The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

What image do you have of Newcastle University ?

Just want to see what everyone else thinks, looks good to me!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by acquiesce
Just want to see what everyone else thinks ! I'm blinded by my enthisiasm for it...

Russell Group university, has a med school, quite 'rah' now apparently. Quite good all round. Prestigious enough.

Decent place but it'll always be the second best university in the North East :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Good, well respected university, but isn't it a bit cold up north?
Reply 3
Original post by ilickbatteries
Russell Group university, has a med school, quite 'rah' now apparently. Quite good all round. Prestigious enough.

Decent place but it'll always be the second best university in the North East :tongue:

Out of interest, what IS the 'second best' one then?
Original post by Medicz
Out of interest, what IS the 'second best' one then?

Eh?

Have I made a grammatical error in my post? I was saying that Newcastle University is the second best in the North East.

Durham, Newcastle, Northumbria, Teeside, Sunderland.

In that order. My own opinion, of course.
Original post by miss_world
Good, well respected university, but isn't it a bit cold up north?

A bit. Fortunately us Northerners are well adapted to the cold weather.
Newcastle looks so fit. The area looks so much different from what I'm used to, and the dental school is apparently quite good!

However, I'm not really a fan of the geordie accent, and since its near scotland im presuming its a refrigerator up there
Reply 7
Honestly, most of the UK is pretty much identical in terms of weather. I haven't noticed any difference since moving from York to London.

Newcastle's campus isn't too pretty (apart from one building), but it's a proper campus and amazingly well located. I'm applying for medicine there, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I love the Geordie accent and the town.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by blacklight
Honestly, most of the UK is pretty much identical in terms of weather. I haven't noticed any difference since moving from York to London.

Newcastle's campus isn't too pretty (apart from one building), but it's a proper campus and amazingly well located. I'm applying for medicine there, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I love the Geordie accent and the town.

I hope you like cheesy chips and kebab meat.
Reply 9
Original post by ilickbatteries
I hope you like cheesy chips and kebab meat.

Nothing better.
Nothing better.

'Geordie Delight' pizza. Cheese and kebab meat. Guaranteed heart attack in a box.
I'm a Newcastle native, and I have to say the Uni here really is amazing. The facilities up here are really good, with the Centre for Life and so on, and the nightlife is second to none, but the architecture and buildings here are beautiful too. Come here! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by BackDoorEntry
Newcastle looks so fit. The area looks so much different from what I'm used to, and the dental school is apparently quite good!

However, I'm not really a fan of the geordie accent, and since its near scotland im presuming its a refrigerator up there

Erm....Scotland isn't the arctic! But people spend most of their time in centrally heated buildings anyway.

And you probably won't hear the Geordie accent too much at Newcastle as a student. More like cut glass accents (rather posh).

To be honest, the difference in temperature between the north east and south east is a handful of degrees at most. If you're out in the open countryside of Northumberland you'll feel a difference, especially if there's a bit of wind, but not in the middle of a city centre.

When it's 32 degrees in London you'll probably be glad it's only 29 degrees in Newcastle :p: I know the previous two summers, when I've been in London, I've looked enviously at the temperatures of Newcastle. Wanting it to be in the high 20s and not low 30s.

Yes, it's colder on average, but hardly freezing in comparison. In fact, in the past two winters the south east, particularly central London and the home counties, have seen more snow than compartive areas in the north east.

I know. As I keep saying, the UK has more of an east/west than north/south split. West being warmer but wetter than the east. It's not like Australia, Russia or a number of other large countries which have about five different climate systems :p: It's all about the same. Relatively mild temperatures (give the northerly location of the UK) and just about the right amount of rain.

The original quad of Newcastle is one of the finest pieces of university architecture in the country, in my opinion. This can be explained by it being old (slightly before or very early Victorian). But since its independence in the 1960s it's obviously seen a huge expansion into a large multi-faculty university meaning many of its buildings are 1960s and 1970s - looking rather incongruous so next to the quad.

But the city is one of our most attractive with some fine Neo-Classical architecture. So that makes up for it.
Original post by acquiesce
Just want to see what everyone else thinks ! I'm blinded by my enthisiasm for it...

The biggest 'rah' university in the country.

Read both pages of THIS ARTICLE.

I've also got a friend who went their last year and left for this year as she couldn't cope with the amount of "stupid ****ing rahs" there.
Reply 14
Cheryl Cole :sexface:
Reply 15
Original post by mackemforever

I've also got a friend who went their last year and left for this year as she couldn't cope with the amount of "stupid ****ing rahs" there.

I wouldn't say it's -that- bad. However, yeah...it is evident that there are a lot of 'rahs' around Newcastle University. Mostly because the mix of Newcastle's bustling nightlife and the prestige of the university.

I've lived in South Shields all my life, study at Sunderland and now I live in Heaton. I would have thought with a username like 'mackemforever' you would ahve hated Newcastle? Ha :smile: 5-1.

:awesome:
Its a great uni, top class teaching, excellent facilities.
Nightlife is amazing, there's something for everyone.
The town is great, geordies are really friendly, even the huge guys I have met in the gym.

Some of the buildings on campus are a bit 60's but there are quite a few beautiful red brick ones.

The union building is currently having an £8m redevelopment, and will be ready in time for freshers week next year, which is pretty exciting.

Awesome links with industry, etc etc.

There are quite a few rahs here, but fortunately they have to use the old leper squints, so that you don't need to come in contact with them :P Most of the people on your course will be regular types (unless you take a **** ass course)

Yep... I did my research before coming here.
Reply 17
There is an awful lot of rahs, but 9/10 of those ive met are decent people. Nice, pretty small campus meaning everything is easy to get too. The Union was a really nice place too, good venue for gigs and good bars, should be even better when it re-opens next year.

Also, I was pretty pleased that the union shop subsidises The Times, Telegraph, Guardian and Independent, so they're only 40p.
Reply 18
The uni is brilliant, the city even more so. I would love to go to Newcastle Uni if only I didn't live in Newcastle. Not keen on staying home for the first year.
Reply 19
Original post by mackemforever

very interesting read, but i don't think it's going to be a case of "pick a side!"... atleast not if you've got any social skills

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending