The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE postgraduate offer holders 2011/2012

Scroll to see replies

I really want to find a part-time job while I'm there (because of obvious financial reasons). How feasible do you guys think that would be? I dunno, as an overseas student, it would probably be much more difficult to get a part-time job? Of course it'd be great if I could get a job related to research (or politics) but I suppose that's just wishful thinking? Really, I don't mind doing anything, waiting on tables, flipping burgers, as long as the money's rolling in :wink:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by goewyn
Hi Henry! I'm sure it's just a small wording error :smile: So like theapplicant, you're a Brit? What's your thoughts on accommodation - will you apply for the halls or get private housing?

Haha, where did you think that??

I'm a dual Danish/Hungarian citizen :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by theapplicant
Haha, where did you think that??

I'm a dual Danish/Hungarian citizen :biggrin:

You know, I don't actually know why I thought that :s-smilie: Goewyn -- fail. :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by crystal.chan
I really want to find a part-time job while I'm there (because of obvious financial reasons). How feasible do you guys think that would be? I dunno, as an overseas student, it would probably be much more difficult to get a part-time job? Of course it'd be great if I could get a job related to research (or politics) but I suppose that's just wishful thinking? Really, I don't mind doing anything, waiting on tables, flipping burgers, as long as the money's rolling in :wink:

I'll have to work 2 days per week or so. I don't think being an international student will be the problem, I think it will be the large cohort of brilliant postgrad students looking for similar work :tongue: I'll give research etc a shot first, but if I have no luck then admin or pulling beers it is.
Reply 44
HI GUYS!!!

I AM SO HAPPY THAT I AM ALREADY PART OF THIS THREAD!

Are you guys sure that the accommodation application will start on Feb 1?
Reply 45
Hi Guys,

I received a conditional offer for Msc Politics and government in the European Union, so I can finally post a reply!:smile:

I'll be applying for university accommodation as well, but will also look out for private accommodation. However, I'm not sure whether that will actually work out since I'm Dutch and I'm not planning to fly over to the UK everytime I want to check out a possible room..:wink:

I'm not sure about finding a job there, I'd prefer to first focus on my studies and guess I'll be able to manage financially (loans, parents, savings etc.) Most probably it will not be too difficult to find a job if you're not picky in what you want to do.
Reply 46
Congrats on the offer guys :smile:

Original post by lovekababs
HI GUYS!!!

I AM SO HAPPY THAT I AM ALREADY PART OF THIS THREAD!

Are you guys sure that the accommodation application will start on Feb 1?

Yes. Earlier in the thread I quoted the email I received from the accommodation office. Which halls take your fancy?

Original post by maroj
Hi Guys,

I received a conditional offer for Msc Politics and government in the European Union, so I can finally post a reply!:smile:

I'll be applying for university accommodation as well, but will also look out for private accommodation. However, I'm not sure whether that will actually work out since I'm Dutch and I'm not planning to fly over to the UK everytime I want to check out a possible room..:wink:

I'm not sure about finding a job there, I'd prefer to first focus on my studies and guess I'll be able to manage financially (loans, parents, savings etc.) Most probably it will not be too difficult to find a job if you're not picky in what you want to do.

Yeah, finding a private place takes a lot of work I've found if you don't want to be in a dodgy situation; that's why I'll be going with the LSE accommodation. I would love to not work and focus on the studies, but bar a very small chance with two other funding possibilities I haven't applied for yet, it's unavoidable. Plus, at least in Australia, working while studying is just a given: I worked part time throughout my degree. I'm picky, but not in the traditional sense; working in a bar or something would be a great way to meet other people in London outside of the LSE libraries :tongue:
Reply 47
Unconditional offer holder for Msc. in Comparative Politics. :smile:

So already starting to look around for where I should look to find some accommodation; have to say that the Erasmus experience (although a super one) fed me up a tiny bit with dorms and the like. Basically now looking for private accommodation.

So any of you knows about a good website for this sort of things? (I'm not being lazy but sometimes people have better knowledge about it than google :tongue: )

By the way congrats to all of you, don't know if you also needed to re-read the graduate application tracker 4times, as I did, before realizing.
I'm finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Unconditional offer.... MSc. Accounting and Finance
Reply 49
Original post by Track-a-holic
I'm finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Unconditional offer.... MSc. Accounting and Finance

:biggrin: Congrats!!! I'm glad to see some Finance peeps filtering through - I'm so excited about next year :smile:
Reply 50
YAAY hey guys! I Just got my conditional offer finally!! So excited to be joining all of you next year, I can't believe we will all be attending one of the best schools in the world for our postgrad... congrats to all of you!!

I am now wondering about housing.. hmm... anyone in here doing private housing??
Original post by henryt
:biggrin: Congrats!!! I'm glad to see some Finance peeps filtering through - I'm so excited about next year :smile:

Thanks... Me too :biggrin:
Reply 52
SOS! Anyone out there that can help me!

I am a new member to the site. I got a conditional offer to LSE, but I cant fulfill one of the conditions for my MSc in Development Studies, my first choice.

I am currently finishing my degree in Political Science in Argentina and have a GPA of 8,63/10 and have two exams left. One of my conditions is an overall mark of 9/10. Its imposible for me to push it up to nine with two exams left. When I applied I had a gpa of 8.59 and had six exams to go (even if in every exam i got 10/10 it would have only bumped it to 8.8/10.)
I will request a waiver, what do you think are my chances?
In my letter requesting the waiver I have told the following;

Strong consistent marks all through my four years of study. my last year grade average was 9. My thesis paper got the only 10/10 of 70 thesis papers. I can get a letter from the headmaster of my deparment to state that i am in top tier of my class. I guess when i finish i'll be in the top five percent. What do you think are my chances in gettin in?
I did a recount to my grades, stating I have overall strong marks in history, IR, economics and sociology.. Please someone advice me on how to proceed!
Reply 53
Original post by slater88
YAAY hey guys! I Just got my conditional offer finally!! So excited to be joining all of you next year, I can't believe we will all be attending one of the best schools in the world for our postgrad... congrats to all of you!!

I am now wondering about housing.. hmm... anyone in here doing private housing??

Not currently, but yeah will do private housing.
Hey do u guys know when the LSE accommodation application is open? Accommodation is worrying me at the moment!
I'm planning on doing private housing, primarily because I think it will be cheaper than living in a residence hall. This is based on gumtree.com, where it's not uncommon to see rooms in flats for less than 100 weekly. Anyone have firsthand knowledge or experience with this site?
Reply 56
Original post by eponymous1968
I'm planning on doing private housing, primarily because I think it will be cheaper than living in a residence hall. This is based on gumtree.com, where it's not uncommon to see rooms in flats for less than 100 weekly. Anyone have firsthand knowledge or experience with this site?

hmm i cannot say for sure, but IMO (and a humble one at that), i think you should use the uni London private accommodations website (you will have to apply for a password) and the links provided by the LSE.

Maybe a Londoner can answer you, though there are not much so far.
Original post by eponymous1968

I lived in london for the past 20 years. Gumtree is what everyone uses. Since I left home (5 years ago) I have always used gumtree to find rooms / apartments.

Good luck!
A li'l help guys!!!!!!! :biggrin:

I need to submit "Original or certified copies of my transcripts from the entire duration of my degree"

I intend to submit certified copies.
I read through the website but I'm still not sure about the following :

a) Should my transcripts be copied onto college letterhead sheets?

b) Should the transcripts be submitted in a sealed envelope?

c) The GA had asked for an explanatory note to my third year transcipt on my college letterhead. My college has already submitted the note in a sealed envelope in November. The college also sent me a copy of the note the on the letterhead.

Would it be advisable for me to submit that copy along with the copies of the transcripts? (I wouldn't, of course, be able to add it to the sealed envelope. I would have to enclose it seperately)

Or should I ask my college to give me a fresh letter in place of the explanatory note and add have them enclose it in the sealed envelope as well?

Or should I just forget about the explanatory note as they already have it on the college letterhead in a sealed envelope?

Please advise.

I intend to go to my college and get the certified copies the 1st thing tomorrow morning.... and GA won't be open at that time :s-smilie:

Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by Track-a-holic
A li'l help guys!!!!!!! :biggrin:

I need to submit "Original or certified copies of my transcripts from the entire duration of my degree"

I intend to submit certified copies.
I read through the website but I'm still not sure about the following :

a) Should my transcripts be copied onto college letterhead sheets?

b) Should the transcripts be submitted in a sealed envelope?

c) The GA had asked for an explanatory note to my third year transcipt on my college letterhead. My college has already submitted the note in a sealed envelope in November. The college also sent me a copy of the note the on the letterhead.

Would it be advisable for me to submit that copy along with the copies of the transcripts? (I wouldn't, of course, be able to add it to the sealed envelope. I would have to enclose it seperately)

Or should I ask my college to give me a fresh letter in place of the explanatory note and add have them enclose it in the sealed envelope as well?

Or should I just forget about the explanatory note as they already have it on the college letterhead in a sealed envelope?

Please advise.

I intend to go to my college and get the certified copies the 1st thing tomorrow morning.... and GA won't be open at that time :s-smilie:

Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Hi, one of my conditions is also that I have to send in official transcripts. I read that they should indeed be in sealed envelopes, with an official stamp and signed. Just to be sure I would ask your school to enclose the explanatory letter together with another official copy of your transcript.

Quick Reply