The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
jayjaybird33
Ahh waiting on my reference and new ACT scores are giving me too much time to think!!! I'm starting to doubt my choices...

I've got
UCL
Edinburgh
Queen Mary
Essex
York
all for linguistics. Are there any schools that I might have over looked? Esp. in the London area.

King's College London? :p: Mauahahaha.
Although, they don't have a course that's called 'linguistics' - as far as I'm aware they have English Language and Communications which seems to revolve around linguistics :o:
mel0n
King's College London? :p: Mauahahaha.
Although, they don't have a course that's called 'linguistics' - as far as I'm aware they have English Language and Communications which seems to revolve around linguistics :o:

Ahhh! You're right it is a linguistics course(basically) ! :woo: Sneaky KCL really sneaky. :wink:

Edit : took out Edinburgh.. Wasn't to sold on Scotland tbh.
Reply 202
jayjaybird33
Ahhh! You're right it is a linguistics course(basically) ! :woo: Sneaky KCL really sneaky. :wink:

hmm now which school to boot out in its favor?? York? Queen Mary?
Essex has to stay though.

Hmmm on what basis would you boot it out? Whether it has a good UK reputation, international reputation? First decide which (two) are your least favourite, maybe? Then look at the course at each one and decide which you like least :p: and then look at the other factors surrounding it..

EDIT: I see you took out Edinburgh :p: Fair enough! :smile:
adam0311
Are you applying for the foundation course at Durham? They pretty much have the best deal. Unlike most schools offering the foundation year, Durham guarantees entry into a degree simply by passing the foudnation year. It isn't like King's college, or basically any other uni for that matter, where you have to get an A in everything to move on. The foundation year at Durham is simply added onto the degree. So you apply to Biology with foundation year. If you get an offer, you are already into the degree, all you have to do is pass. There are a couple people in the Durham University subforum that are doing biology with foundation year for 2010.

I know, i emailed them and they want me to apply to the Foundation course, however, i still kinda dont get it. They didnt tell me what their requirements for the foundation year and what to choose on my UCAS?
Reply 204
Ahh hihi everyone, I'm an American as well.
Except I'm obviously not nearly as prepared as most of you- I haven't written my personal statement yet. But I plan on working on it this week, and hopefully finishing it this weekend. Then hm. Yes! And I still need recs.

Ah well.
I'm looking to apply to Edinburgh and UCL for Scandinavian Studies - Norwegian (:heart:), and maybe Scandi/Linguistics for Edinburgh. I'm not quite sure yet, and I will also be applying to a handful of US schools that offer SS.

Buuut, I'm a bit worried. Should I apply for the foundation year for UCL? I have a 2170 (740 CR/710 M/710 W) in the SAT (retaking it soon, hoping to make closer to a 2300) and a 5/5/5 (Euro History, US history, Eng Lang) for AP exams last year. But don't they prefer 4 AP's? I'm taking like 4 or 5 more AP tests this may, but AGH. Yea. Maybe I should do Scandinavian Studies and History.
Oh right.
Also, do you guys think I should submit a Subject test for French?
Not sure.
Agh.
Alright.
Nice to know I'm not alone! :lazy:
catsss
Except I'm obviously not nearly as prepared as most of you- I haven't written my personal statement yet. But I plan on working on it this week, and hopefully finishing it this weekend. Then hm. Yes! And I still need recs.

Ah well.
I'm looking to apply to Edinburgh and UCL for Scandinavian Studies - Norwegian (:heart:), and maybe Scandi/Linguistics for Edinburgh. I'm not quite sure yet, and I will also be applying to a handful of US schools that offer SS.

Buuut, I'm a bit worried. Should I apply for the foundation year for UCL? I have a 2170 (740 CR/710 M/710 W) in the SAT (retaking it soon, hoping to make closer to a 2300) and a 5/5/5 (Euro History, US history, Eng Lang) for AP exams last year. But don't they prefer 4 AP's? I'm taking like 4 or 5 more AP tests this may, but AGH. Yea. Maybe I should do Scandinavian Studies and History.
Oh right.
Not sure.
Agh.
Alright.

I should probably go to sleep but I've been lurking around here all day trying to see if my presence made them look at my Personal Statment anyfaster (its been ONE WEEK!) ughh.. Good thing though.

I wouldn't apply for a foundation course UCL only wants you to do that if you don't have any AP's, SAT's or ACT's.
You should get in for sure if you're taking 4/5 APs this year.

How the H.E double hockey sticks did you get a 5 in Lang and US history!?! You wanna know how many people at my school got a 5 in US? Zero. Yup 0 out of 120. And on Lang only 2 out of 80 got it. (This is probably because we have block scheduling, so you only have the class for one semester.)

Also. I would submitt every qualification that you have.
kristinaalovesu
I know, i emailed them and they want me to apply to the Foundation course, however, i still kinda dont get it. They didnt tell me what their requirements for the foundation year and what to choose on my UCAS?

That's the point of foundation. There really isn't much involved with requirements. Because the whole point of foundation is for people who don't have the requirements. A solid PS and a high school diploma, alone, would put you in.
jayjaybird33

Edit : took out Edinburgh.. Wasn't to sold on Scotland tbh.

But your sold on essex?:confused:
adam0311
That's the point of foundation. There really isn't much involved with requirements. Because the whole point of foundation is for people who don't have the requirements. A solid PS and a high school diploma, alone, would put you in.

Holy coooooooooooow. Wow! i did not know that until now! :biggrin: What if i have the SAT and ACT scores?
catsss

Ah well.

Oh right.
Not sure.
Agh.
Alright.

Ahhh! Another Scand Studies person! :biggrin:
kristinaalovesu
Holy coooooooooooow. Wow! i did not know that until now! :biggrin: What if i have the SAT and ACT scores?

Then you have them. But foundation programs in general are meant for those who don't have anything. So I guess if they had any question about admitting you, having the ACT/SAT would seal the deal.

Write a solid PS and you should be good to go.
adam0311
But your sold on essex?:confused:

I know I know! But hey, their linguistics program is actually pretty good and I know I can get an unconditional from them where as in all the others I'm gonna get conditional based on my APs this year. And lets say come test day I crack under all the pressure, go crazy and bomb the tests, I'll atleast have a back up plan! :o:

It's my saftey school
adam0311
Then you have them. But foundation programs in general are meant for those who don't have anything. So I guess if they had any question about admitting you, having the ACT/SAT would seal the deal.

Write a solid PS and you should be good to go.

Great! Thank you very much for the info.
Reply 213
jayjaybird33
I should probably go to sleep but I've been lurking around here all day trying to see if my presence made them look at my Personal Statment anyfaster (its been ONE WEEK!) ughh.. Good thing though.

I wouldn't apply for a foundation course UCL only wants you to do that if you don't have any AP's, SAT's or ACT's.
You should get in for sure if you're taking 4/5 APs this year.

How the H.E double hockey sticks did you get a 5 in Lang and US history!?! You wanna know how many people at my school got a 5 in US? Zero. Yup 0 out of 120. And on Lang only 2 out of 80 got it. (This is probably because we have block scheduling, so you only have the class for one semester.)

Also. I would submitt every qualification that you have.

Alriight, thanks for the advice! :biggrin:

And loool, I was very well prepared? I'm not sure how to respond, my teachers were both excellent and I had kept up with the reading and tests all year in APUSH, so when studying time came around it was just a question of reviewing and making sure I was familiar with all the time periods and specific cases, and hm. Was fairly easy after that. And oh dear, we do block scheduling, but we get them year round. I can imagine it being much harder if you only have it for half the year. I don't think I could have if that that had been the case.

And oh my jesus i am so excited to submit everything :eek3:
How long is you guy's references. My teacher whipped it up in 15 minutes today during class and I think its too short. It's like 3/4's a page double spaced... O.o
Reply 215
jayjaybird33
How long is you guy's references. My teacher whipped it up in 15 minutes today during class and I think its too short. It's like 3/4's a page double spaced... O.o

3/4 of a page DOUBLE SPACED?? That does sound a bit short :colondollar: :colondollar: I was never shown mine, apparently a lot of colleges have a policy not to show you your personal statement, and I'm not aware of how I can have a look at it, though my teacher did scroll through slightly whilst I was sat there, which is why I think I can give you some input :p: - It wasn't double spaced and it was just under a page long.. I think they're usually about 3/4 of a page (normal spaced), I saw one of my mate's from another college/school and theirs was of around that length :colondollar: hope this helps :smile:
mel0n
3/4 of a page DOUBLE SPACED?? That does sound a bit short :colondollar: :colondollar: I was never shown mine, apparently a lot of colleges have a policy not to show you your personal statement, and I'm not aware of how I can have a look at it, though my teacher did scroll through slightly whilst I was sat there, which is why I think I can give you some input :p: - It wasn't double spaced and it was just under a page long.. I think they're usually about 3/4 of a page (normal spaced), I saw one of my mate's from another college/school and theirs was of around that length :colondollar: hope this helps :smile:

Can't you go on UCAS and look at it? I'm applying as an indivdual so I'm typing it in myself..

Seeing as I had to re-write half of it for her and then hand it back to her so she could fix her mistakes/redudancies. Maybe I should add too it (all she talked about was how I am a good student.) and give it back to her to proof?

I really didn't want this person to write it but my top reference choice might not have it done by the 27th (that's when UCAS changes the policy for people applying as indivduals.)
Reply 217
jayjaybird33
Can't you go on UCAS and look at it? I'm applying as an indivdual so I'm typing it in myself..

Seeing as I had to re-write half of it for her and then hand it back to her so she could fix her mistakes/redudancies. Maybe I should add too it (all she talked about was how I am a good student.) and give it back to her to proof?

I really didn't want this person to write it but my top reference choice might not have it done by the 27th (that's when UCAS changes the policy for people applying as indivduals.)

Isn't it your personal statement you type in yourself?? When I completed my UCAS section there was no section for me to access my reference! And that's a bit odd, if you're typing it in yourself (your reference) and making changes then it's hardly your teacher's opinion :p: maybe the international application thing works slightly differently..
mel0n
Isn't it your personal statement you type in yourself?? When I completed my UCAS section there was no section for me to access my reference! And that's a bit odd, if you're typing it in yourself (your reference) and making changes then it's hardly your teacher's opinion :p: maybe the international application thing works slightly differently..

I think it's different for international students. Like, I can see everything from the reference to my predicted scores. But I haven't changed anything. Mainly because she has yet to put it in! And I'm slightly anxious as I gave her my password and login and don't want her snooping around. :s-smilie:
mel0n

Probably so..

haha I'm not going to change what she said.. I just hope my other reference gets to me in time so I don't have to use this one.. :s-smilie:

She typed it up on a piece of paper and I'm just going to copy what she said into the box. I didn't want her to have access to my UCAS app. :p:

Quick Reply