The Student Room Group

Most friendliest universities list

I go to a university which is part of Universty of London.
And most people there are not out going or up for a good drink up.
I kind of knew universities in London are like this, but did not know it was going to be this bad.

I tryed to talk to many people but notice, most people knowing or unknowing to themselfs make friends and hang out with people from their own race, even if they don't have much in common.

People are stereotyped and put it to race pigeon holes.
I hear lot of people morning about oriantals not mixing, but I find their are not that bad as the white folks.
The oriantals are very shy, but will talk back and not be all snobish, (well the guys)

I find the white folks only hang around with other whites, and not make any effect to try mix in with people from other race even if they are British born.
But these same white people will complain, when other races do not fall over themselfs to talk to them.

When I went up north, people were more outgoing, nice, up for a good drink, and the atmosphere was much better.

I hate going to university in London, and I plan change to a good university outside London.

So, folks, can you list 5 of the most, friendliest university with people who are outgoing and love a good drink, work hard and play hard:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Based on personal experience both Glasgow and Cardiff are very friendly universities, and I've heard nothing but good things about Manchester.
(edited 13 years ago)
leeds (where i am! very much so)
liverpool
cardiff
bristol! (i did however get very drunk there and fall over on my way out of my friends house... i only managed water the rest of the night!)

not a clue for a 5th...
I go to Liverpool Hope, and it's really friendly. Because it's so small, you get to know the faces of most of the people who go, and people say hi to you randomly in the corridors lol :biggrin:
Cardiff :love:
Reply 5
The three Liverpool Unis are quite friendly
Reply 6
Hull, they make a point of it in their prospectus and the like. It's true though.
Reply 7
You at LSE by any chance?:p:
1.Bangor
2.Liverpool
3.Durham
4.Leeds
5.Manchester

Physics2011
I go to a university which is part of Universty of London.
And most people there are not out going or up for a good drink up.
I kind of knew universities in London are like this, but did not know it was going to be this bad.

I tryed to talk to many people but notice, most people knowing or unknowing to themselfs make friends and hang out with people from their own race, even if they don't have much in common.

People are stereotyped and put it to race pigeon holes.
I hear lot of people morning about oriantals not mixing, but I find their are not that bad as the white folks.
The oriantals are very shy, but will talk back and not be all snobish, (well the guys)

I find the white folks only hang around with other whites, and not make any effect to try mix in with people from other race even if they are British born.
But these same white people will complain, when other races do not fall over themselfs to talk to them.

When I went up north, people were more outgoing, nice, up for a good drink, and the atmosphere was much better.

I hate going to university in London, and I plan change to a good university outside London.

So, folks, can you list 5 of the most, friendliest university with people who are outgoing and love a good drink, work hard and play hard:biggrin:

OP I'm sure everyone at your uni isn't racist. I went to a UoL uni and you're right it is different to a small campus uni up north with there might only be a small percentage of international students.

You will unfortunately always get a few people like you described, who only hang around with people of the same race. But the other 90% of people won't be like that. Don't worry. And don't try and use this race thing as an excuse/get-out for something else.
Reply 9
I go to a UoL college but it's a little different as it's outside London in a small campus. I've found most, if not everyone here to be very friendly, but at all universities you'll get some lovely people and some not so lovely people. It's all part of the experience, I think.
Reply 10
I go to UoL and everyones lovely :smile: to be fair if I think about it most of my friends are white but then most people in my hall are white - at least the people who come out and chat/drink. People are always up for going out or just drinking in halls. I think it may be where you live rather then the uni itself, because birmingham last year I found very unfriendly but the flats were too closed off and only 2 people in mine every spoke to me =/. But im sure a lot of people found birmingham a great, friendly place.

Asian people on my course have come up and talked to me, it's not cliquey at all, unlike birmingham where I did notice what your talking about.
Reply 11
Gemma :)!
I go to Liverpool Hope, and it's really friendly. Because it's so small, you get to know the faces of most of the people who go, and people say hi to you randomly in the corridors lol :biggrin:

People have a blank look on their face in London.
Reply 12
halfoflessthan50p
1.Bangor
2.Liverpool
3.Durham
4.Leeds
5.Manchester

OP I'm sure everyone at your uni isn't racist. I went to a UoL uni and you're right it is different to a small campus uni up north with there might only be a small percentage of international students.

You will unfortunately always get a few people like you described, who only hang around with people of the same race. But the other 90% of people won't be like that. Don't worry. And don't try and use this race thing as an excuse/get-out for something else.

I am not useing the race issue as an excuse, It is a fact that it exist! but most people pretend it does not exist or make excuses for it.
I am not saying they are racist, but white folks tend to stick to white folks, just from colour, because they assume they have things in commo.
(edited 13 years ago)
All of the Liverpool Universities. :smile:
Physics2011

So, folks, can you list 5 of the most, friendliest university with people who are outgoing and love a good drink, work hard and play hard

You'll all think I'm joking but Cambridge :biggrin:
You do have the odd recluse or hermit but for the most part people really do seem to live by work hard then play hard. :biggrin: It is also SO incredibly friendly, everybody I've met has been really nice so far!
(edited 13 years ago)
I can second Cambridge. When I visited there I was technically working so I didn't really get the experience of visiting as a student, but everyone I met there was REALLY lovely.

Otherwise, I can definitely vouch for the Cardiff friendliness. Apart from one girl who was super rude to me... but there's always one, ennit.
Reply 16
I also go to a London University... One of the top ones in fact, famous for getting students into business, finance/IB etc (no it's not LSE :biggrin:) but even here I've found it difficult to interact, partly because I didn't get a place in halls and partly because many of the students commute so there isn't like a "central meeting point"

Luckily though I've made good friends with a few on my course (I swear, it's like 60% of the Econ class is international so hardly any of them "talk" to us") and a few people at halls who I've been crashing with.

Just stick it at OP, there'll be loads of people out there like you, you've just gotta find them. Uni's only gone on for around a month so you've got plenty of time to make friends!
Southampton is a very friendly Uni. :yes:
I've only ever been to Loughborough, so it gets my vote.
Reply 19
rapidshare
I also go to a London University... One of the top ones in fact, famous for getting students into business, finance/IB etc (no it's not LSE :biggrin:) but even here I've found it difficult to interact, partly because I didn't get a place in halls and partly because many of the students commute so there isn't like a "central meeting point"

Luckily though I've made good friends with a few on my course (I swear, it's like 60% of the Econ class is international so hardly any of them "talk" to us") and a few people at halls who I've been crashing with.

Just stick it at OP, there'll be loads of people out there like you, you've just gotta find them. Uni's only gone on for around a month so you've got plenty of time to make friends!

I will cut my losses and move:smile:

Sticking with it is like flogging a dead horse.
Yes they must be people like me around, but to find them, I would have to go up to so many people randomly and speak to them, then get a rep for being a friend begger:s-smilie:

Quick Reply