The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
hey does anyone know the minimum weekly hours for ASDA? I'm at uni and already have 2 other jobs but 8-10, possibly 12 hours a week would be great.. a few places i've tried only want 16+ commitment...
Original post by _jason_
Hi all, just started working at Asda as a temp at weekends.

Whats everyones experience of their attitude to shift times?

Also a slightly different note, how do you get your payslip from Asda? Do they post it to you or do you collect it in store somewhere?

Tbh, at my Asda it's quite informal a lot like if it's quiet i'll be asked if i want to go home early and when busy you get asked to stay later. If you do it they do appreciate it but they understand if you have other things planned and can't do it. They're not going to penalise you over it really.

Your payslip will be instore, ours is normally in our managers pigeonhole or attached to our department board where the rota is...

Original post by schpanzy
hey does anyone know the minimum weekly hours for ASDA? I'm at uni and already have 2 other jobs but 8-10, possibly 12 hours a week would be great.. a few places i've tried only want 16+ commitment...

The normal rule is 15 hours plus but they are flexible with it. I did a year at 4.5 hours a week and then the next at 7.5...(a lot more at holidays though)

It more depends if you find a nice manager who is willing to let you have not many term time hours if you commit to a lot of holiday hours
Reply 222
Original post by schpanzy

mine's 12. i think (at least where I am) they like to give lower figures for minimum hours so they don't HAVE to give you much but can give you lots of overtime if needed... but then you can just say you only want to do the twelve :smile:
Reply 223
Original post by MHorman
Tbh, at my Asda it's quite informal a lot like if it's quiet i'll be asked if i want to go home early and when busy you get asked to stay later. If you do it they do appreciate it but they understand if you have other things planned and can't do it. They're not going to penalise you over it really.

Your payslip will be instore, ours is normally in our managers pigeonhole or attached to our department board where the rota is...

Thanks MHorman - got my payslip today. I don't know how long ago you did your induction but were you paid for it?

For some reason I'm under the impression the wages are cut off a week before they are paid, so for this month I was paid on the 17th, I assume that includes any hours worked up till the 10th of the month?

Or is it completely different?

They have paid me for 15 hours but I assume this is for my induction as I did work 16 hours over the weekend.
Original post by _jason_
Thanks MHorman - got my payslip today. I don't know how long ago you did your induction but were you paid for it?

For some reason I'm under the impression the wages are cut off a week before they are paid, so for this month I was paid on the 17th, I assume that includes any hours worked up till the 10th of the month?

They have paid me for 15 hours but I assume this is for my induction as I did work 16 hours over the weekend.

2.5 years ago but yea, you get paid for induction.

And yea, you get paid a week in arrears so paid on the 17th is work up until the 10th.
Reply 225
This email is to confirm that you are booked to attend our Asda Magic - Jan AM.

woo ;P
Reply 226
Original post by Mattbot2
Another Asda employee here :biggrin:, was taken on as a Christmas temp but have been kept on :biggrin:.

Meat aisle.

Snap. Kept on but it appears I was always meant to be Permanent even though it says Temp on my contract. Not complaining!
Reply 227
Hi all!

Technically I am not a student as I am in full time employment but after scouring the net this forum seems to be the most resourceful in regards to answering questions to employment at Asda so I signed up hoping to get some questions answered. (Omg, that was a LONG sentence!)

Anyway, graduated summer last year and found it VERY hard to get a job. I was doing some contract jobs to keep me going. Finally a chance opened up at my local Asda so I applied. I was initially accepted on a temp contract working full time in the BWS department. Anyway, I was lucky to be kept on the same department and was offered a permanent contract but with 1 day less compared to when I was working as a temp.

I have recently received my contract but was a bit surprised at how it looked. Basically it was just a piece of paper stating my hours and which department I work in. I think my temp contract looked better lol. Reading carefully it seemed more like a department transfer form or something.

I am wondering if this is indeed the standard contract? My manager reassured me I am taken on as permanent colleague. As I was taken in during the busiest period of the year I didn't really went through the proper training and I am not sure if I would be offered any (Asda has a 12 week training system).

Just a bit in the dark here and I am not sure who to ask as I am a bit shy (:P) and also being the new guy doesn't really help. Hopefully someone in the same boat could offer their views.
Reply 228
Original post by naomaccia

Original post by naomaccia
Thank you very much!! i'm a bit worried i'll screw up with various credit cards and top up cards, but i'm sure i'll eventually learn. i hope. :biggrin:

Credit cards are easy just press EFT :smile:

Also, top ups are easy, just remember that to get them up on your till you need to press 55 action code :smile:

the till will show you the rest!
Reply 229
Original post by _jason_

Original post by _jason_

Yes, you're right, all ASDA colleagues are payed up to 7 days before payday, that's the cut off point, and then whatever you work in those 7 days before payday will go over to the NEXT payday. :smile:
Reply 230
Original post by jonny81

Original post by jonny81
Hi all!

Technically I am not a student as I am in full time employment but after scouring the net this forum seems to be the most resourceful in regards to answering questions to employment at Asda so I signed up hoping to get some questions answered. (Omg, that was a LONG sentence!)

Anyway, graduated summer last year and found it VERY hard to get a job. I was doing some contract jobs to keep me going. Finally a chance opened up at my local Asda so I applied. I was initially accepted on a temp contract working full time in the BWS department. Anyway, I was lucky to be kept on the same department and was offered a permanent contract but with 1 day less compared to when I was working as a temp.

I have recently received my contract but was a bit surprised at how it looked. Basically it was just a piece of paper stating my hours and which department I work in. I think my temp contract looked better lol. Reading carefully it seemed more like a department transfer form or something.

I am wondering if this is indeed the standard contract? My manager reassured me I am taken on as permanent colleague. As I was taken in during the busiest period of the year I didn't really went through the proper training and I am not sure if I would be offered any (Asda has a 12 week training system).

Just a bit in the dark here and I am not sure who to ask as I am a bit shy (:P) and also being the new guy doesn't really help. Hopefully someone in the same boat could offer their views.

I recently received a contract change to my current one, the contract forms can come in many many different shaped, colours and sizes. Contracts will not look that spectacular, they are just a peice of paper with your hours on and then you sign it and that's it really! Just remember, once it's signed, you're committed! You HAVE to do those hours!

Benefits are however, that you get payid holiday and a chance to get bonus!
Reply 231
Original post by Mark091

Original post by Mark091
Hello, I recently popped into my local ASDA store to inquire whether they have any jobs going at the moment, the person i spoke to said they are recruiting and that i should check on the website. However, when i got home and looked on the ASDA recruitment website, it said that no jobs were available in my area, so could you please help me.

Customer Service Colleagues can never be %100 sure on whether the store is taking on or not, jobs in a store come and go a fair bit. So it's always advisable to keep on checking online, it could be that a job has come up but it may take some time to process online. It's been a few weeks since you asked, so likelihood is the role has been filled now (if there was one in the first place)

Don't worry though, just keep checking online :smile:
Reply 232
Original post by laurae135

Original post by laurae135
Hi, i attended an asda magic interview bascially the group interview thing, and have heard no word back, although we were told we would know by email if unsuccesful or a phone call if succesful after 2weeks, its nearly been three weeks and i was wondering do you know what that means? thanks

It could be anything really, it could be that you were unsuccessful, or it could be that you were successful!

The best thing to do is to give them a ring and speak to them over the phone, there may have been a slip up somewhere and perhaps a phonecall or email didn't make it out too you when it was intended :smile:
Reply 233
I started working for Asda( part time) around July 2010, i had january alevel exams and asked for a holiday during this time. I was given a month holiday. But now im worried that i wont get holiday for my june exams.
What the policy with the holidays.
Thanks allot
Original post by killik
I started working for Asda( part time) around July 2010, i had january alevel exams and asked for a holiday during this time. I was given a month holiday. But now im worried that i wont get holiday for my june exams.
What the policy with the holidays.
Thanks allot

They're normally nice and understanding if you give them notice.

I used to take time off round exams and then make up for it by working more over the summer holidays and they were happy enough.

I'd say ask them when you go back but tell them at the same time that you'll be looking for overtime over summer and they should allow it.

There are special breaks allowed for students. I'm seasonal atm so only working xmas/summer and that works for me.
Reply 235
Original post by MHorman

Original post by MHorman

I used to take time off round exams and then make up for it by working more over the summer holidays and they were happy enough.

I'd say ask them when you go back but tell them at the same time that you'll be looking for overtime over summer and they should allow it.

There are special breaks allowed for students. I'm seasonal atm so only working xmas/summer and that works for me.

Yeah, ASDA is well known for it's understanding and flexibility when it comes to holidays and the needs of it's colleagues. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you sit down with your manager privately and just tell them about your situation and what you need to do.

At the end of the day your exams are far more important than your job, and they understand that too! :smile:
Reply 236
Got my first 'real' pay and was pleasantly surprised. :smile:

I have been paid a Float Day, which I understand as because I'm in Scotland and my contract would have had me working on Sunday 26th Dec I got paid for my shift then.

What exactly does "BHOL Day" mean on payslip? Assuming it's something to do with Bank Holiday, but I have already been paid time and half for working bank holidays in the past month.
Reply 237
Original post by MHorman

Original post by m00balot
Yeah, ASDA is well known for it's understanding and flexibility when it comes to holidays and the needs of it's colleagues. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you sit down with your manager privately and just tell them about your situation and what you need to do.

At the end of the day your exams are far more important than your job, and they understand that too! :smile:

Thanks allot :wink:, ill talk to my manager after i return from this holiday. Hopefully it will work out :smile:
Anyone who loves working at Asda = you're crackers!!! I've been v poorly for ages, they were aware. Got chest infection on top of what I already got, didn't go in last week. Had a return to work today - I'm banned from doing any overtime, if I'm sick again I face disciplinary and getting no bonus??!!! I understand it's company policy but come on, it's ridiculous!! Jeeze. And I only do 6hrs a week :-/.
Original post by _jason_
Got my first 'real' pay and was pleasantly surprised. :smile:

I have been paid a Float Day, which I understand as because I'm in Scotland and my contract would have had me working on Sunday 26th Dec I got paid for my shift then.

What exactly does "BHOL Day" mean on payslip? Assuming it's something to do with Bank Holiday, but I have already been paid time and half for working bank holidays in the past month.

we get a tiny bonus for working bank holidays, we think its performance based as its always variable. also we think you get more if you are not contracted to do it (not sure on this one)

also does anyone have any idea how ive managed at 5.30h seasonal contract with as much or little overtime as i want ? i thought all seasonal lwer 16h+

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending