The Student Room Group

"Beware the man of one book."

St. Thomas Aquinas

What do you think this means? I'd love to hear differing opinions. Just as a slight bit of background, it's essentially about learning and education...
If you ever find a man who has only read one book. Stay away.
Reply 2
St. Thomas Aquinas - I remember him from R.S. - something religious/pholosophical?
Reply 3
That if someone has only ever read one book in their life then there is something obviously wrong with this person.
Meh. Probably something to do with fanatic fundamentalism.
Reply 5

I think it means you should be wary of someone who gets all their views from one "book".

Whether it be a literal book, newspapers, media, TV, religion or a certain group.

It's saying people should form their opinion from a combination of viewpoints; be careful of people who don't!

Sensible advice.
Reply 6
Possibly because the man has read only one book in his life, it makes him a bit stupid and ignorant, therefore we should avoid ignorant people! :tongue:
Isn't the book a metaphor for how open your mind is?
If you've read one book then you only subscribe to one viewpoint so therefore are ignorant and narrow minded.
(edited 13 years ago)
If they only live by one set of rules/ or they've only read one book. Basically they're dumb, son.
Reply 9
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
If you've read one book then you only subscribe to one viewpoint so therefore are ignorant and narrow minded.

Yes, I took it to be a metaphor. I see it as meaning one set of views, or perhaps the book is a metaphor for education itself. Perhaps 'education' is a library, so beware of those who have read one book i.e uneducated, ignorant as someone else said.
Reply 10
Ironically, Aquinas is most famous for his work on reforming aristotellian and other classical philosophy into a form compatible with the Bible - the only book to matter to him.
Reply 11
Original post by Bunkd
Ironically, Aquinas is most famous for his work on reforming aristotellian and other classical philosophy into a form compatible with the Bible - the only book to matter to him.

I don't think it was quite the only book that mattered to him, but I appreciate what you're saying.
I think it means we should be cautious of those individuals who've only read one book, because they can't be reasoned with as their knowledge of the world is limited to only one book.
Original post by Magsam
I think it means you should be wary of someone who gets all their views from one "book".

Whether it be a literal book, newspapers, media, TV, religion or a certain group.

It's saying people should form their opinion from a combination of viewpoints; be careful of people who don't!

Sensible advice.

Best of all:biggrin:
Beware the man who has thoroughly mastered one discipline. He can be exceptionally formidable.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by rylit91
St. Thomas Aquinas

What do you think this means? I'd love to hear differing opinions. Just as a slight bit of background, it's essentially about learning and education...

Guess!
Original post by Colour Me Pretty

:smile: you should teach BLM
Original post by Taranishiya
:smile: you should teach BLM

You should read a book - even just one book will be of tremendous help in your case.

Quick Reply