The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Odds Of Getting Into Exeter?? Helpppp!

okay so i really wanna go to exeter to study psychology but i have no idea whether i stand a chance?
my predictions are A*AB (the A* is actually in psychology. and the the typical offers at exter are aaa/aab)
i have done a LOT of work experience and volunteering around psych
lots of extra curriculars
and my gcses were 1a* 9a's

is it worth applying??? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

You are practically in.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Definitely worth applying. With grades like that and your voluntary work, you stand a good chance. They'll especially like that you have experience in the field.

Go for it :smile:
ill give you odds of 1/2
Reply 4
The only way to find out is to try. You have the grades, so whats the harm?
Reply 5
its psychology, how hard can it be?
Reply 6
medi01
its psychology, how hard can it be?

psychologys up there with the most competitive..
Reply 7
luisaxxx
psychologys up there with the most competitive..

despite being up there with the least academic...
medi01

:hmmm: I would *really* like to see everyone on TSR who constantly belittles psychology to attempt to do an A Level in it. The least academic??? The amount of stuff that you need to learn, the skills that are required and the range of knowledge that is needed to get a decent grade is staggering. It actually makes me quite cross when people just go "oh psychology, meh, its on par with media studies or whatever'.

rant over.
luisaxxx
okay so i really wanna go to exeter to study psychology but i have no idea whether i stand a chance?
my predictions are A*AB (the A* is actually in psychology. and the the typical offers at exter are aaa/aab)
i have done a LOT of work experience and volunteering around psych
lots of extra curriculars
and my gcses were 1a* 9a's

is it worth applying??? :confused:

I think you have a really good chance =] just make sure your ps is up to scratch and I dare say they'll offer you a place =] then its just up to you to get the grades!
medi01

In what ways is it not academic?
Psychology at Exeter is very competitive and popular. With your grades and an impressive ps, you should stand a good chance but of course there is no 100% guarantee. If you don't give it a try, you get 0 chance.
Reply 12
emmahyphenleigh
:hmmm: I would *really* like to see everyone on TSR who constantly belittles psychology to attempt to do an A Level in it. The least academic??? The amount of stuff that you need to learn, the skills that are required and the range of knowledge that is needed to get a decent grade is staggering. It actually makes me quite cross when people just go "oh psychology, meh, its on par with media studies or whatever'.

rant over.

couldnt have said it better myself.
Reply 13
I held a conditional offer last year for Psychology with predicted AAB, and AS grades ABBD (I redid the D and got an A eventually, but it was a D at the time!). My GCSEs were nowhere near as good as yours with only 1 A*, 5 As and 5 Bs.

You definitely have a very good chance.
Reply 14
I'm applying for Psychology at Exeter and my grades are worse than yours, so why not?
Reply 15
fiona_x
I'm applying for Psychology at Exeter and my grades are worse than yours, so why not?

where else are you applying?? :smile:
Reply 16
Were you at the open day today by any chance?
Bath (they won't accept me, but I'm going for it anyway), Sheffield & Reading, need to decide on a fifth choice.
What about you?
(edited 13 years ago)
I talked to the Psychology admissions and lecturers for my brother (i want to study Biology and the tutors/admissions literally told me I would get in and said "we look forward to seeing you next year!". Anyway :smile:

For Psychology the admissions said they always give out offers of AAA, only AAB when there is exceptional circumstances. So unless that B isn't an A unfortunately it isn't looking too good.

Edit: but have a go anyway, you still have excellent predictions and unless they fill out all their places with AAA then you'll definitely be at the top of the pile.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Crazydavy
I talked to the Psychology admissions and lecturers for my brother (i want to study Biology and the tutors/admissions literally told me I would get in and said "we look forward to seeing you next year!". Anyway :smile:

For Psychology the admissions said they always give out offers of AAA, only AAB when there is exceptional circumstances. So unless that B isn't an A unfortunately it isn't looking too good.

Edit: but have a go anyway, you still have excellent predictions and unless they fill out all their places with AAA then you'll definitely be at the top of the pile.

hahaha i lol'd at that.

thanks this has been helpful. i realised i wanna go there for all the wrong reasons and theres no hope of me getting the aaa or anything like that. not gonna bother applying. ahh well thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 19
fiona_x
Were you at the open day today by any chance?
Bath (they won't accept me, but I'm going for it anyway), Sheffield & Reading, need to decide on a fifth choice.
What about you?

yes i did go but i dont think im going to apply anymore. it seems like its likely their only gonna make aaa offers which is just a no go for me. bath looks amazing but the aaa*/aaa reaaaally put me off. im stuck for a fifth choice aswell :frown: i think mine will be Sheffield.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending