The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by OhNuts
Short interview with department manager who will ask a few of those "can you tell me about a time when...." questions. Then sorting out what hours you are to do etc.

Doesn't sound that bad then. Thanks mate.
Reply 201
I've got my induction on saturday and tuesday, 11-5, a long day for an induction.
I've been given horrible weekend hours, but ohwell, it's money. Also what would I be expecting to be doing working on music and video? :smile:
Thanks, Joey.
Original post by Joeymaxx
Also what would I be expecting to be doing working on music and video? :smile:
Thanks, Joey.

Music and Video when i used to do it was tagging DVDs/CDs and putting them out on the shopfloor. You may also have to sort out deliveries and/or returns but if it's a large store and you're only working weekend i wouldn't worry. You may also have to stand at a music/video counter if you're over 18 and basically work the till there selling consoles etc if it's a large store...

Also, guessing as you have weekend hours that you're working sunday nights? That's chart change, you get the fun of moving every single DVD/CD slightly around. Tbh, chart change isn't too bad if all the DVDs/CDs get tagged up either when they get delivered or before the change. First time i did it it took me 6 hours but i eventually got it down to just over 2 hours.

That may help...
Reply 203
Original post by Joeymaxx
I've got my induction on saturday and tuesday, 11-5, a long day for an induction.
I've been given horrible weekend hours, but ohwell, it's money. Also what would I be expecting to be doing working on music and video? :smile:
Thanks, Joey.

you call that a long day :p: ? My induction thingy was 9-6 saturday, 9-6 sunday, then 5-10 on monday :tongue: im thinking about the money too

my hours are so awful that i might have to leave. when i agreed to them i didn't have my diary and i said is it ok if i can change these later on, and he said yea that's fine, but found out today i'm not allowed unless i can find someone to take them...so he's given me 35 hrs a week when i have 2 other jobs and uni. hmmm
Original post by conway!
you call that a long day :p: ? My induction thingy was 9-6 saturday, 9-6 sunday, then 5-10 on monday :tongue: im thinking about the money too

You call THAT a long day?

My record is 8am-10pm. 14 hour shift with 13 hours paid with 2 seperate 30 min breaks. It was a killer.

Part of a 74 hour week....(That's 74 hours paid so it was like 78 worked)

In a month where i averaged a 62.5 hour week(That's 9 hours a day average and again, that was paid so i probably averaged around 65 including breaks)

Oh to be 16 again.....:biggrin:
Reply 205
Original post by MHorman

My record is 8am-10pm. 14 hour shift with 13 hours paid with 2 seperate 30 min breaks. It was a killer.

In a month where i averaged a 62.5 hour week(That's 9 hours a day average and again, that was paid so i probably averaged around 65 including breaks)

oh jeezz... my record overall is 10 - 8, thought that was bad :p: but in that one i got a 20 minute break where i was sort of 'on call' in case it got busy again. glad i left that place :smile:

edit: sounds like i'm trying to story-beat you... you definitely win at awful working days ... :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Finally! Asda replied to my application, but...
that was literally in my dreams.
Reply 207
Original post by manniefresh91
Finally! Asda replied to my application, but...
that was literally in my dreams.

Just give the store a call, at the worst they say no, either way its a sign of you actually wanting the job :smile:
Don't do this!!

Announce to the entire store that Tesco is Cheaper. Just DO NOT do it!

^ That is hilarious. But I feel sorry for the customer service person :tongue:

I'm supposed to work from 2pm-10pm but I threw up in my break at like 8pm and went home...bad day...
Reply 210
if i was going to quit, who would i speak to?

it's just they've given me 35 hours when i wanted 12, i've not been given any days off for what will be 15 days in total, (and when i do get a day off it's because it's christmas) and i'm behind with uni work and would rather concentrate on that...

it's just quite anonymous at my store, i don't actually speak to people and have no idea who my manager would be or anything.

if it helps i'm checkouts.
Original post by conway!
if i was going to quit, who would i speak to?

it's just they've given me 35 hours when i wanted 12, i've not been given any days off for what will be 15 days in total, (and when i do get a day off it's because it's christmas) and i'm behind with uni work and would rather concentrate on that...

it's just quite anonymous at my store, i don't actually speak to people and have no idea who my manager would be or anything.

if it helps i'm checkouts.

Grab a manager and talk to them, even if they're not "your manager" they'll know who is...

I'd say try and reduce your hours first though instead of just quitting. A job is a useful thing in the long run...
Reply 212
Original post by MHorman
Grab a manager and talk to them, even if they're not "your manager" they'll know who is...

I'd say try and reduce your hours first though instead of just quitting. A job is a useful thing in the long run...

i tried to reduce my hours, they said I have to swap with someone and couldn't just drop them so I'd end up with the same number of hours anyway. And they've given me hours up to New Year which is the time i was hoping to catch up :p:

plus, i already have a job, so my CV won't have to have a blank which is good :smile:
Original post by MHorman

My record is 8am-12:30am, that was one tiring shift :smile:
Original post by rick_james
My record is 8am-12:30am, that was one tiring shift :smile:

A 16.5 hour shift at ASDA...:O I am impressed. Beats my longest asda shift...

Technically my longest shift of work is 36 hours when i worked as a tyre mechanic for a motorbike endurance race team, although i did get random 10 minute power naps during the night but i only took like 2 because during pitstops i had to change tyres which involved carrying 2 wheels with tyres on the entire length of a pit lane at le mans, twice...

In ASDA news, tomorrow i have my first shift in like 3 months and i can't be bothered, it's a 12-8 so it's not too bad. A nice "small" 8 hours..
Original post by MHorman
A 16.5 hour shift at ASDA...:O I am impressed. Beats my longest asda shift...

Technically my longest shift of work is 36 hours when i worked as a tyre mechanic for a motorbike endurance race team, although i did get random 10 minute power naps during the night but i only took like 2 because during pitstops i had to change tyres which involved carrying 2 wheels with tyres on the entire length of a pit lane at le mans, twice...

In ASDA news, tomorrow i have my first shift in like 3 months and i can't be bothered, it's a 12-8 so it's not too bad. A nice "small" 8 hours..

Haha wow, a 36 hour shift, not one for the faint hearted.

I have been hammered for hours over christmas, being seasonal I did expect it though. Also how easy is it to pick up shifts over un seasonal periods at asda? I have been told if I just go in and put my name in the overtime book then thats it.
Original post by rick_james
Haha wow, a 36 hour shift, not one for the faint hearted.

I have been hammered for hours over christmas, being seasonal I did expect it though. Also how easy is it to pick up shifts over un seasonal periods at asda? I have been told if I just go in and put my name in the overtime book then thats it.

:biggrin: Coffee/Red bull/lots of loud motorbikes/adrenaline etc etc makes it easy. Oh, and i slept for the 16 hour drive back from Le mans in france via london and bristol back to devon...

Yea, it's easy, i used to just ask my manager whenever i wanted more hours and would get them. If i had half term or something i could cram 50 hours into it easily.

Not doing it now i'm at uni though...
Reply 217
I work at ASDA!! I work as a portor..... A trolley boy... Funny because i'm sure we're seen as a sub race of human in there everytime in the canteen you can see portors sitting on there own, its like we have are own zones of inhibition. I do 13 hours a week 2 shifts ones 8 hours.......

Recently though i got put on as a indoor portor for the 8 hour shift. i'm the only one in the store, which bascially is a basket boy, and i have to do the security tags and rubbish bins throughout the 8 hours. I can't work out if i've been promoted or demoted.

To be quite honest i'd rather just be a outdoor portor, it's such a sit off, and the people i work with out there are a good mix (some are werid) but theres are afew that are just characters. Once i went outside of ASDA and went to the woodland right next to the store for 2 hours. Came back and no one noticed i was gone, got no one pestering you like supervisers, best postion in the store =)
Reply 218
Hi all, just started working at Asda as a temp at weekends.

Whats everyones experience of their attitude to shift times?

Had a look at the rota yesterday and they had me in 3 more hours on the Sat than what I was told I would be doing. They had me down to 4 but as I didn't look at the rota on Sat I had finished at 1 as thats what my contract said. They had me in for the next few weeks all at this same time.

Section leader was off by time I checked rota so phoned manager today. Now I wonder if I've shot myself in the foot by telling her I won't do those 3 hours extra. Am hoping for extra shifts over Xmas / New Year so maybe that will redeem me? Just worried as when I phoned her she said a few times it was due to being Xmas and needing all the help they can get (but that isn't what my contract said, nor was I ever asked by anyone to do more hours).

Also a slightly different note, how do you get your payslip from Asda? Do they post it to you or do you collect it in store somewhere?
Original post by DoktaUH
Just give the store a call, at the worst they say no, either way its a sign of you actually wanting the job :smile:

Cheers man, I'll try that out. Thanks Doktah for your responses in this thread btw, really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending