The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Cba to read all the replies.

Pros- Quite loving and patient. I'm not bloody dog lady or anything but sometimes dogs are so much better than humans at times.
Cute and cuddly (at least mine anyway)
Provide you with company, entertainment, and general laughs
It's proven to be good for your mental health

Cons- Expensive. It's like having a child who will never get older. You have to pay for vets bills, food, emergencies, dog sitters/kennels when you go on holiday, toys and other random supplies, grooming if you want them to look and smell nice.
Time Consuming- Depending on what type of dog you get you may have to walk them a couple of times a day, sometimes for hours. I got a small dog who needed minimal walking time but he still needs a walk at least every other day. Wet, cold, snow, wind. Whatever.
You have to pick up their droppings.
Spending time training them- They need to know things like sit, wait, down etc. They should come when you call them. You also have to TRY and train dogs not to steal food. Especially chocolate. They can't digest it and can get really sick.
They're not on NHS so their vet bills can be really expensive. When you have an emergency you have to be willing to pay the vet as well. You have to take a lot of care of dogs, if you want them to live well.

Choose your dog wisely. So research research research. Some are more expensive than others. Some may be harder work. Some may smell worse. etc

I don't regret it and I doubt you would either. Just make sure you're financially capable and have the time needed for them.
(edited 13 years ago)
If you get a husky, a big ******* one, it looks like you've tamed a small wolf and put it on a lead. Thus you look hardcore.
Reply 22
Troubled_Student
If you get a husky, a big ******* one, it looks like you've tamed a small wolf and put it on a lead. Thus you look hardcore.

lol -)

But unfortunately I don't think dogs are compatible with most modern lifestyles... I don't think it's fair to leave a dog in on it's own all day - our family dog ended up going a bit mental when my parents split and it was home alone all day, it used to chew raw patches in it's own skin out of boredom.

Cats otoh are obviously great about being left alone.
Reply 23
Pro: It's a dog.

Con: It ***** everywhere
Reply 24
mark.266
pros - they have a tight arse and big tongues

cons - people might stare
Why might people stare? :lolwut:
Surely it matters where you are in life? If you're at uni/about to go then dont get one - you wont be around it and your parents will end up looking after it - if you have your own place or whatever then get one, theyre cool :biggrin:
Reply 26
davidmarsh01
Get a cat.

she is my future wife... (your sig)

can't beat a little woof woof tho
I think only girls think there are no pros for dogs tbf...
Reply 28
Lady dogs have periods ewwww
Reply 29
T-Toe
Lady dogs have periods ewwww

Get yer beeatch nutered or you'll have gentleman dogs howling outside your house and trying to dig their way in through the door all night.
Reply 30
Joinedup
Get yer beeatch nutered or you'll have gentleman dogs howling outside your house and trying to dig their way in through the door all night.

But that's interfering with the natural processes of life :rolleyes: lol

I don't have a dog by the way :smile:
Panda Bear
All this. Another con is that they like to chase me for no reason.

oh yes i forgot that one! me too!
pros - force you to do exercise, fun to play with, good guard dogs (ish)

cons - cost, hassle of finding a dog sitter when you go on holiday, or just want to go out for the whole day
Reply 33
To be honest, my only con, as a dog lover, is that they do require vet bills... and dont speak english :/

But I love taking my dog out and training him.Sure I have to pick up his poo, but everyone has to clean the toilet someday?
Reply 34
you can take your dog on holiday with you now! most of the places let you take more than 1 and the dogs stay free! cheaper than kenels then...try it? we go alot to the caravans and we have been to a few places from this site...all good...some even do dog sitting and walking while your there! www.thepetsdirectory.co.uk
Reply 35
Con: It's not a cat. :h:
Original post by Angelus
Pro: It's not a cat. :h:

:smile:
Reply 37
Pros:

- They're so god damn loving and helped me get over so many horrible days.Days so horrible that I used to cry all the time ( not PMS just other personal issues) and my dog would actually come to comfort me,lick my face and place his head on my lap and lick my hand at the same time.They're so amazing to sleep with and hug.They stand up for you no matter what.If anyone tries to attack me or anyone in my family ( verbally as well) he stands up for all of us.

- They're very loyal and so loving :| I can go on and on about how amazing they are.

- They're your friend for life.Best friend infact :-) They'll be with you when you're happy and sad.And when you're happy and if your dog is aware of it,he/she will get really hyper and it can get so much fun! Can make you even more happier! :biggrin:

- Everyone in my family lost weight after we got our dog.Daily walks and playing with them really helps :smile:

Cons:

- Adopting a dog is almost like adopting a child.You really should be able to support them and provide them with the daily needs.Having worked at animal shelters I respect anyone who's up for adopting dogs since they're saving lives but you really need to be able to afford necessities like vaccinations,medical supplies and food.Never put a big dog in a tiny apartment.Smaller dogs are suitable for them though :-)

- It really takes a lot of time training them so you have to be really patient.I had a horrible time picking up poop but I got used to it and finally he got trained.It gets pretty okay after a while.

and one more thing...I've worked at Animal Shelters and after I've seen what they go through.I think one of the best things you can do is adopt and not buy your pets :smile: You're doing them a favor and the conditions they live in are so horrible.

I honestly think getting a dog or any pet will be a great decision.It will a week or less to adapt to them but once they become a part of your life,living without them can get pretty hard and sad.
Reply 38
Is there really no upsides? If you have a crossbreed surely vet bills cant be that bad??
There are a lot of different pros and cons of keeping an dog or any animal. You need to figure out if the pros outweigh the cons first because it is truly a lot of responsibility. I'l start with the cons first for owning a dog. They require a lot of attention especially puppies its almost like having a real baby yourself. They get into everything they love to bite stuff around your house especially while they are in there teething process (puppies)!! Another con would be pooping and peeing in your house this requires a lot of training to ensure them that this will not be tolerated. Next con would be maintenance meaning there grooming and vet visits. Depending on the type of dog you get some dogs need to be groomed more often then others. Also vet visits can be very expensive depending how much treatment or shots your dog needs compared to regular vet visits. (regular dog grooming isn't cheap either!!) Another con would be having a dog means you need to have money. What I mean by that is dogs are NOT cheap by any means they will do damage on your wallet. Especially when your first getting a dog like I mentioned before its like having a baby. You need to prepare for the animal you need to get a dog cage, toys, food,treats,collars,leashes, puppy pads exc. Next you would also think about if you have time to walk your dog once or twice dailey. Every dog needs exercise depending on the breed some need to be walked or exercise more then others. Alright enough of the cons now lets to get to the pros of owning a dog. From experience having a dog is just like having a new best friend. There love for they have for there owners is unconditionally they rely on us a lot. They are also extremely loyal as well every day when I walk through the door my dog wags his tail and greets me while I walk in. Also another big pro is they are alot of fun! There a great walking partner they always keep you on your toes. My last pro would be there great company especially if you live by yourself you will feel less lonely. I hope this helps your decision making process if you have any other concerns please feel free to reply back!