The Student Room Group

Projects for 9 year olds?

Hey,

I am doing some volunteering at my old primary school, currently working with Year 4. I'd like to do some sort of project with about 6 kids every week on a Wednesday afternoon.

I just need some ideas, I can't see to find anything that's not too difficult for them, bear in mind they are 9.

Be it science or DT, just something that everyone can do within say 1 1/2 hours.

Thanks,

Note: Sorry if it's the wrong forum, didn't see where else it could fit.
Reply 1
Assuming you have the equipment - Baking, sewing, design/build something? Simple science experiments? (think back to primary school stuff) Maybe let them produce and put on a (very) short play or something? Sports or games are always fun if the weather is nice.
Reply 2
Original post by Verthandi
Assuming you have the equipment - Baking, sewing, design/build something? Simple science experiments? (think back to primary school stuff) Maybe let them produce and put on a (very) short play or something? Sports or games are always fun if the weather is nice.

I'll be able to get the resources.

I was hoping it would also be slightly educational and not sports, I don't mind building stuff, that's always fun.

A science project would be good where they have something to show for, I just don't know what.

Even something related to Christmas would be fine.

Thanks.
Make a big poster collage thing? Every kid can have a bit of paper to decorate. Have a theme maybe.
Reply 4
In that case - how about getting them to make Xmas cards for family members?
Science experiements could be as simple as making a 'volcano' or magnetising needles! Static energy experiements are fun (make balloons stick to people, or their hair stand on end).

I'm sure the teachers there would be able to come up with loads more ideas, too :smile:
Original post by chinaberry
Make a big poster collage thing? Every kid can have a bit of paper to decorate. Have a theme maybe.

This is a good idea! Maybe make a huge collage of everything they've learned so far this year, and each of them gets a subject to make a poster of?
Reply 6
Original post by chinaberry

Maybe, I'll keep that in mind.

Original post by Verthandi
In that case - how about getting them to make Xmas cards for family members?
Science experiements could be as simple as making a 'volcano' or magnetising needles! Static energy experiements are fun (make balloons stick to people, or their hair stand on end).

I'm sure the teachers there would be able to come up with loads more ideas, too :smile:

They've already made Xmas cards, going to be sent to a professional company who will reproduce them.

I like the volcano idea, the needles idea would be more of an experiment than a project.
You could build a pyramid which could be decorated afterward with hieroglyphics (sp) or whatever. Could teach them about Ancient Egypt as they are doing it.
Reply 8
Not sure if these ideas have been done or are too complicated for a year 9, but you could teach them the basics of DNA with pipe cleaners, (double helix):

http://www.ehow.com/how_5325926_make-pipe-cleaners-pony-beads.html

Or you could make an experiment where you have 3 groups, 2 kids in each group, and each plants a seed in a plantpot, and puts the plant in different areas of the class, e.g one without light (in a cupboard), one with too much heat (ontop of a radiator), and one with good sunlight and good heat. (on the windowsil).

Maybe ask other teachers what they are being taught in the future, and base the activites around them, so when they come to doing to lesson in the future, they remember the activity and already know the basics of the lesson. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by AdamOAO
Not sure if these ideas have been done or are too complicated for a year 9, but you could teach them the basics of DNA with pipe cleaners, (double helix):

http://www.ehow.com/how_5325926_make-pipe-cleaners-pony-beads.html

Or you could make an experiment where you have 3 groups, 2 kids in each group, and each plants a seed in a plantpot, and puts the plant in different areas of the class, e.g one without light (in a cupboard), one with too much heat (ontop of a radiator), and one with good sunlight and good heat. (on the windowsil).

Maybe ask other teachers what they are being taught in the future, and base the activites around them, so when they come to doing to lesson in the future, they remember the activity and already know the basics of the lesson. :smile:

DNA will be out their reach, I learnt that at IGCSE :redface:

I like the plants idea, but the issue with that is that it would not be something all the kids could participate in. Unless it meant in the end having 9 plants and waiting for their cycle to return before they saw it, it's not practical. There are 18 kids and I don't want to do 3 plants every week for 3 weeks.

I like the idea of seeing what the teacher is going to do in the future and then working around it. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Does anyone else have any ideas?
Original post by Gemma :)!
This is a good idea! Maybe make a huge collage of everything they've learned so far this year, and each of them gets a subject to make a poster of?

I hate you based your posts.

You're a total idiot.

:troll:
Reply 12
Original post by ILM16
Does anyone else have any ideas?

create a vegetable patch, circle time, heads down thumbs up, bake some biscuits, get a local farmer to bring a cow into school, paper aeroplane competition, football, volcano, make xmas tree decorations, practice xmas play.
Reply 13
Original post by Lozza_00
create a vegetable patch, circle time, heads down thumbs up, bake some biscuits, get a local farmer to bring a cow into school, paper aeroplane competition, football, volcano, make xmas tree decorations, practice xmas play.

Some of them are quite good, it's not about playing games like head downs thumbs up :biggrin:
Reply 14
make playdough christmas tree decorations! you like.. make the playdough with salt and whatever it is.. and put food colouring in it, and make it glittery.. and let them roll it out and cut it into shapes, then you cut a hole each one and bake them and put ribbon through the hole and tada!
Reply 15
plant beans
Reply 16
Original post by juliewho
make playdough christmas tree decorations! you like.. make the playdough with salt and whatever it is.. and put food colouring in it, and make it glittery.. and let them roll it out and cut it into shapes, then you cut a hole each one and bake them and put ribbon through the hole and tada!

Oh my! You have found the perfect project! I can't thank you enough!!! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by ILM16
Oh my! You have found the perfect project! I can't thank you enough!!! :smile:

I did this every single year from nursery onwards and it never lost the novelty, i still have them all, it's interesting how they got better over the years.. nine year olds should made some pretty decent ones and when its dried, you can varnish them with glue or use thick block markers to decorate more if they want to ;D
Original post by I AM AWESOME!
I hate you based your posts.

You're a total idiot.

:troll:

But there's nothing wrong with that suggestion, lots of people have made similar suggestions and you're not moaning on/negging them, so why me?

I'm not a total idiot, I'm just a normal person like anyone else on here, and don't understand why some people have to be so horrible.
make a model solar system?

Latest