The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
Original post by RabbitCFH
Why do you (I assume you do) agree with clerical celibacy? Why shouldnt priests be allowed to marry?

You see, I was under the impression that societies were available on TSR for people who shared a common interest to get to know one another and share ideas...not for people to ask questions such as yours.

You might be better off posting your question in a thread specifically for that reason, rather than posing such questions in a society thread.

Have a look at the societies for Jewish and Muslim people on this sub-forum to get an idea of what they're about. :smile:
How do we know (Catholics) if we're in mortal sin? What if we're unsure? Help needed: and not just a convenient quote from the Catechism!
Reply 1022
Original post by breakfastjuiceboy
How do we know (Catholics) if we're in mortal sin? What if we're unsure? Help needed: and not just a convenient quote from the Catechism!

If you want to pm me you are more than welcome. :smile:
Reply 1023
Original post by Aula

shinytoy, if you can get to the 7pm mass at Westminster Cathedral, there is a group of young people who meet after it and go to the pub.

That's a great suggestion for shinytoy...she could meet up with like-minded people of her own age and maybe even find someone to love and who loves her.

I'm thinking that shinytoy was received into the Catholic Church at the Easter vigil two or three years ago...and I thought the venue was at the Diocesan church of Westminster Cathedral...but perhaps my memory lets me down.

I'm sure she will let us know. :smile:
Original post by EnglishDude
As regards the comment that China remains an atheist country. In fact, the underground faith is immensely strong. There are around 7 million Roman Catholics in China alone and the faith is growing everyday as in Malyasia. Yet due to Communist regime this is repressed. Sometimes this makes people appreciate their faith; we should consider how lucky we are to be 'free' to have faith and even the opportunity to sit!
A world without God is unfathomable.
Statistically you are better off to believe in God considering the negative effects if you didn't. I believe this is Wenger's theory- correct me if I'm wrong.
Recently published figures suggest that Church attendance in Ireland has plummeted. However, I do not feel too concerned about this since love of God is not a matter of statistics. The Pope stated on WYD that he would rather have a purer, even if that means smaller, Church. I believe this too.
What do you think?

"Believe in me or I will burn you in the depths of hell" isn't exactly the motto of a God I fancy following, even if he did exist.

And I hate it when people use the logic of "I better believe just to be safe" because these people evidently don't really believe, they just want into heaven, and with God being described as all-knowing, I think he'd be able to tell if you were lying to him.
Original post by shinytoy
where do catholics go apart from church?

Get onto the Paris-Chartres pilgrimage. Biggest youth pilgrimage in Europe, apparently.
Reply 1026
Hey all my mum is a Catholic, I kinda am, but was never confirmed (14 btw) and I remember when I was younger, she used to burn things (kinda like incense) and would walk around all parts of the house with it. She didn't do that for ages.

Tonight she randomly did it, and for some reason my mum being the strict tradition Roman Catholic that she is wouldn't tell me why she does it, she just says because hse wants to? Is that a perfectly justifiable reason?

Any help as to why Catholics burn things would be appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1027
Original post by Seble
Hey all my mum is a Catholic, I kinda am, but was never confirmed (14 btw) and I remember when I was younger, she used to burn things (kinda like incense) and would walk around all parts of the house with it. She didn't do that for ages.

Tonight she randomly did it, and for some reason my mum being the strict tradition Roman Catholic that she is wouldn't tell me why she does it, she just says because hse wants to? Is that a perfectly justifiable reason?

I don't think that this a a phenomenon that is peculiar to Catholics. :biggrin:

I know lots of people who burn 'joss sticks' because they like the smell and the fact that they mask unsavoury smells that might be lingering in the home.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1028
Original post by Seble

Probably because we Catholics are used to being burnt, ourselves, over the centuries :tongue:

But on a more sombre note, I've no idea. Perhaps the smell helps her get into a religious state of mind. I know that may sound silly, but it often works perhaps if praying.
Hi! Just thought and pop my head in and say hi! I'm currently converting to Catholicism from the CofE after I received something of an epiphany.
Reply 1030
Original post by adamrules247
Hi! Just thought and pop my head in and say hi! I'm currently converting to Catholicism from the CofE after I received something of an epiphany.

I sincerely hope your journey in faith will be challenging, joyous and fruitful.

Welcome aboard!

Are you engaged on the RCIA programme?
Original post by yawn
I sincerely hope your journey in faith will be challenging, joyous and fruitful.

Welcome aboard!

Are you engaged on the RCIA programme?

Hi! I hope it is too. Yep, on a RCIA programme but finding it a little do. Getting instructions from a priest who's good friends with a very catholic family I've become friends with. Hoping that'll add some more theological meat to the bone!

Some advice, although doing a RCIA programme the priest who's been helping me says I shouldn't wait the whole 18 months and he can receive me at any time of my choosing. Is that right?
Reply 1032
Hi! I hope it is too. Yep, on a RCIA programme but finding it a little do. Getting instructions from a priest who's good friends with a very catholic family I've become friends with. Hoping that'll add some more theological meat to the bone!

Some advice, although doing a RCIA programme the priest who's been helping me says I shouldn't wait the whole 18 months and he can receive me at any time of my choosing. Is that right?

The priest will have a certain amount of autonomy since he knows how you are progressing more than any prescriptive time limits may imply.

Normally, adults are received into the Church at the Easter Vigil since the Liturgy is especially relevant for them. In our Parish we generally have 5 or 6 each year at this time. Others choose to be received during the Sunday Mass that they normally attend, along with the other regular attenders as they will have built up a community relationship with them.

A close family relative of mine was received into the Church during the Easter Vigil having spend very little time on the RCIA course. He has been attending Mass weekly for some years and was married to a devout Catholic who has been helping instruct him and giving witness. He really didn't need such intensive, formal preparation as he knew so much anyway...and remember, our journey of faith is life-long...we never stop learning.

I can recommend a couple of books that will help you if you like. The first is 'Catholicism for Dummies'. It's very comprehensive and full of information about all manner of things Catholic. The second is 'An Intelligent Person's Guide to Catholicism' by Alban McCoy. This will help you get to grips with the common questions about God, The Church and its doctrines and Christianity in general.

Maybe your Parish provides some extra challenging theological 'meat'...I know mine does by way of weekly meetings with specific themes for anyone who is interested in attending. Additionally, 'retreats' are another way of meeting with other Catholics who avidly enquire into their faith.
Reply 1033
In addition to what Yawn said, if you're at or near a university it may be worth getting in contact with the Catholic society there (if they have one) as they may hold talks and suchlike (I know Durham does, though I think here the talks are usually part of the RCIA).

And welcome.
Original post by yawn
The priest will have a certain amount of autonomy since he knows how you are progressing more than any prescriptive time limits may imply.

Just to let you know this priest friend of mine isn't my parish priest, he's actually the priest in a parish at the other end of the county (it's a big county though). But he's a very, very clever chap. Another priest who works in Rome (but is an Ozzie) is also going to be helping me hopefully)

Normally, adults are received into the Church at the Easter Vigil since the Liturgy is especially relevant for them. In our Parish we generally have 5 or 6 each year at this time. Others choose to be received during the Sunday Mass that they normally attend, along with the other regular attenders as they will have built up a community relationship with them.

So you can technically be recieved in Communion at any mass then? Also, is this normally done at the same time as Confirmation?

I can recommend a couple of books that will help you if you like. The first is 'Catholicism for Dummies'. It's very comprehensive and full of information about all manner of things Catholic. The second is 'An Intelligent Person's Guide to Catholicism' by Alban McCoy. This will help you get to grips with the common questions about God, The Church and its doctrines and Christianity in general.

Thank you so much. My friends who are helping me convert have given me a stack of books to get through (they own a Library :tongue: ) so I'll add them to the pile. I have been reading Chesterton and George Weigel as well.

Maybe your Parish provides some extra challenging theological 'meat'...I know mine does by way of weekly meetings with specific themes for anyone who is interested in attending. Additionally, 'retreats' are another way of meeting with other Catholics who avidly enquire into their faith.

Yep, hoping to go on a retreat with the Faith Movement in the summer.

Thanks again :h:

Original post by Aula
In addition to what Yawn said, if you're at or near a university it may be worth getting in contact with the Catholic society there (if they have one) as they may hold talks and suchlike (I know Durham does, though I think here the talks are usually part of the RCIA).

And welcome.

Alas, I am not yet at uni. Well be going in 8 - 9 months, God willing. Will be most certainly joining when I'm up there and will be erolling on a distance learning Catechismic course with the Maryvale Institute.
Original post by yawn
:h: Oh hi

Also just to let you know before I decided to move down the road of conversion I listened to a set of Catechismic tapes read by Fr. Hugh Thwaites. Terribly interesting man, if you google him you can download them and the other recordings he's done.
Reply 1036
Just to let you know this priest friend of mine isn't my parish priest, he's actually the priest in a parish at the other end of the county (it's a big county though). But he's a very, very clever chap. Another priest who works in Rome (but is an Ozzie) is also going to be helping me hopefully)

You seem to be in good hands, admam.

So you can technically be recieved in Communion at any mass then? Also, is this normally done at the same time as Confirmation?

Yes, you can...the choice should be yours imo. Since you are moving from the CofE, I assume you are already baptised. Baptism is a once for all sacrament and there is no doctrinal reason for repeating it. During your reception you will receive Holy Communion and be confirmed by the priest. This is the only circumstance that the minister for Confirmation will be a priest rather than a bishop.

Will be most certainly joining when I'm up there and will be erolling on a distance learning Catechismic course with the Maryvale Institute.

A very well respected Institute. They also do courses in apologetics...a very useful asset in these secular times!

Also just to let you know before I decided to move down the road of conversion I listened to a set of Catechismic tapes read by Fr. Hugh Thwaites. Terribly interesting man, if you google him you can download them and the other recordings he's done.

Thanks for that bit of info. I haven't heard of Fr. Hugh before so I will certainly chase it up. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by yawn
You seem to be in good hands, admam.

Oh I am. I'm so thankful I met these people.

Yes, you can...the choice should be yours imo. Since you are moving from the CofE, I assume you are already baptised. Baptism is a once for all sacrament and there is no doctrinal reason for repeating it. During your reception you will receive Holy Communion and be confirmed by the priest. This is the only circumstance that the minister for Confirmation will be a priest rather than a bishop.

Ahh righto. I knew that Baptism didn't need to be repeated and thanks for explaining FHC and Confirmation a bit more.

A very well respected Institute. They also do courses in apologetics...a very useful asset in these secular times!

Haha. Absolutely. The family who are helping me convert, The mother of the family helped draw up some of their courses.

Thanks for that bit of info. I haven't heard of Fr. Hugh before so I will certainly chase it up. :smile:

He's a fantastic man. Was still doing pilgrimages in his 80s. He's 92 or 93 now. Brilliant man. Was a slave of the Japanese in WWII
Hi, I am (and have been for quite some time) having a crisis of faith but in reverse to what most people have.

My family is RC but mum and dad has moved away from the church by the time I was born. Also, dad only wanted 2 children and I was the 3rd so the upshot was I was never baptised. Mum and dad didn't attend church at all when we were children so I was brought up outside the congregation but still very much with RC values.

I am now considering if I should return to the fold or not. Part of me thinks their is something missing in life that it would provide, but then another part of me thinks I just want to do it for the community aspect. It's been confusing the **** out of me for the last 3 years!
Reply 1039
Original post by Ethereal
Hi, I am (and have been for quite some time) having a crisis of faith but in reverse to what most people have.

My family is RC but mum and dad has moved away from the church by the time I was born. Also, dad only wanted 2 children and I was the 3rd so the upshot was I was never baptised. Mum and dad didn't attend church at all when we were children so I was brought up outside the congregation but still very much with RC values.

I am now considering if I should return to the fold or not. Part of me thinks their is something missing in life that it would provide, but then another part of me thinks I just want to do it for the community aspect. It's been confusing the **** out of me for the last 3 years!

Have you sought advice from your local Parish Priest? Sometimes, discussing such problems with someone who is very experienced in how we face turmoil in our lives can set our muddled thoughts out in a clear way that enables us to organise our thoughts and come to some sort of conclusion.

I would start at that point and work from there, if I were in your position. Three years is a long time to be in such confusion...it's time maybe that you took the bit between the teeth so to speak.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on, dear friend.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest