependent.

It's not total fallacy at al.
There is no hardened evidence to suggest the likelihood of becoming too dependent on glasses that you wear unnecessarily all of the time, although some would report that happening. Your glasses are intended to improve your close-up sight only, given that your distance sight appears to be fine. It does beg the question slightly as to why you would want to wear them all of the time: for long periods at work or university, then it might be much easier to leave them on, but many would prefer to be without their glasses otherwise unless they are necessary.
I started out in the same position as you with my glasses. I chose just to wear them all the time in the end as I found it easier. It's up to you how often you wear them tbh.
Reply 19
I read somewhere that your eyes don't get worse by wearing glasses, but I've found I've become more dependent on mine since I first got them. Though I'm short sighted not long sighted like you!

I would just wear them for what they've told you to wear them for, but I don't think it will matter if you wear them occasionally more than you're supposed to, but I wouldn't wear them 24/7, like someone said above :smile:

Latest