The Student Room Group

TSR Iraqi Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by >Anna<
Go on your own/drag your brother?

Need someone to motivate me at first. I will have to go tomorrow instead, ah well!
Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Kurdish is quite a strange language. There are several dialects. The Latin script is used in Turkey (since the Turks use Latin letters as well). Iran and Iraq use the Persian-Arabic script. But since there is several dialects, it can be difficult for an Iranian Kurd to communicate with a Turkish Kurd and vice-versa in Kurdish due to the varied dialects.

I agree with Dirac that Persian is not that a difficult language to learn (especially if you are well grounded in Arabic or even another European language).

I really liked Kurdish - such a beautiful language. Turkish is just strange though, kinda Arabic (but not) in latin script. I forgot that there are Kurds all over the place (even in Syria, apparently :rolleyes: - seems everyone there is Palestinian or Kurdish, or anything except bloody Syrian!) so of course it makes sense that Turkish kurds might write in latin script... Suffice to say my only exposure to Kurdish was in Iraqi-Kurdistan.

I really hope that Farsi is easier than Arabic - I want to pick it up because it's a useful language to know, but also rather cynically, as I'd like to pick up a few easy marks next year!

Original post by Whatever9999
Well that wouldnt make any difference ,,,, they destroyed our country and it will take at least 20 years to fix the disaster !!!
Thanks to their beautiful troops i remember when they hit our car while my mum was driving and the reason was cuz we came a bit too close which is 100 meter :confused:

That'll teach you to drive too close to military convoys then, won't it? :rolleyes:

(except that didn't really happen, did it. Really?)
Original post by FiveFiveSix
Turkish is just strange though, kinda Arabic (but not) in latin script.

No it isn't. It's an Altaic ----> Turkic language, which isn't related to the Indo-European and Semitic languages. It's used different alphabets to express itself on 'paper', as it were. Modern Turkish uses the Latin alphabet.

The 'original' language, as it were, does not cover every "object" obviously such as a bus, a station, a book, hence it borrows lots of French and Arabic words.

Thank you.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
No it isn't. It's an Altaic ----> Turkic language, which isn't related to the Indo-European and Semitic languages. It's used different alphabets to express itself on 'paper', as it were. Modern Turkish uses the Latin alphabet.

The 'original' language, as it were, does not cover every "object" obviously such as a bus, a station, a book, hence it borrows lots of French and Arabic words.

Thank you.

Hence the 'kinda'.

Thank you.
Original post by FiveFiveSix
Hence the 'kinda'.

Modern Turkish would be related to Azeri, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, and other Turkich languages. Turkic languages are related to Mongolic languages, and in turn, both are part of the Altaic language family.

Arabic falls under the Semitic language family. This group also includes Hebrew.

Spoiler

FiveFiveSix
Thank you.

Thank you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Modern Turkish would be related to Azeri, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, and other Turkich languages. Turkic languages are related to Mongolic languages, and in turn, both are part of the Altaic language family.

Arabic falls under the Semitic language family. This group also includes Hebrew.

Spoiler

Thank you.

Please, clarify away. I'm no student of linguistics, just a bloke wot studies Arabic.

I'm aware Arabic is semetic, and Turkish isn't, but that's about as far as I really need to go down that road.

Thank you.
Original post by EssexDan86
I always wondered...

I heard Lionel Ritchie is absolutely MASSIVE in Iraq.

Is this actually true?! :confused:

Cheers

Dude... how have no idea how massive :ninja:

"I'm huge, huge in the Arab world. The answer as to why is, I don't have the slightest idea."
Reply 247
My mom is a huge fan of 70s disco music :lol: Gloria Gaynor, The Bee Gees, ABBA; she loves m all
Original post by Retrospect
Ani ashawfak shlon il ifyooz iy6og bil 3akil... where's my na3al?!

Spoiler

Wlich basee6a, 2la ajeeblich na3al asli abu il-lastic, o koolili ween ilyooj3ich. :colone:
Original post by win2kpro
Wlich basee6a, 2la ajeeblich na3al asli abu il-lastic, o koolili ween ilyooj3ich. :colone:

Ouch !!! na3al abu il lastic hurts soo badlyyyy !!!!!!
Reply 250
Yes of course :tongue:
yes it did ,it was aimed at my mum's face but unfortunately the windows didnt break and nothing happened then he put up his middle finger and started laughing as if it was a joke :mad:
God ,and i remember once we were driving and there was a huge traffic jam so a big american truck wanted to go through and it couldnt ,so they started shouting and saying if u cant get through we will drive on ur cars cuz we can't wait for more than 5 min and the horrible part was we couldnt run out of the car cuz they will just shoot us to death and then my little sister and i started crying we thought we were gonna die ,,imagine if u were stuck in a car and u can see a big army troop is coming towards u and u will actually get squashed to death :frown::frown:
so my dad just wanted to get us out so what he did was he put his head up and said "we are not gonna die", and then he drove the fastest he can and thanks god we made it and got out.I remember seeing the cars behind us being squashed some people just got out of their cars and were killed :frown:
btw this is just a day in baghdad,iraq

:smile:
Original post by maljebo
:smile:

lek maljubjub stop being mean to the poor girl. Wallah kha6iya. People shouldn't have to suffer this kind of humiliation in their own country.

Walad sarsaree w'Allah...

Na3al asli abu il-lastic :rofl: that's legendary.

Yes of course :tongue:
yes it did ,it was aimed at my mum's face but thankfully the windows didnt break and nothing happened then he put up his middle finger and started laughing as if it was a joke :mad:
God ,and i remember once we were driving and there was a huge traffic jam so a big american truck wanted to go through and it couldnt ,so they started shouting and saying if u cant get through we will drive on ur cars cuz we can't wait for more than 5 min and the horrible part was we couldnt run out of the car cuz they will just shoot us to death and then my little sister and i started crying we thought we were gonna die ,,imagine if u were stuck in a car and u can see a big army troop is coming towards u and u will actually get squashed to death :frown::frown:
so my dad just wanted to get us out so what he did was he put his head up and said "we are not gonna die", and then he drove the fastest he can and thanks god we made it and got out.I remember seeing the cars behind us being squashed some people just got out of their cars and were killed :frown:
btw this is just a day in baghdad,iraq

You poor thing. :frown: Where are you living now?
Reply 253
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
lek maljubjub stop being mean to the poor girl. Wallah kha6iya. People shouldn't have to suffer this kind of humiliation in their own country.

ya3ni she said RIP after saddam(LA)
Original post by maljebo

OMG u neeed help !!!!!!!!!!! at least he was muslim and yeah allah yr7maaa ,,,i'm sure u r another wasted 3ajmiiii and saddam kicked ur parent out of iraqqqq !!!
Original post by maljebo

Kafi 3ad, huwa o rabah yinjaaz.
Reply 256
OMG u neeed help !!!!!!!!!!! at least he was muslim and yeah allah yr7maaa ,,,i'm sure u r another wasted 3ajmiiii and saddam kicked ur parent out of iraqqqq !!!

lul wat?
Kafi 3ad, huwa o rabah yinjaaz.

"w 2thkroooo m7asan amwatkoom "
at the end of the day he is dead so why should we talk about a dead person this way !!!!!!!!!!
that dude is weriddd :s-smilie:
"w 2thkroooo m7asan amwatkoom "
at the end of the day he is dead so why should we talk about a dead person this way !!!!!!!!!!
that dude is weriddd :s-smilie:

I'm sure he has his reasons.

Let's just change the topic now. :yy:
SUBJECT CHANGEEEE :biggrin:

I just got a ridiculous amount of pos rep on a random post I made slagging off that 'im so academic' ... TSR is hilarious. :daydreaming:

On a different note, I'm going to Syria next month. Wish me luck...

Quick Reply