The Student Room Group

Asking Gp for endoscopy

For the 2nd time in my life, I have a suspected stomach ulcer. I am 21 years old, female, no other health problems. Im waiting for a h.pylori result, and am on lansoprozole (ppi) in the meantime. The abdo pain is getting worse, but I am waiting for this damn bacteria result.

I cant take the pain much longer, is it possible to ask the gp and get a referral for an endoscopy/gastroscopy. I dont want to get turned away, i know I am young, but the pain is unbearable.

is there anything i can say to persuade the gp to refer me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dairygirl224
For the 2nd time in my life, I have a suspected stomach ulcer. I am 21 years old, female, no other health problems. Im waiting for a h.pylori result, and am on lansoprozole (ppi) in the meantime. The abdo pain is getting worse, but I am waiting for this damn bacteria result.

I cant take the pain much longer, is it possible to ask the gp and get a referral for an endoscopy/gastroscopy. I dont want to get turned away, i know I am young, but the pain is unbearable.

is there anything i can say to persuade the gp to refer me?

Wait for the results first.
If it comes back positive you'll be given antibiotics which clear nearly all H.Pylori associated ulcers.

If it comes back negative then they may investigate further with an OGD.
Reply 2
Original post by Jamie
Wait for the results first.
If it comes back positive you'll be given antibiotics which clear nearly all H.Pylori associated ulcers.

If it comes back negative then they may investigate further with an OGD.

Jamie is right but if you do go back to your doctor and need further investigation, do explain your emotions too. If the pain/discomfort is affecting you to such an extent, your doctor should take this into consideration. Don't forget that a gastroscopy can also be a painful process too though.

Good luck.
Reply 3
If your pain is getting worse or has changed character you should see your doctor straight away.
Reply 4
I really feel for you because Ive been through the exact same thing so I know how horrible it is. I was on endless medication for suspected stomach ulcers, my GP prescribed me about 4/5 different medications over a prolonged period of time, without any success. My h.pylori test came back negative. In the end I was referred for an endoscopy (after being unwell for over a year with constant indigestion and stomach problems), which actually showed something completely different. Wait for the test results and if you are still feeling unwell after going back then hopefully your GP will refer you.
Reply 5
I had a full blood test, all the usual stuff. Turns out im anemic. Im seeing gp ontuesday, but is it likely to be from a bleeding ulcer? The pain hasnt gone, despite a week on lansoprazole. My tummy is more tender, and i just feel wrong and run down. Im still waiting for the stool test to come back, but i want to ask for a endoscopy. :frown:
I can't really give you any advice on this, but good luck! I hope everything turns out ok, and that it isn't anything really serious :s-smilie:
Reply 7
I had a full blood test, all the usual stuff. Turns out im anemic. Im seeing gp ontuesday, but is it likely to be from a bleeding ulcer? The pain hasnt gone, despite a week on lansoprazole. My tummy is more tender, and i just feel wrong and run down. Im still waiting for the stool test to come back, but i want to ask for a endoscopy. :frown:

You might just need different medication, and they'll have to wait for the stool sample results to decide what to do next probably. I dont think your GP will refer you until all other options have been explored.
Reply 8
I am i. Such pain- what is the gp likely to do next test wise? I have pit on a bit of weight, not from eating differently, am constantly bloated Nd in pain :frown:
Well if you push for endo you may just get it, but from what I've heard it's an absolutely nightmare experience!

Use endo as your last resort!
Reply 10
Just as an update, I went to A&E last night as the pain was too much. After blood tests and urine tests, I am badly anemic. I knew this from a GP blood test done last week, but it was showing further blood loss.

The registrar said that I have a bleeding ulcer, badly, and was given co-dydramol, and told to get emergency appt with gp today for endo referral.
Reply 11
Glad they've found out what it is!

The endo isnt that bad either, it wasnt as bad as I imagined it would be anyway. Take the sedative if they offer you it. It's uncomfortable whey they insert/remove the camera but only because it makes you gag, but it's over and done with in a few minutes.
Reply 12
Do you get results instantly?
Reply 13
They did with me
Reply 14
Just as an update, I went to A&E last night as the pain was too much. After blood tests and urine tests, I am badly anemic. I knew this from a GP blood test done last week, but it was showing further blood loss.
Not if you're at home you're not.
Reply 15
I mean from the endoscopy, will the dr tell me straight away if I have ulcers?

Also, is the dr able to cauterise the ulcer and stop it bleeding there and then?

A lot of my pain is pelvic, and the hospital registrar said that it could be the blood being reabsorbed in my gut, has anyone else heard of this, or should I push for more tests?
Reply 16
Only with as much certainty as the test allows.

Also, is the dr able to cauterise the ulcer and stop it bleeding there and then?
Usually.

A lot of my pain is pelvic, and the hospital registrar said that it could be the blood being reabsorbed in my gut, has anyone else heard of this, or should I push for more tests?
I think you don't have horrifically bleeding ulcers and you probably don't need an endoscopy.
Reply 17
Both gp and hospital dr said I need one, independant of each other. Noticed you are a dr, could O ask something else. Gp said my blood work showed my iron stores
Should be between 25-100 but mine were 5. When i search for iron stores on net, the 25-100 range is not mentioned. Is there a scientific/other name for the stores.

Thanks

After my endoscopy, I didn't find out much. The doctor just told me they had found a polyp and that's about it, as I was still not quite awake as I was knocked out for it. I then went back a month later to see what the results were.

It's really nothing to worry about...if you are asleep for it..no idea what it is like if you are awake!
Reply 19
I had the endoscopy, using the spray. It was fine, but I was told there was no stomach ulcer, and they took 4 biopsies. The pain has now moved to over the ovary area. It feels like a constant period pain, but I dont have them due to the IUS. Does anyone have any experience of pain like this? I have tested positive for H Pylori, but if I dont have an ulcer, I dont need to be treated. I am severely aneamic, so I am clearly bleeding from somewhere, but its not obvious where.

Quick Reply

Latest