The Student Room Group

5/3/1 attempt no.2

Scroll to see replies

lol looks like your the opposite to me re favourite lifts.

Yep I pretty much put bench and OHP on 531 because they never increase for me anyway so may as well have them on a slow programme.

As for squats and DL..... thats another story
Reply 61
Original post by redbuthotter
lol looks like your the opposite to me re favourite lifts.

Yep I pretty much put bench and OHP on 531 because they never increase for me anyway so may as well have them on a slow programme.

As for squats and DL..... thats another story

Yeh I was surprised you were doing 5/3/1 for bench and ohp and not the other way round. I've generally heard that its not so good for upper body lifts.

Do you reckon benching 3x5 twice a week will work?
Depends on the intensity and % of 1rm and how you progress, iirc you made good progress on texas method.... thats highly recommended.

What bad things have you heard about 531 for upper lifts?

Original post by u4m1r
Yeh I was surprised you were doing 5/3/1 for bench and ohp and not the other way round. I've generally heard that its not so good for upper body lifts.

Do you reckon benching 3x5 twice a week will work?
For most people, pressing improves with more volume. 5/3/1 method is obviously not that bad for deadlifts cos most people only deadlift once a week anyway.
Yeah, pressing definitely improves with volume. See: Metal Militia, Doug Hepbourn routine, olympic lifters from ye olde days who still pressed, Koklyaev etc.

The same isn't true about deadlifts because deadlifts take an awful lot more to recover from than pressing.
Reply 65
Bench

40kg x 5
60kg x 5
90kg x 3
100kg x 2
120kg x 1
130kg x 1
140kg x fail
130kg x 1

Clean + press

80kg x 5
90kg x 3
100kg x 1 - Easy
105kg x fail lots of time (failed clean)
102.5kg almost (failed clean)

Would've had 105 if fresh.

Shrugs 170 x 3 x 20
Tricep pushdowns
3 sets of 20 on shrugs? How strict/are they done?
Reply 67
Original post by redbuthotter
3 sets of 20 on shrugs? How strict/are they done?

Not strict at all. Power shrugs.
Reply 68
This is what my training will look like from now on,

Monday - Bench 5x5, upper back
Wednesday - 5/3/1 deadlift + assistance
Friday - Bench, work up to top set of 1-5, shoulders/chest/tricep work
Saturday - 5/3/1 squats + assistance

I'm going back to what I was doing on the Texas method for bench. Starting this Monday, with 100kg for 5x5.
Very Nice, tempted to follow same template but for opposite lifts.
Unlucky with the benching pal; its clear that the texas method worked best for you for pressing. Don't let it bother you and you'll be smashing past it in no time :wink:
I'm sure you would have made 105 c+p if you didn't need to set the weight down gently each time you did them :smile:.

Join a proper gym :p:
I'm thinking of doing a similar to thing to what you are doing now. Keeping 5/3/1 for deads and squats as its working well for them atm, but doing 2 days for bench with more volume. Probably 5x5 one day, then maybe work up to a top set of 3 or 5 the other day.
Reply 74
Nice workout today,

20/02/2011

Power Cleans

60kg x 3
80kg x 3
90kg x 2
90kg x 1
90kg x 1
90kg x 1
90kg x 1 + press - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMHPbW_7p3U
100kg x 1 + press - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op4DPIn_BKo
105kg clean + failed press - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQG3l5EEFlA - 2nd attempt at press was dodgy!

I did a lot of cleans while waiting for the squat rack to empty, the guys were taking the piss. There was two of them, and they were benching in the squat rack, 4 sets of flat, 4 incline and 4 decline each. Took one hour and they were hogging all the weight even though they weren't benching over 70kg.

Squats

Bar x 8
60kg x 5

90kg x 5
110kg x 5
125kg x 7 - Not as good as last time, but I got a video this time and all my reps were very deep so I was happy :yy: I can't upload the video though because my friends phone isn't able to send it for some reason :nn:

Pause squats

90kg x 10
80kg x 10
60kg x 10

These were killers.

Hanging leg raises.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
I also did some hang cleans but couldn't even do 90kg. I thought they were supposed to be easier than power cleans? And I need to learn to rack the bar instead of just holding it. Need to work on wrist flexibility.
Original post by u4m1r
I also did some hang cleans but couldn't even do 90kg. I thought they were supposed to be easier than power cleans? And I need to learn to rack the bar instead of just holding it. Need to work on wrist flexibility.

Have you tried pointing your elbows when you're about to rack it?
Reply 77
Original post by u4m1r
This is what my training will look like from now on,

Monday - Bench 5x5, upper back
Wednesday - 5/3/1 deadlift + assistance
Friday - Bench, work up to top set of 1-5, shoulders/chest/tricep work
Saturday - 5/3/1 squats + assistance

I'm going back to what I was doing on the Texas method for bench. Starting this Monday, with 100kg for 5x5.

Am I right in thinking that 5x5 gives quicker gains than 5/3/1?

I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and my bench & ohp are pretty much at their max so feel that 5/3/1 is fine for them. However, I've probably got more than 5kg/per month gain in me for squat and deadlift, for the first 2-3 months anyway. Would you recommend doing a similar routine to yours, but the other way round? Bear in mind that I don't want to squat & deadlift > once/week as I play a lot of football + my lower back is ****!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
Bench

Bar x 5
70kg x 5
90kg x 5

102.5kg x 5
102.5kg x 5
102.5kg x 5
102.5kg x 5
102.5kg x 5

Nice and easy. Aim is to get back to 115kg for 5x5 without stalling once.

Bent Rows

50kg x 10
90kg x 10
110kg x 8
120kg x 5
90kg x 12

First time I've gone proper heavy on these and my lats have never felt so good!

Pulldowns
Facepulls
Reply 79
Original post by AdaD
Am I right in thinking that 5x5 gives quicker gains than 5/3/1?

I'm currently doing 5/3/1 and my bench & ohp are pretty much at their max so feel that 5/3/1 is fine for them. However, I've probably got more than 5kg/per month gain in me for squat and deadlift, for the first 2-3 months anyway. Would you recommend doing a similar routine to yours, but the other way round? Bear in mind that I don't want to squat & deadlift > once/week as I play a lot of football + my lower back is ****!

Yeah 5x5 is quicker progress than 5/3/1. You will get big gains on your squat, but you have to be doing it atleast 2 times a week I think if you want to take full advantage of the quick gains.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest