The Student Room Group

Why can British men only approach women when they're hammered or via the internet?

Scroll to see replies

People here have mentioned things along the lines of 'the nice girls are taken'.........but how do you think they get taken? To ask the original question then, do people think 'the nice girls who are taken' got with their boyfriends when hammered or via the internet? / When these 'nice girls' break up with their boyfriends, how do they get asked out and why in that manner?
Reply 41
I've never approached a girl in a club/pub even when drunk because I know I'm not attractive looking. The 2 gfs I've had both approached me, the first went to an all girls schools and I was the only guy she knew, and the second was just as bad looking as me but I was desperate. So for me it isn't the fear of rejection (ie 100% certainty for me so no point trying) its simply that it would have to be a much more gradual approach of getting to know someone and seeing if I can tell if they like me back at all.
Beadle's About
I love how you are trying to prove/justify yourself to me. I'm sure you are SOMEONE'S type, just not mine.

At which point did I say I was looking to be your type? You did not answer the initial question so I ask it again? I told you I do not know you mate, I do not know wt you look like or what you do so why would I be interested in being your type? Proves my point, delusional.
I'm sorry but I'm only interested in guys who are good looking and intelligent so stop kidding yourself.

Beadle's About

I beg to differ....I don't date or **** unstable or insecure women.

I'm sure that's what you'd like to convince yourself since you are delusional anyway.

Beadle's About

Babygirl110 is hating on Beadle's About, boy and girls! How does writing a post about my observations of the British men and how they approach women make me have 'narcissistic' or 'delusional' tenancies?

As pointed out earlier and I will reiterate; you are delusional in 1. thinking that I'm looking to be your type 2. Claiming to be an expert on women and pointing out 'flaws' in the way men do things, also including stupid racial stereotypes.

Beadle's About

I think you should comment on the original topic of the post....the fact that you didn't do this and instead chose to attack ME speaks volumes about your character.

I commented that you are a jerk based on the post that you made because I thought it was coming from an idiot. I didn't comment on the topic itself because I think it's stupid. You obviously took offence to me calling you a jerk and you decided to respond by harping on about 'i'm not your type marlarky'- a dysfunctional defence mechanism for the insecure.

I'm still not clear at which point I asked to be your type.
Reply 43
jb9191
a very simplistic and discriminative view.

Not every black person likes hip hop or is related to it. I know chilled out black people who prefer Reggae, Jazz, RnB and Soul music.

Dont tar all people with the same brush.

Also, in the UK there seems to be a lot of white teenagers who are more mentally problematic than black teenagers. Some of them are more into hip hop and rap than the black people I know.

I edited my post a lot and added greatly to it.. check it out.

As for discriminative... its based on my own experiences of living in London. Of course they don't all listen to hip-hop.. it was just an example of how media can and does affect that one group differently.

Try to see the logical components of my argument rather than pick at political correctness and throwing the racism card please...
Not all British men are like this.
The problem is women are very cruel when it comes to attraction, if they dont instantly fancy you if you were nice to them they would think you were weird and/or a freak no matter how nice you were or how you actually looked.

Coupled with the fact the woman often thinks you want to get in her knickers.

A few weeks back on another thread was talking about how I dont like clubbing as when I sit down and turn around I notice people staring at me as if I am creepy even if I am not looking at them or just turning my head as I am bored or looking for a friend who is meant to be arriving to be told that I probably was creepy because a simple look or glance freaks a lot of women out etc.

Basically you cant win so if you approach a girl and want to initiate a converation you would get thought of as weird, if you dont you are thought of as almost as weird.
Reply 46
fox_the_fix
Because British women are ugly? Ergo men are more prone to pick them up when they're drunk (beer eyes) and well, any guy who picks girls up online is not going to have the highest of standards...

though I don't consider british women uguly, your reasoning makes perfect sense :rofl: :rofl:
Reply 47
There are many reasons why this appears to be the case.

WMM = white middleclass men

1) A lot of the time WMMs will date people from work hence why unless you work with these people you will not observe them chatting up their colleagues.
2) WMMs in nightclubs aren't that bothered about pulling since when they have their big jobs and flashy cars they will pull whenever they like (maybe their hot secretary).
3) WMMs from England look down upon so-called 'greasy' forward men in countries such as Italy. They are taught to be more reserved. Except when they are drunk.
4) It is culturally assumed in England that the order of things is: A) Get Drunk B) Pull.
5) WMMs are not that attracted to WMFs until they've had a few beers.
6) In English culture it is sometimes considered inappropriate to chat up girls on the street or while they are working.
7) WMMs don't need to be good a chatting up WMFs because they are relatively easy. Whereas for example Italian men need to be very forward because Italian women are so difficult to please.
8) The chav-boys you talk about are probably chatting up chav-girls.
9) From watching soap operas the WMMs are afraid they will get a slap if they are too forward to a girl or arrested for harrassment.
10) It just so happens that for hundreds of years the places where boys meet girls, such as nightclubs or festivals or celebrations also have alcohol.

In conclusion I would say that yes, in downmarket nightclubs the WWM are not good at chatting up women unless they are drunk. But I expect when they are in their natural habitat such as at work or skiing in the south of france they may not need to drink so much.

That is my thought for the day. Probably it is bullcrap.
Reply 48
OOh though of another one. This one could be controversial.
11) Chavs and black people tend to be less choosy. As long as its blonde and its got bit tits it'll do.

Hehe. :smile:

(Edit: Not all black people just the ones who wear baseball caps and like hiphop. So only 95% of them.)

I know its just sour grapes cos I want all the blonde booby girls for me. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
Hi

What gets me is how in our equal society, is it still expected for men to do everything when it comes to dating?
Reply 50
Jacktri
Guys will only approach girls who show interest you make eye contact you smile they don't even notice because the girls are too busy looking in the other direction or looking at the floor.

Agree 1000000000000000000000000000% :smile:
Reply 51
Beadle's About
It is my observation of British society that men generally don't approach women unless they are drunk. This a sorry state of affairs. Men in this generation have become such wimps, brainwashed by the media and society to become pussys who are scared to talk to women.

I literally NEVER see any guy approaching girls in non-bar/daytime situations. The only time I see men attempting to approach girls is when they're really drunk, or through the internet.

Men have become man-ginas. What has happened?

Girls, what do you think of how wimpy men are today?

ADDITIONAL NOTE: I've noticed that that the guys who do well with women are either black, or chavs, or generally people who don't care what other people think about them (aren't self-conscious). Usually most well-mannered middle-class men struggle with women because they're too 'nice'.

rejections a bitter pill to swallow. british women arnt very receptive to men chatting them up. i remember a comedian (russle peters) talking about it once. i dont think ive ever seen a chav try and chat up and pull a random girl from the street. they usually know them from somewhere or if not theyre in a sceneario like on the same course, job center placement, school or college.

young british-asian men try it alot but only from inside their very flash and expensive cars, however im yet to see any sucsess come from this.

chinese men dont.

eastern europeans. especially kosovans, albanians and turks regularly "try it" with women to no success or if any only seem to get with other eastern women from muslim nations.

as for black men ive only really heard of black men with british or american accents having any success and its mainly with white girls looking for their own RnB/Gangster Rapper fantasy boyfriend. black men straight from africa or the caribbean tend to only have success with their own 1st/2nd generation peers.

ive never seen a mediterranean chat up a british girl but im sure it goes on.

but if Bruno Tonioli and Ricky Martin or Peter Andre are anything to go by im sure they must do quite well. but then again im sure Cristiano Ronaldo types get rejected along with all the other masses of men out there.

but thats just part of british culture. its always been like that. i think the only time brits were ever abit suave was during the English Restoration period of Charles II and even then it was only the wealthy aristocratic rakes. other wise id have to say britain much like the rest of central and north eastern europe as well as the middle east has always used rules, social etiquette and traditional practice as a way of meeting people.

but things have changed. we dont havea culture of aristocratic rakes, victorian tea parties, balls or social events. nor do we have the ridgid rules and etiquette to lean on.

not to mention the massive change in womens role in society.

its pretty easy to pull a loose looking chavvy ladette girl.
but i assume you go for the more Top Shop/H&M/New Look/Zara types.
these girls are consumers. they want the best and throw away the "not quite perfects"
the type of girls who have a black berry. if YOUR not in fashion mate you probably shouldnt bother. n im pretty sure deep down alot of guys including your self know that subconscious or not
(edited 13 years ago)
Lets be honest when people say male chavs are successful with girls, they are successful with female chavs, it's a section of society where people of both sexes are rather easy. Ignorance may be bliss when it comes to having the false confidence to go up and approach a random female but a chav male but it's not going to get him anywhere with a decent woman.

I don't get this obsession with "street approaches", the only place I've ever heard of it is on the internet. I can't imagine girls being well disposed to having a random guy just wandering up to them and starting to chat them up while they are walking down the street or shopping.

If you have a healthy social life and mix with people a lot then it's easy to meet girls through friends and in a setting when you have the time to talk to them and suss out who you are interested in and who you aren't.

Wandering up to girls randomly in the street and starting hitting on them isn't a sign of being a classy and in demand male IMO, it looks more like a guy who is desperate for a girlfriend and wanting to play the numbers game by trying it on with as many as possible.
MagicNMedicine

I don't get this obsession with "street approaches", the only place I've ever heard of it is on the internet.

That's because 99.99999% of guys in the UK are too pussy to approach women in the street or any other daytime scenario while sober. Of course you've never seen it, because it happens so rarely in the UK. Only a rare breed of guys such as myself can pull off street approaches successfully.

MagicNMedicine
I can't imagine girls being well disposed to having a random guy just wandering up to them and starting to chat them up while they are walking down the street or shopping.

IF you are a classy, confident, guy then yes you absolutely CAN pull off a street approach and have girls love it, have them feeling flattered and literally stunned because it happens so rarely to them, especially by a decent guy instead of weirdos.

MagicNMedicine
If you have a healthy social life and mix with people a lot then it's easy to meet girls through friends and in a setting when you have the time to talk to them and suss out who you are interested in and who you aren't.

This is how most people tend to meet their partners. But relying on a social circle or meeting 'through friends' is a very limited choice; you are limited to whoever happens to be in your social circle which is not a very big choice at all. Also, if you come onto someone in your social circle and things get awkward/you get rejected etc, then all your social circle are going to know about it and you will have to see that person again.

But, with street approaches you are not limited in this way. Your choice of women is the whole world, not just the limits of your social circle. I'd rather have the pick of the whole pool of women and not just a social circle. Plus, if you get rejected in the street etc you just move onto another girl, so there is never any embarrassment.

Plus, street approaches take balls, and really increase your confidence. You can't say that about meeting through a social circle.

MagicNMedicine
Wandering up to girls randomly in the street and starting hitting on them isn't a sign of being a classy and in demand male IMO, it looks more like a guy who is desperate for a girlfriend and wanting to play the numbers game by trying it on with as many as possible.

As I said, if done correctly you can convey all the right things to a woman you meet in the street, withing the first few seconds. MOST men who ATTEMPT to do street approaches are either creepy, strange, weird, and simply clueless about how to approach women properly. IF you are one of the few guys such as myself who knows what he's doing, you will automatically stand out, and because you stand out you will be successful.

I do street approaches all the time and have met the majority of my lovers/girlfriends etc during the day from cold approaches.

The bottom line: it's only social programming that leads us to believe that street approaches are somehow 'not acceptable'. Who cares what 'the norm' is anyway? I certainly don't care what the 'accepted norm' is - I approach anyway. In fact, the very fact that so few men approach girls in the street makes it easy picking for guys such as myself. There's ZERO competition, and you are like that gold in amongst the rough when you do approach.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
About 80% of the men population is like that ,not only British.
Good for the rest of us tbh :woo:
Kiwiiiii
About 80% of the men population is like that ,not only British.
Good for the rest of us tbh :woo:

Imagine how chaotic the world would be if all men were alpha males, if all men were good with women. It'd be crazy.
(edited 13 years ago)
Beadle's About
It is my observation of British society that men generally don't approach women unless they are drunk. This a sorry state of affairs. Men in this generation have become such wimps, brainwashed by the media and society to become pussys who are scared to talk to women.

I literally NEVER see any guy approaching girls in non-bar/daytime situations. The only time I see men attempting to approach girls is when they're really drunk, or through the internet.

Men have become man-ginas. What has happened?

Girls, what do you think of how wimpy men are today?

ADDITIONAL NOTE: I've noticed that that the guys who do well with women are either black, or chavs, or generally people who don't care what other people think about them (aren't self-conscious). Usually most well-mannered middle-class men struggle with women because they're too 'nice'.

Sick trolling, although you may want to move onto another account because everyone knows what to expect.

Seriously, if you were getting girls as much as you said then it wouldn't be all you spoke about.. you'd go about your business and then keep it quiet. You definitely wouldn't brag about it on an internet forum.
There have been plenty of threads on this. Let's look at it from the other point of view. In this country, walking up to a random girl is seen as weird BY GIRLS TOO.
After a couple of drinks, not only is a man more confident, but a girl is more likely be open to the approach of a stranger.
In a country, America for example, the guys may be more confident to go up to a random girl, but only because the girls are on the whole more receptive to it, so there is nothing to worry about.
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree...
I'd get done for assault.
Yawn11
Yeah you guys are wasting your time on these bitches, hasn't Barnie Stinsen taught you anything?? And he's gay irl!

For example, no joke, this girl messages me yday and said: if I got a hotel around your area would you stay over with me?

Me: Hah you wanna do me that badly eh? Lol jk, yeah I don't see why not :wink:

Her: haha As much as I wanna 'do you', I don't believe in sex on the first time.

Me: Lool fair enough :wink:

Needless to stay she's currently blocked and won't be getting any text message replies for next week.

Can you believe this bitch has been talking dirty to me for the last few weeks?? what a waste of my life.

You just missed out on free meals a free hotel night free transport, im sure you could of squeezed out a few free drinks and a link to her friends so you can get even more girls massaging your ego. oh well life goes on.

Quick Reply

Latest