The Student Room Group

Why do girls generally HIGHLY sensitive when it comes to weight?

Scroll to see replies

Whilst some of it is nature, clearly some of it is also social, otherwise you wouldn't get "trends" in weight. I think girls focus on their appearances quite a lot and that why they're so sensitive about it. Also because people tend to make assumptions about your personality based on your weight ("fat people are lazy and have no discipline" etc etc) whereas they tend to do it less or not at all for things like height.
I used to be very very conscious of my weight, but now I'm really not at all. Thank god.
LOL, people like you make me laugh. What gives you the impression I am unhappy with the way I look? In no way am I blaming anyone else for the 'hard truth in the mirror?' Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that society has no role whatsoever in people's insecurities? Nature actually says women with baby fat, large hips and larger breasts are idolised, due to their increased sense of fertility. So I think you are the one that's wrong. Society DOES suggest women should be thin. Men also have society breathing down their necks, suggesting that women only want tall handsome RICH men....

You are truly deluded.
Reply 22
Original post by StressReliever
Is the OP asking why girls are generally insecure over issues like 'weight' or just another thread about fat girls? It seems to always escalate into the same old bull sh*t.

It's yet another thread bashing fat folk. I'm just waiting for the "I hate sitting next to fat people on the bus LOL".
Nature and culture both play a role in females being very sensative. But this doesn't mean that all larger people should feel embarassed or like they have to be a stick, because if they are happy that's all that matters. Not a random person on the internet telling them to get on a treadmill.
Original post by missderrie
Yes, that's the 'truth' but most girls I know want to be slim, pretty with long beautiful hair. What's BS about that? Do you even understand what I wrote? If all girls understood that those models aren't even real with an unattainable look, there would not be one insecure girl on this plannet. Media do portray that look to be a 'standard' otherwise there would be no such thing as supermodels. Calm down..

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but I would go further to say that it's not that celeb/model images are wholly unattainable for other women, but that the images we see are not even real. Yes, the model is very attractive in real life, but all the images in ads and magazines are manipulated. We do not even see the real image of the models. Comparing oneself to a digitally manipulated image is ridiculous and is very damaging to women. Many people don't even realise they are ogling images of beauty that don't exist. Not even the model herself has a waist so narrow, skin so smooth, hair so big and glossy, breasts so perky.

So back to your post:"If all girls understood that those models aren't even real with an unattainable look, there would not be one insecure girl on this planet" - great quote. Here lies the rub, people (men and women) don't always realise these images are false and they admire something that doesn't exist.

I am all for self improvement, fitness, healthy diet, beauty, hair, clothes etc but I strongly resent these images that misrepresent reality. Both men and women are subjected to this and it is very damaging indeed for those growing up with these images
Those studies claimed the most attractive body type was slim, low WHR with large breasts even though it made them appear 2 years older than slim, low WHR and small breasts.
Reply 25
It's only the larger girls who are sensitive about weight.
The drive to be 'thin' is a current trend. I cannot see how you can claim the drive to thinness is a natural urge. Go to a decent art gallery and look at the bodies of the naked women. Other than corpses, few are THIN. There are very few, if any artsworks of women as thin as current supermodels.

The bodies of women seem to be of varied shapes and sizes. Some are slender, small breasted and have larger bellies, some are meaty, some are curvy, some are very large, some are obese. I don't see any anorexics. What I find odd and striking is that there are no paintings of anorexic weight women with large breasts.

Ideals change over time. At some times large women were the height of beauty, sometimes flat chested women, sometimes big bottomed women, sometimes hourglass/full women, sometimes boyish slim figures, sometimes fit/toned/athletic, sometimes...'heroin chic'.

If thin was always in, why were these women painted as larger and rounded?

Look carefully at the bodies of these women. Various shapes and sizes at different times. Some even have rolls.

80s - fit, rounded and healthy. Large thighs, hips, bottom, breasts. Not thin.

90s heroin chic. Does this look healthy or attractive?

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Bakerzoid
Because women clearly have no self-discipline. Want to lose weight? Put down that god damn fork. You will only lose weight when you start eating less, that is the most effective way to lose weight other than exercise, which I feel is nowhere near as effective.

You just have to make sure that your diet is still nutritious and that you don't eat too little, that should be the most difficult part of dieting, not finding the willpower to go through with the diet or trying to lose weight without feeling hungry from time to time. What I would recommend doing is finding out how many calories somebody your age should be consuming and find ways of roughly sticking to this level of eating.

Also, don't give me this rubbish about women constantly being made to feel insecure, like men aren't made to feel insecure and are expected to be tall and good looking, something which they genuinely can't do anything about and which women attack men for complaining about, when its implications are also far greater. Look on the internet, there are actually men spending hundreds of hours of their lives pointlessly pursuing ways of increasing their height. To them, losing weight and gaining muscle is a walk in the park.

lol,this is hillarious; you should be a motivational speaker.

I'm not sensitive about my weight at all i'm just over 9.5 stone and normal bmi (according to wii fit :wink: ).

Also i think girls should only complain about their weight if they have some kind of hormone imbalance thing like pcos. Everyone else who likes to moan about their body should lose weight.
Original post by agolati
I mean, if you wanted to, you could lose weight you know.
If you wanted to, you can pay no attention to the nagging insecure thoughts and just accept who you are, no one REALLY wants someone that doesn't accept themselves.

title needs 'are' instead of 'do'

Yeah, you can lose weight, but if you were a normal weight anyway, how does that help you?

Weightloss doesn't solve anything. Just be healthy.

Why are girls insecure about their weight? Many, many reasons, some being:

- Airbrushed images of models whose BMIs are well under 17.5 but the ribs are smoothed over so they look healthy and thin. UK size 4-6 becomes a goal for the girls watching. (Yes I understand some people are naturally thin, but for the vast majority of adult people, size 4 is not normal or healthy)
- Unrealistic images of beauty
- Celebrity culture
- Males on TSR who praise sexy underweight females and repulse at the sight of a healthy woman who isn't a stick
-Some men who complain that their GF is too fat at size 10 and average height

many more reasons, you get the point.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by the_decider
fyi: only true 4 western society girls

No it isnt -.-
just like it has been said above in this same thread...a lot of it is down to the influence of the media, girls see these pictures and want to have what they see as the 'ideal' body when in reality it's nothing like what they see it to be and it's not really what it seems
Original post by the_decider
fyi: only true 4 western society girls

Doubt it.

Insecurities abound. An extreme example being the prevalence of eating disorders in non Western countries eg Japan, Singapore, parts of China.
This one: http://web.missouri.edu/~rouderj/3010/readings/Singh.pdf

Generally it appears larger breasts increased the attractiveness rating for all body types (as show by figure 2 on page 8). I understand that heavier bodies were overall rated less attractive as were those with high waist/hip ratios, but when comparing the same body type, larger breasts scored higher (albeit only slightly).
Reply 33
Self-conscious, and media.
Sorry, I thought it was acceptable since several other people have compared how women feel about their weight compared to how men feel about height.
Thanks for overlooking the rest of my post too :tongue:
Original post by Louzilla
It's yet another thread bashing fat folk. I'm just waiting for the "I hate sitting next to fat people on the bus LOL".

People a bit overweight = no problem.

I hate sitting next to morbidly obese people on the bus if they take up half my seat.

Original post by Louzilla
Nature and culture both play a role in females being very sensative. But this doesn't mean that all larger people should feel embarassed or like they have to be a stick, because if they are happy that's all that matters. Not a random person on the internet telling them to get on a treadmill.

Agree with you here. If a fat person likes being fat, then what's the problem (eg. Dawn French). None at all. It's everyone's right to be fat if they want to be. If they are morbidly obese enough to need two seats, then pay for two, :tongue:, but most fat people aren't that obese. No problem at all.

However, when fat people start complaining about their fatness, then the response is "put the fork down and get on a treadmill". If they want to stay fat, then good for them, I fully support their right to be fat and not get abuse for it. If they want to lose weight, then exercise/eating habits is where it's at, and it shouldn't be surprising when people tell them this.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
Don't you just hate it when you hear a woman bickering about how hard it is to lose weight.

News flash: It isn't, in fact it is piss easy. Someone who regularly goes to the gym can shed 10kg easily and put it back on in no time.

You get women saying how it took them 4 months to lose X or Y kg. Really? Do me a favour, love.
dude you're a legend!!
though i would disagree and say that the obese person in the thread you linked isn't quite obese, personal opinion haha. that thread is epic :P

+1 rep
Original post by agolati
I mean, if you wanted to, you could lose weight you know.
If you wanted to, you can pay no attention to the nagging insecure thoughts and just accept who you are, no one REALLY wants someone that doesn't accept themselves.

title needs 'are' instead of 'do'

Because all the fat/chubby ones know they look disgusting but prefer to hide from the truth so when you destroy their little bubble they get all pissy and whine about it like spoilt brats.
Reply 39
Original post by lightburns
People a bit overweight = no problem.
I hate sitting next to morbidly obese people on the bus if they take up half my seat.

Agree with you here. If a fat person likes being fat, then what's the problem (eg. Dawn French). None at all. It's everyone's right to be fat if they want to be. If they are morbidly obese enough to need two seats, then pay for two, :tongue:, but most fat people aren't that obese. No problem at all.

However, when fat people start complaining about their fatness, then the response is "put the fork down and get on a treadmill". If they want to stay fat, then good for them, I fully support their right to be fat and not get abuse for it. If they want to lose weight, then exercise/eating habits is where it's at, and it shouldn't be surprising when people tell them this.

What about the obese ones?
I agree with you. If someone starts complaining about their weight then they should get on a treadmill. I wasn't happy with myself and I'm currently losing weight, infact I'm not telling my friends because I want it to be a personal gain rather than trying to be accepted by certain friends.
As for the bus thing - Sit on the inside if you hate it that much. x)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending