The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by manniefresh91
Can anyone please tell me more about the different departments? Grocery and Chilled Products are pretty self-explanatory.. but Customer Services? There's an awful lot of vacancies at a store for Customer Services...

Customer Services will include Checkouts, Porters, Petrol Kiosks, Cigarette and Lottery Kiosk, Checkout Runners (those who have to put stuff back and collect replacements if you picked up the wrong item/it was broken) and I think it might also include the Aces.

Theres also Home & Leisure which covers toys, festive, books, stationary, kitchen, dining, diy & motoring and Music Video and Games.

Bakery is self explanitory as is Counters.
Reply 81
i attended my asda magic interview last week and got a call back 2 days later asking me to come back for a one on one interview. I went for my one on one interview on tuesday and I felt it went really well. I was told I would be sent an email within 24 hours telling me if i had got the job but that I would also get an email even if I was unsuccessful. That was 2 days ago now and I have recieved no email. Was just wondering if anyone else had this problem? and what you think I should do about it? thanks for any help
Original post by the writer
i work 4 topshop, any qustions ask me 2

Whats it like working at Asda?

Original post by ewanoh
i attended my asda magic interview last week and got a call back 2 days later asking me to come back for a one on one interview. I went for my one on one interview on tuesday and I felt it went really well. I was told I would be sent an email within 24 hours telling me if i had got the job but that I would also get an email even if I was unsuccessful. That was 2 days ago now and I have recieved no email. Was just wondering if anyone else had this problem? and what you think I should do about it? thanks for any help

If they really wanted you, they would of made contact with you, no contact is usually bad.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by m00balot
Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!

Hey, i've been invited to a group interview at ASDA, what can I expect?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 84
Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!

I've got a question; Why? :happy2:
Reply 85
Will they take me on at 16?... as a saturday "part-time" job? what do i need to be able to work in there
Reply 86
Original post by rick_james
Whats it like working at Asda?

If they really wanted you, they would of made contact with you, no contact is usually bad.

Not usually... they usually let those who aren't succesful know sooner than the ones they want to see again. They wait till they can get the dates for 1 on 1's and such sorted before contacting them
Reply 87
Original post by -beads-
Hey, i've been invited to a group interview at ASDA, what can I expect?

Group interviews usually consist of some paperwork, introducing yourself and team building exercise (In my interview they made us make a house out of straws and marshmellows, the tasks vary depending on who's doing the interviews, but expect something similar.)

The key to these interviews is to just show that your confident, good working and talking with others, and can interact with people in a warm and friendly manner. There is no real need to go over the top and make others look bad as this will just make you look bad in turn. Just be yourself and be confident, you should be fine, and don't worry if you don't do well on the task, it doesn't really matter if you do it, it's just so they can see how you are with people :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Karlc1995
Will they take me on at 16?... as a saturday "part-time" job? what do i need to be able to work in there

ASDA is one of the only supermarkets that WON'T employ you on checkouts if your 18 or under, this is due to licensing laws that make it impossible for those under 18 to serve alcohol. In other supermarkets a supervisor must clear any alcohol sales, to save bother to cusotmers, ASDA won't let you on a till unless your old enough to sell alcohol.

However if your under the age of 18 you can be employed on any other department :smile:
Reply 89
Group interviews usually consist of some paperwork, introducing yourself and team building exercise (In my interview they made us make a house out of straws and marshmellows, the tasks vary depending on who's doing the interviews, but expect something similar.)

The key to these interviews is to just show that your confident, good working and talking with others, and can interact with people in a warm and friendly manner. There is no real need to go over the top and make others look bad as this will just make you look bad in turn. Just be yourself and be confident, you should be fine, and don't worry if you don't do well on the task, it doesn't really matter if you do it, it's just so they can see how you are with people :smile:

What shall I wear? Formal?
Reply 90
Original post by -beads-

What shall I wear? Formal?

No no, formal casual will do, no need for a suit or anything like that. Dress like your going for a nice night out :smile:
Reply 91
No no, formal casual will do, no need for a suit or anything like that. Dress like your going for a nice night out :smile:

I meant as in, trousers and a jumper? :tongue:
Reply 92
Original post by -beads-
I meant as in, trousers and a jumper? :tongue:

That'd be just fine :smile:
Got my induction tomorrow, anyone know what happens? also what are the chances of being kept on a permanent contract?
Reply 94
Got my induction tomorrow, anyone know what happens? also what are the chances of being kept on a permanent contract?

Do you have a part time or seasonal contract? For what department?

Inductions you do a bunch of training and work, easy stuff.
Do you have a part time or seasonal contract? For what department?

Inductions you do a bunch of training and work, easy stuff.

Seasonal?
Reply 96
Seasonal?

When you're seasonal you can pick up shifts whenever they are available and whenever you are able to work :smile:

Work lot's of shifts and prove yourself to your managers and they MAY offer you a part time contract, no promises though.

No ASDA staff (except managers) are full time.
When you're seasonal you can pick up shifts whenever they are available and whenever you are able to work :smile:

Work lot's of shifts and prove yourself to your managers and they MAY offer you a part time contract, no promises though.

No ASDA staff (except managers) are full time.

Sweet, I will do my best to impress, also I'm down as a checkout operator, would it be possible to be trained as a sales assistant(stocking shelves and what not) so I could do that as well? Or am I limited to being on the checkouts?
Sweet, I will do my best to impress, also I'm down as a checkout operator, would it be possible to be trained as a sales assistant(stocking shelves and what not) so I could do that as well? Or am I limited to being on the checkouts?

Not my thread but i've worked at asda for 2.5 years so am qualified to explain...

Basically, everyone gets training at a shelf stacker during training,

Till training is just like half hour of the till machines trying to learn what all the buttons are...

And when you're working at the store there will normally be overtime on different departments so you can just do that and work on any department.

As long as you're 18 to do tills then you'll be able to do pretty much any other job.

Most of the work at asda is the same, it's just replen(shelf stacking) or rumbling(Getting rid of cardboard and pulling everything forward to pack it look neat)...
Reply 99
Original post by MHorman
Not my thread but i've worked at asda for 2.5 years so am qualified to explain...

Basically, everyone gets training at a shelf stacker during training,

Till training is just like half hour of the till machines trying to learn what all the buttons are...

And when you're working at the store there will normally be overtime on different departments so you can just do that and work on any department.

As long as you're 18 to do tills then you'll be able to do pretty much any other job.

Most of the work at asda is the same, it's just replen(shelf stacking) or rumbling(Getting rid of cardboard and pulling everything forward to pack it look neat)...

Hey,

I have a group interview which I pretty much know nothing about at 3pm.

What can I expect in the interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending