The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

Have some lambing booked in two weeks time. I'm unbelievably happy i have something sorted.

Now need to tackle the equine/LA Vets :mad:
Arghhhh, I've applied to all the veterinary clinics I could find in both Ipswich and Dublin, and I either got a rejection or no reply :frown:

Does anyone know of any veterinary practices where they got accepted in Ipswich? Or any other good veterinary practices in Suffolk?
Reply 1082
Original post by itsjordan
Arghhhh, I've applied to all the veterinary clinics I could find in both Ipswich and Dublin, and I either got a rejection or no reply :frown:

Does anyone know of any veterinary practices where they got accepted in Ipswich? Or any other good veterinary practices in Suffolk?

If you got no reply, contact them again. Ring them and ask if they got the letter. No reply isn't a rejection :wink:
.. Anyone know a dairy farm around Manchester???

And anyone know any stables too?

An abbattoir would be good too if anyone knows one please?

They're all I have to get. Thank you (:
Reply 1084
I have finaly booked my first work experience. im soo exsited :smile:
What did everyone have done before sixth form?

I have booked:
3 days small animal vet at easter (with a view to doing another week in summer)
1 week another small animal vet in summer

2 weeks worth helping at stables/riding for the disabled already done
have been helping at kennels all holidays since i was 11 and ran the place last summer :smile:

soo I will have all the horses, kennels and at least some SA by the time i go into 6th form!

which leaves lambing for year 12 half term i guess! and large animal/equine vet either this summer or next. and dairy... although my family install dairies for a living so hoping i can get a placement!
Reply 1086
Original post by Leigh303
and dairy... although my family install dairies for a living so hoping i can get a placement!

Don't suppose they have installed any in SE Kent lol? I can't find a dairy!!!!
Original post by Kay17
Don't suppose they have installed any in SE Kent lol? I can't find a dairy!!!!

Afraid not, nowhere near!! :/
Reply 1088
hiyaa, im new to this but i could do with some advice,
so far i have arranged this work experience:
4 weeks in small animal practices - 3 different practices
6 months work on a sunday in a cattery
1 week in a dairy farm
volunteering at dogs trust
just wondering what else i need to find?

also struggling to find a large animal vets? - do i need one?
thankss :smile:
Reply 1089
Original post by hannah66
hiyaa, im new to this but i could do with some advice,
so far i have arranged this work experience:
4 weeks in small animal practices - 3 different practices
6 months work on a sunday in a cattery
1 week in a dairy farm
volunteering at dogs trust
just wondering what else i need to find?

also struggling to find a large animal vets? - do i need one?
thankss :smile:

ask the dairy farmer what vet he uses(ask him to introduce you).
some lambing would also be good
Reply 1090
Hi all - my daughter wants to be a vet (she's year 11 at the mo and sorting out work experience). We've both read loads and found TSR really helpful - but today a work colleague told me about her friend's daughter being turned down from vet courses due to not having 12 weeks worth of work experience. I'm slightly confused - everything I've read doesn't add up to that amount of WE - even Liverpool "only" ask for 10 weeks. She said she's got 11+ weeks of WE but because she didn't have 12, that was the problem (I think she's had one interview and just turned down for others) - she got A*s and As at GCSE and is predicted good A level grades.

So my question... could it just be that there's something I don't know about her (personal statement might not have been very good/predicted grades might not be as good as we think/bad interview) or are the univeristies really saying, when it comes down to it, that you need 12 weeks of work experience????
Original post by zizza
Hi all - my daughter wants to be a vet (she's year 11 at the mo and sorting out work experience). We've both read loads and found TSR really helpful - but today a work colleague told me about her friend's daughter being turned down from vet courses due to not having 12 weeks worth of work experience. I'm slightly confused - everything I've read doesn't add up to that amount of WE - even Liverpool "only" ask for 10 weeks. She said she's got 11+ weeks of WE but because she didn't have 12, that was the problem (I think she's had one interview and just turned down for others) - she got A*s and As at GCSE and is predicted good A level grades.

So my question... could it just be that there's something I don't know about her (personal statement might not have been very good/predicted grades might not be as good as we think/bad interview) or are the univeristies really saying, when it comes down to it, that you need 12 weeks of work experience????

i think liverpool only interview the top x number of people with the most work experience so even if you had the minimum requirement, if everyone else had more you might not get a look in.

however, it would seem weird for all the unis to reject someone just because they had eleven rather than twelve weeks work experience - it just seems a bit arbitrary... perhaps she didn't have enough variety and they suggested she should get an extra week in such and such a placement and she took it the wrong way?

it's important to remember though that veterinary medicine is very competitive and minimum requirements for work experience are just a guideline and many applicants will have much more than the minimum...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by zizza

I would agree with schizopears comment. I've heard from loads of friends how they don't understand how they/or whoever has been rejected because they are a wonderful applicant xA*s at GCSE, xAs at A level and weeks and weeks of work experience. But then you see their personal statement and it is appalling. Or you realised that they have weeks of experience, but it is all at a stables with no variety etc etc.

I would assume there is something you don't know. It would seem strange for it to be 'just' that she doesn't have 12 weeks. I would have thought it more likely that she has been told she needs more farm/equine/vet whatever and she has taken that as 11 weeks isn't enough. Equally though, from what I understand with Liverpool, you fill a work exp form in listing what you have done in time (quite exact!!) and then it ranks people from that. So whilst 10 weeks is the min, if a lot of people have way and above the amount you have you may not be interviewed as you are not in the top % that they are interviewing.

You hear people all the time saying that they got an offer with just 3 weeks work experience, and others saying that they had 3 months worth and didn't get an offer. But I think from what I have seen/heard and from what people talk about on here, it is all a balance thing. If you are really impressive in one field there are more likely to over look a mediocre performance with something else. Equally, if you are mediocre across the board it's not looking as good. If you have fantastic academic performance you are prehaps more likely to be 'get away with' less work exp or extra currics. Whereas for me, my academic performance has always been more questionable, but I have always had plenty to offer in other fields. Got plenty of experience, was working as a shepherd when I had my RVC interview! Done loads of extra curric stuff (duke of ed, guiding/scouting, running large scale events etc), which meant at interview it was obvious that I had lots to offer from that side of things.

I would say you are best obviously trying to cover everything - academics, plus work exp etc. It isn't as cut and dried as you need 12 weeks experience. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm finding it really hard to find a dairy farm around liverpool and i've tried looking in the yellow pages, google and everything else I can think of so does anyone know of any.

My work experience so far:
2 years stables every sunday and wednesday evening
1 rice lane city farm during lambing
dogs trust every saturday
cattery for 6 months
2 vets planned for this year so far
I've also wrote and email another 2 large animal vets.
Reply 1094
Helppp please

I really am struggling to find a dairy farm in Kent area. Also something with pigs.

Am looking at this so much I could do with another POV to check I'm not missing anything

I have done:

1 week lambing
1 week farm (alpaca, chickens, ducks, geese, sheep and horses)
5 hours in cattery every week since April 2010
4 hours in SA vet every week since April 2010
2 days zoo

I have booked:

2 weeks stables
1 week mixed animal vet
1 week goat sanctuary
1 week hydrotherapy
1 week equine vet

and am in the middle of booking a week of kennels.

Any advice and/or suggestions would be really greatly appreciated.
Hi,

I'm having a problem gaining work experience in a small animal vets. I have e-mailed and called in to 25 between Liverpool and Manchester.

Would it be advisable to start at a kennel or farm and then proceed to a vet? And is there an order that work-experience should happen to gain the most benefit from it?

If anyone could advise me of vets that they have had work experience with in the past I would be grateful. I would be willing to travel but would prefer somewhere in the North-West.

Thanks.
HELP :smile:

i'm running out of ideas for animal based work experience and was wondering if you guys had any good ideas!!
This is my experience so far..
- 1 day course of lambing
- 2 weeks in kennels
- many years at stables
- volunteer at cats protection
- Saturday job at local vets
- 1 week large animal vet
- 4 weeks at 3 different vet practices

I know that i need some dairy and some more lambing experience.
I was thinking of a visit to an abattoir?
Other than that i can't think of anything else i can do?

Pig/chicken farm/ zoos? :smile:
Hi,

I'm having a problem gaining work experience in a small animal vets. I have e-mailed and called in to 25 between Liverpool and Manchester.

Would it be advisable to start at a kennel or farm and then proceed to a vet? And is there an order that work-experience should happen to gain the most benefit from it?

If anyone could advise me of vets that they have had work experience with in the past I would be grateful. I would be willing to travel but would prefer somewhere in the North-West.

Thanks.

I feel your pain I live in liverpool and I'm finding it so hard to get work experience its unbelievable.Have you tried Leahurst? they ignored me but they might not ignore you. Also try rutland house in st helens I've got work experiences planned for them later on in the year.
Reply 1099
Can anyone please help me with a dairy farm in Kent??? Am really worried I'm not going to find anywhere in time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending