The Student Room Group

Becoming a Lawyer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by AmzBabz
hi i would love to come a lawyer but i feel like i am being pushed away from it and nobody around wants me to be it. i am 13 and i keep being told i wont be able to be a lawyer it to much work so what shall i do?

At 13 it's perhaps a little too young to tell, so try not to think about it too much for a few years. It may well be quite possible for you to be a lawyer. When you have to do work experience in Year 10 or 11, try to get some work experience in a solicitors firm/office to get a feel for what it's like.
Original post by lord hysteria
hello lawyers

if i go to queen mary law school will i be disadvantaged from getting into the mc law firms?
Original post by iheartmondays
if i go to queen mary law school will i be disadvantaged from getting into the mc law firms?

Why would you be?
QM is one of the top law schools in the UK, the best in London and 3rd in the league tables after Oxford and Cambridge according to The Guardian :smile:
Original post by FreshPrincess1
Why would you be?
QM is one of the top law schools in the UK, the best in London and 3rd in the league tables after Oxford and Cambridge according to The Guardian :smile:

OMGG!! Well that's great!!! Soo how is it like in QMUL for law hun?
Btw guys, heres a quick extra-curricluar thing you can get involved with. Write an article for the Student Law Reports!

And sorry this is off topic but hopefully it will help you get a TC, VS and so on.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1507726
What if you did a Science degree and then decided to do a law conversion course? Could you do that? Would they take you on??
Original post by hmaus
Yes, this is no problem and a science background can actually be very useful for certain areas of law e.g. patents, life sciences, work in industrial sectors requiring specific technical or scientic knowledge.

Oh that's a very good point. I'm doing Geology/Earth Science, so that could be useful in terms of environmental law and groundworks, thanks! :smile:
Reply 67
What if I suddenly had a change of heart and do not want to become a lawyer? What other possibilities are there for me? I am currently reading for a Bachelor of laws, i am in my second year. What can I do once I have attained my LLB? Don't get me wrong I intend to keep on studying, but I am not sure if , for example, doing a Masters in International Law would help me get a job.. will it? Would it enable me to be employed by let's say, an NGO?

Thank you to anyone that can help me in this !! I am so lost :redface:
Reply 68
I'm not really sure I get the LLM bit. After finishing 3 years of law school (LLB), would I need to do the LPC or the BVC before heading the grad school for a LLM or would I need finish LLM straight after the 3 years of LLB before doing the LPC or BVC?

This is assuming that I will definitely be doing LLM.
what if someone did a media degree, would they be able to do the conversion course? Just a random thought :smile: (I do this....the random thought thing that is lol)
Original post by hmaus
Yes, you could do the conversion course with a media degree. I would advise you to do some serious research before signing up to it though. Ideally you should apply for training contracts first and get funding for the course, as the GDL is pretty expensive and doesn't guarantee a job. Look around this forum and go to law careers.net and chambers student guide for more info!

thanks, much appreciated! :smile:

so my local uni is still accepting applications for september. How would you recommend getting it funded, as I know I can't use a career development loan :s:

Basically if I apply for training contracts for 2013, would a firm be likely to fund my GDL?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
There are loads of training contract providers in this new law magazine - it's probably best to use the contact details - websites, email addresses, etc - in each listing and contact / look up each firm directly?
Reply 72
Is Northampton university ok to study law and become a solicitor. However, it is ranked 89 out of 94 for law schools, will this affect me becoming a solicitor? thanks :smile:
Reply 73
I chose english lit and lang, media studies, geography and art for AS, but I heard you need history for law, (or that its prefered). Im afraid I may have chosen the wrong A levels for my chosen career aspect.

Would I still be able to get into a good law school with my chosen subjects?!
Original post by brokegirl
I chose english lit and lang, media studies, geography and art for AS, but I heard you need history for law, (or that its prefered). Im afraid I may have chosen the wrong A levels for my chosen career aspect.

Would I still be able to get into a good law school with my chosen subjects?!

Yes, I think you can still get into a good law school if you do well at A-levels.
It is definitely not compulsory to study history at a level to read law at university but "media studies" is not exactly regarded as a great subject to take at A-level and might be seen in a negative way by some law schools.
Just make sure you get at least AAB and you'll be fine imo :smile:
Can a foreigner be a practicing lawyer in the UK?
I came to England from the Ukraine in September 2011, and currently I'm studying in year 12 at a private school. I'm going to apply to Oxford university Law course, but I'm wondering if I can become a practicing barrister in the UK afterwards?
Overall I aim for the UN, so am I on the right track?
Reply 76
Original post by Valerie Tsekhanska
Can a foreigner be a practicing lawyer in the UK?
I came to England from the Ukraine in September 2011, and currently I'm studying in year 12 at a private school. I'm going to apply to Oxford university Law course, but I'm wondering if I can become a practicing barrister in the UK afterwards?
Overall I aim for the UN, so am I on the right track?

Check the Bar website, but I see no reason why not.

I presume when you say UN you mean ICJ or ILC (though I think that's largely academics)? In which case the narrowing at every stage will be so extreme until you get there it's hard to say. If it's stuff like Human Rights Commission I'm not sure. Otherwise I think the UN main is more for diplomats, so the FCO, which does require British citizenship.
Original post by roh
Check the Bar website, but I see no reason why not.

I presume when you say UN you mean ICJ or ILC (though I think that's largely academics)? In which case the narrowing at every stage will be so extreme until you get there it's hard to say. If it's stuff like Human Rights Commission I'm not sure. Otherwise I think the UN main is more for diplomats, so the FCO, which does require British citizenship.

Thank you, the site you posted is quite helpful. I was thinking of ILC or HRC, but I can't think so far ahead. I have doubt if I should go for PPE course, since it involves more of international relations, politics and economics, which could be useful for the UN; or for Law with its International and European Human Rights options. Moreover, I can't be involved in Politics in the UK, since it requires British citizenship, doesn't it?
So I'm still thinking with path is more appropriate: through Law or PPE course.
Reply 78
Original post by Valerie Tsekhanska
Thank you, the site you posted is quite helpful. I was thinking of ILC or HRC, but I can't think so far ahead. I have doubt if I should go for PPE course, since it involves more of international relations, politics and economics, which could be useful for the UN; or for Law with its International and European Human Rights options. Moreover, I can't be involved in Politics in the UK, since it requires British citizenship, doesn't it?
So I'm still thinking with path is more appropriate: through Law or PPE course.

By the time you could really do politics you might well have British citizenship.

For the civil service/FCO or being an MP you'd need it, but stuff like special advisor or working at a thinktank may not.

PPE is particularly competitive (and I think maths A Level is helpful, though not required). Here you can see it's 14.8%, though law's not much better at 16%.

You may want to check out the Law with European Law (study abroad in the Netherlands) option as it seems particularly suited to your interests.

http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/abroad.php
Original post by roh
By the time you could really do politics you might well have British citizenship.

For the civil service/FCO or being an MP you'd need it, but stuff like special advisor or working at a thinktank may not.

PPE is particularly competitive (and I think maths A Level is helpful, though not required). Here you can see it's 14.8%, though law's not much better at 16%.

You may want to check out the Law with European Law (study abroad in the Netherlands) option as it seems particularly suited to your interests.

http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/abroad.php

Do u think my chances to be employed as a barrister and as a special advisor are equal? It seems to me as more of a problem.
MAths is not a problem since I m doing Russian, Maths, English Literature, History, Chemistry and Business studies as my A2s.
I will apply for European LAw with studies in the Netherlands if I chose Law, but the chances are SO LOW. 4 places gotta be a joke :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest