The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

you'll need a weeks stable and a weeks farm anyway, i'm not sure what to suggest about getting large animal vets except that keep trying, and maybe stay somewhere, where abouts do you live?
I live in the midlands around Coventry way.
hmm nowhere near northampton then really?
hmm its annoying train and bus fares are so expensive! Coventry-->birmingham is 30quid not return in rush hour!
Reply 1064
Original post by Robpattinsonxxx
hmm its annoying train and bus fares are so expensive! Coventry-->birmingham is 30quid not return in rush hour!

Β£30?! are you sure?
i've gotten a return tickets to cov from brum for about Β£6 in the past :/
30 seems ridiculous.
it does seem ridiculous tbh i don't think the national rail prices on the internet are right, i might be wrong. But even where I live to leicester is about Β£10 return which im not sure about ether because its only like 20mins away :/
Reply 1066
Anyone know anywhere good in Kent? I'm in Canterbury area :smile:
Ok now i'm totally out of options for large animal vets. I have tried absolutely everywhere around my area but a lot of regetions are due to insurance :frown:

Any advice anyone?

I did a week at a mixed practice vet - they do the SA plus they have a farm side. Do you think it is worth asking if i could go there and get a weeks worth of work experience on the farmers side of it? Would this count as large animal vet work?

Thanks
Reply 1068
Just booked a week at an equine vets for December 2011. Talk about booking in advance lol
^ Omg your so lucky :frown:
Original post by Kay17
Just booked a week at an equine vets for December 2011. Talk about booking in advance lol

i've got a week at an equine practice booked for 2012! :tongue:
Original post by sp28
I live on a farm so obviously have tonnes of farm experience. Would universities take this into account?

No, the work experience can't be on your own farm.
Reply 1072
Anyone know of a LA vet in Kent?? Also after a dairy farm and pig farm.
Reply 1073
what would be the best places to get work experience
around west bromwich and Birmingham?
Reply 1074
This is what I have so far:
1 week mixed vet
3 weeks calving
12 weeks lambing
1 year general sheep work
1 week care farm
This is what I am planning to do:
6 weeks lambing
1 week calving
1 week egg farm
1 week kennels
1 week abattoir
As much vet experience as possible
and that's about it really. Do I need a wider range of experience, or will this be ok?
Reply 1075
I personally would get some equine
yep you need 1 or 2 week stables, 4 weeks in two different vets at least. small animal and large animal vets.
Reply 1077
Original post by sp28
This is what I have so far:
1 week mixed vet
3 weeks calving
12 weeks lambing
1 year general sheep work
1 week care farm
This is what I am planning to do:
6 weeks lambing
1 week calving
1 week egg farm
1 week kennels
1 week abattoir
As much vet experience as possible
and that's about it really. Do I need a wider range of experience, or will this be ok?

I would definately recommend getting experience in a small animal vets and at a stables. Also, are you sure you want to spend a week in an abattoir, a day is enough.
Reply 1078
Original post by AdamKr
I would definately recommend getting experience in a small animal vets and at a stables. Also, are you sure you want to spend a week in an abattoir, a day is enough.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will only go for a day :smile:
Reply 1079
Original post by Kay17
Anyone know of a LA vet in Kent?? Also after a dairy farm and pig farm.

Anyone? Having real trouble with this

Quick Reply

Latest