The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm surprised no one said bookkeeping.
Reply 41
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Chemistry is also important in understanding the atomic structure of the paper and the chemical compositions that make the glue that binds the pages to the spine.

should've known a civil engineering degree alone isn't enough these days.....

*sigh*

*sigh*
Reply 42
This is why our country is screwed. No librarian needs a masters-degree to do her job.
Reply 43
well my mum is a librarian and they want a degree in Librarianism/ Library Management/ Library Sciences, to get into the top jobs apparently :smile: xx and ignore all the sarcastic replies! :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by W.H.T
Civil engineering I hear. You need to be able to understand the various forces and stresses acting on book racks and shelfs.

:rofl:
An MA in bookkeeping?

(I forget exactly what it's called. :smile:)
Original post by sweetness345
I'm thinking about this and I want to know what kind of degree I need.

Thank you.

I think your safest bet is English. Maybe throw some Law and some Maths to scare your employers. :rolleyes:
Reply 47
Original post by Bunkd
This is why our country is screwed. No librarian needs a masters-degree to do her job.

Again, do you actually know what a librarian (who can be a man or a woman) does. It's not someone who shelves books and stamps them.

Why does an engineer need a degree if all they're going to do is fixing peoples boilers or doing household plumbing? Just lilke the public get technicians/plumbers/electricians mixed up with the professional role of a "proper" engineer. You are getting library assistant confused with librarian.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by River85
Again, do you actually know what a librarian (who can be a man or a woman) does. It's not someone who shelves books and stamps them.

Why does an engineer need a degree if all they're going to do is fixing peoples boilers or doing household plumbing? Just lilke the public get technicians/plumbers/electricians mixed up with the professional role of a "proper" engineer. You are getting library assistant confused with librarian.

I'm been giving you quite alot of rep, today, son. :cool:
Reply 49
Original post by sweetness345
I'm thinking about this and I want to know what kind of degree I need.

Thank you.

Do you want to be a librarian or an assistant?

Probably no degree, wouldn't go for a degree if you can help it as they do cost. And working in a library will not help you much to repay your loans from university.
Reply 50
Original post by Absinth
Wow, these replies are harsh. I believe you need to have a Masters in most cases...

Your sig just got me in the mood for Xmas. OP, you ideally need a 2.1 in English or History from Oxbridge to have any chance of working in a library.
Original post by lyrical_lie
I heard history was useful and yes nowaday you need a degree, my aunty is a librarian but because of all the cuts they had to let go of loads of people and basically it was impossible for her to get another library job because everyone has to have degrees now...

Criminal minds is the best!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the topic it sounds interesting actually and to all those who made fun of the op I guess you are feeling pretty stupid now. All the smartasses thinking only their degrees are useful and so so necessary.
Reply 52
Original post by River85

No, my point was that just as a plumber should not need 3/4 years of 'rigorous' academic study to fix a boiler, nor should a librarian need a 3/4 year degree in order to perfect the DDS..
Reply 53
Original post by Bunkd
No, my point was that just as a plumber should not need 3/4 years of 'rigorous' academic study to fix a boiler, nor should a librarian need a 3/4 year degree in order to perfect the DDS..

Well, no, but then that's not what librarians do (I'm assuming DDS is Dewey Decimal System?) you seem to have a very simplified idea of what a librarian does or you're confusing them with library assistants.

It's not comparable to what a plumber (a skilled albeit manual job) does.

If this country is in a mess I think there are plenty of other areas where blame can be placed. Not higher level professionals, who usually go on to earn good middle incomes, needing professionally accredited degrees.
Reply 54
Original post by M1F2R3
Your sig just got me in the mood for Xmas. OP, you ideally need a 2.1 in English or History from Oxbridge to have any chance of working in a library.

:biggrin:

And your sig got me in the mood for... well, throwing up on my hands.
Reply 55
Original post by Absinth
:biggrin:

And your sig got me in the mood for... well, throwing up on my hands.

still...:sexface:
Original post by La Môme

I'm guessing many of the people in this thread look down at librarians, who are so important when you're a hapless student on campus. Sucks to be you.

At my university, librarians are likened to Hitler, in the student magazine. I wanted to throw up when I read it, I can't believe how ungrateful and arrogant some people can be. :mad:
Reply 57
Book Keeping baby!
Original post by Hooj
Book Keeping baby!

Best reply in this thread....!
Original post by Pedrobear

You dont need a degree to work in a library though it'd give you a better chance of getting the job. Two of my friends work in a library. One finished school after a levels and the other didnt even do a levels.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending