The Student Room Group

Basic standard integral

Basically we have been given a sheet with all the standard integrals we should know.

I don't however understand this one:

Integral f'(g(x))g'(x)dx = f(g(x)) + c

Would someone using latex just give an example using a simple equation as then I should see it much clearer!

Thanks
Original post by TimothyTankT
Basically we have been given a sheet with all the standard integrals we should know.

Would someone using latex just give an example using a simple equation as then I should see it much clearer!

Thanks

Use a substitution of u=g(x)u=g(x) and it should drop out. That integrand is in the form of the derivative of a composite function.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TimothyTankT

Thanks

It is the rule for the integration of compodite functions and the base of this notation
is the definition of undetermined integral namely
f(x) dx=F(x)+c\displaystyle\int f(x)\ dx=F(x)+c so that
[F(x)+C]=f(x)[F(x)+C]'=f(x)
from this
f(x) dx=f(x)+c\displaystyle \int f'(x)\ dx=f(x)+c
If function f in composite, for example f(g(x)), then from the chain rule
[f(g(x))]=f(g(x)g(x)[f(g(x))]'=f'(g(x)\cdot g'(x) where f' is derivative of outer function
substituting g(x) in x multiplied by the derivative of inner function, g'(x).
So integrating this
f(g(x))g(x) dx=f(g(x))+C\int f'(g(x)) \cdot g'(x)\ dx=f(g(x))+C
Generally
h[u(x)]u(x) dx=H[u(x)]+C\displaystyle\int h[u(x)]\cdot u'(x)\ dx=H[u(x)]+C where H is the primitive function of h.
For example:
tanx dx=(sinx)1cosx dx=lncosx+C\displaystyle\int -tanx\ dx=\int (-sinx)\frac{1}{cosx}\ dx=ln|cosx|+C
because the primitive function of 1/x is ln|x| and the derivative of cosx is -sinx.
F.e 2.
1xlnx dx=1x1lnx dx=lnlnx+C\displaystyle\int \frac{1}{xlnx}\ dx=\int \frac{1}{x}\cdot\frac{1}{lnx}\ dx=ln|lnx|+C
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle\int \frac{x}{1+x^4}\ dx=\frac{1}{2}\int 2x\frac{1}{1+(x^2)^2}\dx=\frac{1}{2}arctan(x^2)+C

(edited 13 years ago)
Try differentiating f(g(x)). Use a substitution u = g(x).

Latest