The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Racism at King's College London

Scroll to see replies

mel0n
Seen it :h: And I'm studying here now and tbh it is FAR from racist so far!! :bigsmile: Everyone is really nice :smile:

Well good luck with the course, I hope it carries on this way for you :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
mel0n
Seen it :h: And I'm studying here now and tbh it is FAR from racist so far!! :bigsmile: Everyone is really nice :smile:

That girl said she experienced racism on the EMDP course, are you on that course?

edit: just saw that you weren't :colondollar:

I think she was talking about her experience of "racism" and "segregation" to those on the EMDP....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
That girl said she experienced racism on the EMDP course, are you on that course?

edit: just saw that you weren't :colondollar:

I think she was talking about her experience of "racism" and "segregation" to those on the EMDP....

Haha I'm not studying the EMDP or anything. But I've met some medical students and only one of them was non-ethnic :ninja: And I think it might be quite unlikely that she was the only black person on her course?? :s-smilie: I just find it a bit weird that she was the only one, because surely if there were more then they would have also experienced the segregation based on their skin colour :erm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
lol she wasn't the only one and I don't think the other students are allowed to speak about it with the court case and everything? I think she was just probably peed off that she failed or maybe she was just disliked in general (maybe due to her attitude) and is bitter about it.

We haven't heard both sides of the story...

Yeah true, but I dunno if there's any reason for other students on the course not being able to talk about it :ninja: Surely they would be allowed to speak for one side or the other to prove one right/wrong :p: And haha, no idea, but I, for one, haven't found it racist so far and don't think I will :p: Maybe she was just at the brunt of some unfortunate events and decided to claim they were all based on her race, I dunno!
mel0n
Maybe she was just at the brunt of some unfortunate events and decided to claim they were all based on her race, I dunno!

There are a couple of students who know people on the EMDP who've contributed here. However, we are talking about a time before they were actually on the course - what's true now wasn't necessarily true then. We'll may never know because the court documents say that no black students from that year's EMDP course were actually passed.

To many facts and written evidence here for it all to be hot air in my opinion.
Reply 85
Try reading her court paper.

Not only will it explain her supporter's choice of profile picture there, but why she should be grateful for positive discrimination.

She got ACC for her A-levels. The fact that she considers they robbed her by not putting her on the main course because she had the 'right grades' saids a lot about this sense that GKT wronged her when she failed final year and had to repeat it.
Reply 86
Her court papers are the court documents that state that "no black students from her EMDP course were passed".

I'm not sure if that is officially a fact, but students of all ethnicity on the main course passed that year.

And nope, that wasn't GKT trying to make themselves look less racist so they can solely target her and send their minions to bully her into failing her final year.
Annie120
Try reading her court paper...

She got ACC for her A-levels.

Firstly Annie, you really mustn't get in to so much of a muddle that you forget things and have to make a second reply - to yourself. Secondly, and most importantly, when you make a comment like 'try reading her court paper' you should be able to read yourself. If you do read the court paper, properly, you'll find she got not just 3 a-levels ACC, but also an additional AS level hence the correct points for the MBBS.

Whichever part of Kings College you work for you're a terrible advert for your department.
Reply 88
DrFeelgood77
Firstly Annie, you really mustn't get in to so much of a muddle that you forget things and have to make a second reply - to yourself. Secondly, and most importantly, when you make a comment like 'try reading her court paper' you should be able to read yourself. If you do read the court paper, properly, you'll find she got not just 3 a-levels ACC, but also an additional AS level hence the correct points for the MBBS.

Whichever part of Kings College you work for you're a terrible advert for your department.

Oh no DrFeelgood77.. Is this the way you reply when you run out of proper answers?
Correcting an obvious error is a proper answer. Thanks for contributing to the debate.
Reply 90
DrFeelgood77

But KCL doesn't accept people onto their course based on points, and points alone, therefore why would they make an exception for one person and open the doors to criticism from others for not being treated the same? :confused: I may be misunderstanding what you said, but she *did* get ACC regardless of whether she has another additional AS (which a lot of KCL courses require anyway), and the requirements for the MBBS are AAA :erm: (I'm not sure if they were lower then?). We don't know what other parts of her application were like.. Even if she DID meet the entry requirements, maybe her personal statement or interview weren't even good enough yet they still gave her a chance, but on the extended course instead :dontknow:

All of that aside, what course did she apply for in the first place? :erm:
Reply 91
hi guys
I was searching around google (for something else!) when I came across this

I don't know the particulars of this case, however, I've been a student at Kings since 2005- as a non-white student I'm pleased to say that I haven't experienced racism there at all. If the allegations are true, then its a localised case, which is sad for the individual, but shouldn't put other people off enjoying Kings
Reply 92
Of course everyone who criticise Virginia Jibowu is working for King's College London!

I spot a distinctive paranoid streak.

The minimum entry requirements then were quite low - ABB. Factor in the fact that GKT was the most applied to medical school in the UK, and still is. Add that most people had an AAA anyway plus an A or two in AS

That's not including the graduates who found the graduate entry too competitive so jumped into the five year course - they have first class BSc or MSc.

I'm afraid Virginia's ACC and a B in AS doesn't stand the competition.

Then you have the positively discriminatory EMDP course with CCC minimum. TaDa!
Reply 93
Too funny.

I dont fear racism. Everyone just needs to hit the blunt one time and see if it dont help none.
If any uni, I'd doubt King's would be the "racist" one.
Reply 95
I'm sure there are some clowns up at KCL, but nothing a few slaps wouldnt fix.
Reply 96
Original post by Annie120
Of course everyone who criticise Virginia Jibowu is working for King's College London!

The minimum entry requirements then were quite low - ABB. Factor in the fact that GKT was the most applied to medical school in the UK, and still is. Add that most people had an AAA anyway plus an A or two in AS

That's not including the graduates who found the graduate entry too competitive so jumped into the five year course - they have first class BSc or MSc.

Exactly. It's hard to say 'oh well because she got the correct amount of points for the MBBS she should have achieved a place on the course,' because so many other students will have achieved better grades. It's unbelievably competitive, and with ACC you're not going to stand much chance of getting in, especially at GKT.

I'm studying at Guy's myself. I'm not actually a med student, but I'm friends with a lot of black and asian ones, and they're all loving it so far. I know a few third/fourth/fifth years from the football team as well, and they think GKT is fantastic.

What I find odd is that the 'attacks', in her mind, are all linked up. If people have been discriminating against her at Guy's and KCH, then that means they've gone to the trouble to distribute some kind of 'let's be mean' message to all the GKT employees. It's like a conspiracy. Unfortunately it's rather hard to believe when no concentrated discrimination like this has happened to anyone else...
Reply 97
Original post by Annie120

lulz!

She had ACC and wanted to do medicine at King's???
Reply 98
Original post by DrFeelgood77

Okay wait, you are saying that:

having the required (minimum) UCAS points = must get offer

lmao

I just came from a thread where someone with A*A*A* was rejected from LSE. You want him to make a court paper, too?
Reply 99
Its ridiculous how some people on here are trying to suggest that racism is endemic at Kings College London because of one case where it is disputed entirely whether racism was involved or not.

To my knowledge Kings is a fantastic, world class institution which expresses fairness and tolerance in every sense, including race and student background.

This girl is ridiculous anyway - she is complaining that she was not admitted to the 5 year course with ACC. Back then the requirements were AAB and frankly to be given a chance to study at a world class institution with poor grades (in terms of medical admissions) does not meet me as discrimination.

It is interesting how her info says she has 11 GCSEs 1 AS and 3 A levels as if that was an indicator of academic excellence when they do not even bother to disclose the actual grades either - why would that be?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest