The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Waterstorm
Yeah, I'm doing a non-accredited course, at UCL, I'm only in my first year though. Our course (and other non-accredited courses) are really open for us to do anything within biology/chemistry - we can pick and choose our modules (from second year onwards), obviously with some limitations. But what I'm saying is it's not that we have to learn specific things like you would from the IBMS. And I don't think we can become biomedical scientists with this course, because we don't do any work on testing samples or anything of the such. It's much more aimed at doing research after the degree. That's why I thought accredited courses were limited - cause you have to learn those set skills which puts you in placed to become a scientist.

I wanna try for medicine (I failed first time around), otherwise I'd like to do some managment thing in a hospital is possible. Hows the applying for jobs going anyway? Is it really hard?

Well it's hard for me as I'm doing it backwards lol I did Nutrition first (don't ask, I don't know what I was thinking either), then realised I was insane when choosing that but finished anyway. Got a Nutrition degree and decided I wanted to do Biomed. I saw on the IBMS website about getting whatever degree you have accredited by doing a few extra modules (I just had to do 3 extra). So I did that... but obviously just did the course work, not the placements :frown: Which means I have absolutely no experience now (except for 2 voluntary months I got in September) so I'm struggling... I'm hoping it'll help but I'm going to CV/cover letter/interview preparation classes next week :redface: I'm feeling so hopeless, I have all the requirements for most jobs I apply for but I'm getting absolutely nowhere. I'm not good at pushing myself forward so hopefully this will get me somewhere!

I'm going to apply for those Clinical Scientist posts on the next recruitment stage, probably in the next few months. I don't expect to get a look in but I would so love that job!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Sprockette
Well it's hard for me as I'm doing it backwards lol I did Nutrition first (don't ask, I don't know what I was thinking either), then realised I was insane when choosing that but finished anyway. Got a Nutrition degree and decided I wanted to do Biomed. I saw on the IBMS website about getting whatever degree you have accredited by doing a few extra modules (I just had to do 3 extra). So I did that... but obviously just did the course work, not the placements :frown: Which means I have absolutely no experience now (except for 2 voluntary months I got in September) so I'm struggling... I'm hoping it'll help but I'm going to CV/cover letter/interview preparation classes next week :redface: I'm feeling so hopeless, I have all the requirements for most jobs I apply for but I'm getting absolutely nowhere. I'm not good at pushing myself forward so hopefully this will get me somewhere!

I'm going to apply for those Clinical Scientist posts on the next recruitment stage, probably in the next few months. I don't expect to get a look in but I would so love that job!

It sounds awesome, best of luck with it all!
It sounds awesome, best of luck with it all!

Thanks, you too!

(Oh, and from experience (or lack thereof) - try desperately to get experience early during the summer or whatever!!!!)
Hi, just found this thread now :smile: I am 2nd year biomed student. There should be a biomed revision thread as well where we can share ideas about revision and ask any questions specifically related to this course. I am thinking of starting to revise for my exams now, only january now but theres so much to go through !! and for revision purposes, is it a good idea to look and go through each of the learning outcomes or the indicative syllabus content ? (given in module handbooks)

p.s Oh and I want to join the society too please :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I want to say welcome to all the new members here to the society!!

What unis have we all applied to and what are your plans for after your degree: Postgrad,Gap Yah!,Lab Work,Research.Teaching,Business or Management or Graduate Entry Medicine
I am pleased y Group Leaders and ave been appointed Deputy Group Leaders and can assist in the running of the group.
[QUOTE="robinson999;29122012"]:howdy:/QUOTE]

:howdy:

Wallinza

Sprockette

Why not let us know a little bit MORE about youreselves. Let us know:

1. Name
2. Uni
3. Course
4.Plans for the future after your degree
5. A level Grades

Thanks people.
Reply 46
Original post by Gamewizard
Hi, just found this thread now :smile: I am 2nd year biomed student. There should be a biomed revision thread as well where we can share ideas about revision and ask any questions specifically related to this course. I am thinking of starting to revise for my exams now, only january now but theres so much to go through !! and for revision purposes, is it a good idea to look and go through each of the learning outcomes or the indicative syllabus content ? (given in module handbooks)

p.s Oh and I want to join the society too please :smile:

Sounds like a good idea. If you make the thread I'll be willing to join. :smile:
1. Name Catherine

2. Uni Glasgow Caledonian

3. Course Nutrition/Life Science, then Biomedical top-up (1 year, 3 modules)

4.Plans for the future after your degree Well, the plan was to get a trainee job after getting IBMS registered, but that plan has basically been scuppered now... So I'm applying for the occasional trainee Biomedical scientist job in the NHS and other than that, MLA or Biomedical support workers jobs in the NHS to get experience and because I'm getting desperate. I'm also looking at research and industry jobs but they usually ask for experience. Some don't though. I have to improve my CV before applying for many more as I don't think it's great, I've never even been called for an interview and I have applied for a depressing amount of jobs that I am well qualified for.

In an ideal world I would like to get into a trainee biomedical job and become HPC registered, work my way up and maybe do a masters later, become senior or lab head/manager. Another option might be applying for a trainee clinical scientist position, I'd love that! Without trying to put myself down too much though, there is a lot of competition for those jobs and I'm only a good average at best. I'm not sure if I want to get into research or industry permanently as I have the idea that they only seem to offer temporary/fixed term contracts and a mortgage will be hard enough to get without telling my bank that I have a job that will last 2-3 years and then I'll have to apply for another one.

5. A level Grades Chem - B, Biology - B, Maths - C, French - C, English - C
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Susanoo
Sounds like a good idea. If you make the thread I'll be willing to join. :smile:

Come and join :wink:

See you there.
Name: Rosh
Uni: Westminister
Course: BSC Biomedical Science
Plans: Want to be a biomedical scientist hopefully working in haematology :smile: or similar
A Levels: film studies D, sociology D, biology C haha poor grades i know
Hey there,
Im a second year biomedical science student and I would like to join this society please :biggrin:

1. Name: Jack

2. Uni: University of Wales Institute Cardiff

3. Course: BSc (Hons) Applied Biomedical Sciences

4.Plans for the future after your degree: I'm doing a year out next year to get my certificate of competence from the IBMS - then back to UWIC for my 3rd year, when I graduate in 2013 I will be fully qualified to walk into a job with the NHS hopefully!! That's really my short term goal. eventually I'd like to do a PhD and go into research - but that will come after experience/money!

5. A level Grades : lol. Bio - D, Chem - D, Phys - C. Luckily I talked my way into a university - I did average a First last year though - so don't go thinking im a goof haha, when I was doing my A-levels all I cared about was partying and music so I didn't really focus on the future :/
Name: Arun

Uni: UCL

Course: Biomedical Sciences

Plans for the future after your degree: Um, I'll probably try for medicine if I get the grades. Otherwise I'd like to apply for a managment role in the NHS :smile:

A level Grades: A (maths), A (chemistry), B (biology), and a B in AS (psychology).
Name: Luke

Uni: Brunel

Course: Biomedical science (human health)

Plans for the future after your degree: After stuggling with the first term, anything in a hospital is out of the question, to be truthful I might actually switch to sports therapy or physiotherapy in september. I did really want to do this degree and if I didnt find it like I was fighting to keep my head above water, I'd love it. I would like to do something in terms of nutrition/ dietetics or the human body like bones, possibly sporting injuries :s-smilie:

A level grades: N/A ... did a BTEC National Diploma, got Distinction, Distinction, Distinction
I would like to join the society :smile:!!

1) Durham uni
2) course- Biomedical sciences
3) Plans for the future- get a 1st or 2.1. Then an Msc and pHD (would love it to be an intergrated 4 year or whatever in biochem or genetics). Possibly after phD do patent law or bioethic/biobanking law if research sucks as much as I think it may...
4) A levels A biology A Geography B chemistry and d AS maths

Reading the previous posts, I am 100% sure that a biomed accred degree gives oppertunity in the NHS aswell as research/teaching just as a non accred degree will. If your not interested in NHS work then just pick which degree you think may have modules that interests you most, as thats the only difference.
Original post by Sprockette

Im looking ahead like years and years tbh but what are the clinical scientist jobs like? I have heard of them and looked them up but still very vague on what the job entails. Im wondering if it is respected, intense and challenging with good pay?? Good luck with your application also! hope it all works out.
Reply 55
Can I join the society please?

Uni: Durham Uni (1st yr)
Course: Biomedical science
Plans: Try not to have a nervous breakdown before the summer.
A-Levels: I'm a mature student so I did a foundation year (also at Durham)
Reply 56
Question for all those studying first year BMS and have exams next week
How are you finding revising - theres so much and I can't find the concentration to get through more then a couple of pages a time ( which usually takes 15 minutes as I read through 3 times and try to recite as much as can from memory etc)

Any tips if any people have some ?
Many thanks
and good luck
Original post by Susanoo

Gamewizard
RE: Revision Thread

Done. I have just made a Revision Thread now and I have an Ideas thread to make up an idea for stuff we can do RE: The group and how to further its popularity. Biomed is a big subject with a lot of people doing it here. I think we should make a petition thread to get our own sub-forum much like we do for Medicine.
Reply 58
Original post by House of Jonny
Done. I have just made a Revision Thread now and I have an Ideas thread to make up an idea for stuff we can do RE: The group and how to further its popularity. Biomed is a big subject with a lot of people doing it here. I think we should make a petition thread to get our own sub-forum much like we do for Medicine.

:confused: Its already been made.
Original post by Susanoo
:confused: Its already been made.

oh yeah it has. My mind is all over place :tongue:

Latest