The Student Room Group

Queen Mary, Bristol or King's College?

I've only got an offer from one of these so far so I may never have to make this choice BUT...

Queen Mary scores higher in the league tables this year than both King's and Bristol but in general conversation, people tend regard King's and Bristol as higher. Bristol is a beautiful city and King's is in a much nicer part of London, but living in the East end doesn't worry me..

I would like to go to the best university I can, and I know there is an element of subjectivity but it seems to me that Queen Mary is moving up the ranks (apparently next year they are even going to use A*AA offers as standard and include the LNAT - may be bs, though) and the other two are moving down somewhat, with Bristol giving a lot of AAB offers (albeit to internationals) and King's moving down the ranks in the league tables.

So IF I got into all three, or even two of these unis, I wouldn't know which to pick! What do people on here think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
KCL

then Bristol.
Reply 2
Personally KCL.
Reply 3
You seem to be putting quite a lot of weight on league tables. While this isn't entirely meaningless (somewhere consistently ranked in the top 20 is going to be better than somewhere consistently ranked in positions 100-120), it's not the only thing to go on. Don't QMUL often give out points offers? Aren't they in a less attractive part of London? They don't have the 'reputation' that KCL and Bristol have either, I don't think. If you're really bothered about prestige, these are all things to bear in mind.

The other thing is that prestige should not decide everything. Do you prefer the area KCL's in to the area QMUL is in? Would you rather live in a smaller or bigger city? How about the composition of the course? It'd probably be better to be in London career-wise as you'd have the biggest internships and the like on your doorstep (correct me if I'm wrong here, I know very little about law) but can you afford the increased cost of London, and are you bothered about getting into more debt than if you went to Bristol? How about the social life at the different unis, or the accomodation?

I'd go with KCL personally. :smile:
Original post by tehforum
KCL

then Bristol.

Original post by mc13177
Personally KCL.

Any reasons why?

My parents think QM, my dad based on league tables and the fact the East End is cheaper, my mum because London is nearer to home (aw) and she thinks a campus uni will be good.

Form tutor says King's, he went there, didn't even like it but thinks for Law it's the best. (He also thinks it's above UCL for Law so clearly not too accurate).

Careers advisor says Bristol because he thinks it's generally considered the best uni overall.
King's because that's where all the major law firms are based and because of the proximity, you could score internships easier.
Original post by kerily
You seem to be putting quite a lot of weight on league tables. While this isn't entirely meaningless (somewhere consistently ranked in the top 20 is going to be better than somewhere consistently ranked in positions 100-120), it's not the only thing to go on. Don't QMUL often give out points offers? Aren't they in a less attractive part of London? They don't have the 'reputation' that KCL and Bristol have either, I don't think. If you're really bothered about prestige, these are all things to bear in mind.

The other thing is that prestige should not decide everything. Do you prefer the area KCL's in to the area QMUL is in? Would you rather live in a smaller or bigger city? How about the composition of the course? It'd probably be better to be in London career-wise as you'd have the biggest internships and the like on your doorstep (correct me if I'm wrong here, I know very little about law) but can you afford the increased cost of London, and are you bothered about getting into more debt than if you went to Bristol? How about the social life at the different unis, or the accomodation?

I'd go with KCL personally. :smile:

I have thought about these but the problem is I like London and Bristol for totally different reasons. I've only to been to Bristol once though, and I've been to London countless times. I love the idea of London life - an abundance of bars and clubs to suit whatever mood you're in, trolling Camden market for cheap finds, charity shops where you can find vintage designer, Oxford Street whenever I get the itch for new clothes, coffee at Covent Garden, but this is a total romanticised fantasy I have in my head and the shine would wear off within weeks I'm sure. All I can say about Bristol is I really liked it, a disadvantage is that it is about 4 hours from my home so if I feel a bit homesick, I can't really just hop on a train like I can from London (London's only an hour and a half away).

And although King's is in a nicer location, Queen Mary would be cheaper BUT I'm not too bothered about the extra Β£30 a week it would cost as I'll be living off borrowed money anyway. Location wise King's is a walk away from the parts of London I'd want to hang out in but Queen Mary is only a short tube ride away. Also, at Queen Mary I'd be able to roll out of bed and into a lecture whereas with King's and Bristol it would be a short commute. But again, the cons aren't really a problem for me with any of these, which is why I seem to be falling back on the opinion of league tables!
KCL
then Bristol

then QM...

in terms of prestige/graduate prospects KCL will definitely put you in the best position...bristol would too.

i cant see why you'd pick QM over either of 'em :/
Reply 8
1. KCL
2. Bristol
3. QMUL

With the first two, both are regarded as being in the same 'tier' for Law and whilst I think that Bristol may have the edge over KCL overall, I think that KCL has a better Law School. Couple this with the fact that you love the idea of London and that you would feel too far away from home at Bristol, then KCL seems the best choice for you.

However, if you only get an offer from QMUL then do not feel disappointed. It is indeed an up and coming Law School. However, the other two are better.
Original post by Cast.Iron
1. KCL
2. Bristol
3. QMUL

With the first two, both are regarded as being in the same 'tier' for Law and whilst I think that Bristol may have the edge over KCL overall, I think that KCL has a better Law School. Couple this with the fact that you love the idea of London and that you would feel too far away from home at Bristol, then KCL seems the best choice for you.

However, if you only get an offer from QMUL then do not feel disappointed. It is indeed an up and coming Law School. However, the other two are better.

:ditto:
1. KCL
2. Bristol
3. QMUL

I'll definitely be happy no matter which way the cookie crumbles - especially with the amount of scaremongering my careers tutor gave us about how it is very possible that a lot of us will get no offers, I almost wish I'd gambled a bit more with my choices now though! The only thing that just keeps niggling at my brain is that league tables are there for a reason - to help you decide on choices, and collectively QM does do better. Although I am getting swayed a lot by general opinion... but then I just keep thinking, how do I know these people are right? And I am back to square one.
Reply 11
Original post by jimmyatemyworld
I'll definitely be happy no matter which way the cookie crumbles - especially with the amount of scaremongering my careers tutor gave us about how it is very possible that a lot of us will get no offers, I almost wish I'd gambled a bit more with my choices now though! The only thing that just keeps niggling at my brain is that league tables are there for a reason - to help you decide on choices, and collectively QM does do better. Although I am getting swayed a lot by general opinion... but then I just keep thinking, how do I know these people are right? And I am back to square one.

Have you visited the universities in question? League tables change year on year... Good luck! :smile:

The thing with league tables is that they are not always reliable. As a rule, those universities that are consistently at the top of the tables are safe bets. However, QM is a fairly new kid on the top of the league table block and their newly found 'reputation' may be subject to change in the next few league tables. Indeed, Lancaster University is ranked 6th in the country overall by the Guardian but we know that it would be fallacy to say that employers prefer Lancaster to some of the universities which are deemed worse by the Guardian. Indeed, my brother went to Lancaster and told me that their place as 6th is most likely down to the amount of money they put into facilities that year etc.

What it boils down to, especially in Law, is which universities emplopyers rate highly, not the newspapers. Whilst it may be true that QMUL has some excellent teaching and research done by their Law Faculty, it counts for little if top employers do not recognise it as much as a similar standard of research and training at a more traditionally consistent university such as KCL or Bristol.

It is very easy to be misled by the league tables and they should always, always be taken with a pinch of salt. My advice to you if you are really unsure is look around the websites of top firms and see where their associates and partners studied. I am almost certain that you will find more KCL and Bristol graduates than QM ones.
The thing with league tables is that they are not always reliable. As a rule, those universities that are consistently at the top of the tables are safe bets. However, QM is a fairly new kid on the top of the league table block and their newly found 'reputation' may be subject to change in the next few league tables. Indeed, Lancaster University is ranked 6th in the country overall by the Guardian but we know that it would be fallacy to say that employers prefer Lancaster to some of the universities which are deemed worse by the Guardian. Indeed, my brother went to Lancaster and told me that their place as 6th is most likely down to the amount of money they put into facilities that year etc.

What it boils down to, especially in Law, is which universities emplopyers rate highly, not the newspapers. Whilst it may be true that QMUL has some excellent teaching and research done by their Law Faculty, it counts for little if top employers do not recognise it as much as a similar standard of research and training at a more traditionally consistent university such as KCL or Bristol.

It is very easy to be misled by the league tables and they should always, always be taken with a pinch of salt. My advice to you if you are really unsure is look around the websites of top firms and see where their associates and partners studied. I am almost certain that you will find more KCL and Bristol graduates than QM ones.

True, I know Queen Mary have a specific link with Allen and Overy which is quite amazing in my opinion as one of the Magic Circle! But, I think if the option is open to me I would chose Bristol. I think. Or maybe King's haha. Hmm. Well at least I know I definitely won't be chosing SOAS. Also, with the Guardian, it's only rated on student satisfaction alone so I've kind of being ignoring that table..I'm well aware QM is not number 3 in the country!
Reply 14
True, I know Queen Mary have a specific link with Allen and Overy which is quite amazing in my opinion as one of the Magic Circle! But, I think if the option is open to me I would chose Bristol. I think. Or maybe King's haha. Hmm. Well at least I know I definitely won't be chosing SOAS. Also, with the Guardian, it's only rated on student satisfaction alone so I've kind of being ignoring that table..I'm well aware QM is not number 3 in the country!

I'd just say don't look at the tables. They're so deceptive, and don't really reflect things such as links with legal firms etc.

KCL is the best choice for employment links, I can tell you this first hand. Firstly the law society is sponsored by; Allen and Overy, Clifford Chance, Freshfields, Herbert Smith, Linklaters and Pinsent Masons among others.

Also our law fair was brilliant and contained many many more firms looking for students. There's also the pupillage fair at Lincoln's Inn I believe - which is a great opportunity for aspiring Barristers to make links. (Just to note this is a once a year thing, and most Chambers dont individually go to universities - so this is the best way to make Chamber contacts and find out about being a barrister. So outside of London it's a lost opportunity unless you're willing to travel.)

In general, I think KCL is better, in terms of prestige, location and the general experience is very good.

But ultimately its your decision.
(edited 13 years ago)
Disagree with most of what has been said above. I think it's totally your decision. It terms of employment prospects, there's no difference between the three of them - trust me. I was at QM, girlfriend was at KCL - I have a good idea especially of these two universities. Having actually gone through the application process for law firms and other organisations, and having actually gotten a training contract, I have a good idea what they look for and they don't value the university you go to particularly as long as it's good and you have a minimum of AAB/AAA at A-level.

So it's totally your decision - there won't be any difference in quality between the law courses at the three universities you mentioned. However, to make a few suggestions - if you want to study in London, go for KCL or QM, if not, go for Bristol. London is huge, full of all different people, but Bristol does a have reputation as a student city, and you could choose to still work there later on, so you do get more of a change of scenery. If you decide on London, QM probably will be cheaper if money is a bigger concern, and it's a campus uni - so you get the best of both worlds being in London as well as everything being very convenient and close. The area is better than it seems at first, there are lots of supermarkets and good restaurants nearby but central is on your doorstep. On the other hand, KCL is in a more prestigious and aesthetic area - the Royal Courts of Justice are a 2 minute walk from the uni. The Thames is next to the uni; the Waterfront bar overlooks it, and Tutus is a pretty decent student club above it. The law school is moving next door (away from its quite frankly not particularly previously aesthetic buildings) to Somerset House, so you'll be housed in a really beautiful building for three years too. However, students usually do have to commute to uni more and tend to live either in East or South London for their second and third years.
I personally would put Bristol, but then Bristol's probably going to be my first choice anyway so I'm biased. :smile:

Bristol and King's I would say are more prestigious than Queen Mary; they're both Russell Group and tend to be higher in the League Tables. But if you prefer the course and location of Queen Mary then I'd put it down anyway because it's still a good place to go and prestige is only one factor to look at when it comes to choosing a uni.

If I were you I'd visit them again and see whether any of them really click for you and if you feel at home in any of them. Look at the courses and see which one is the most suited to you and go by that. They're all good; it's not like you're picking between a fantastic university and a terrible one.
Reply 17
KCL's law school is having some financial problems--take that fwiw. I'd go for Bristol in your situation.
Reply 18
Original post by yahyahyahs
King's because that's where all the major law firms are based and because of the proximity, you could score internships easier.

Unfortunately I can guarantee you this kind of proximity would make no difference as to whether you score legal vacation schemes and internships. Law firms are interested in good candidates who have the right skills to generate money for them - they don't really give a hoot how far or close you studied to the firm. They can have links in terms of sponsorship of university societies, but at the end of the day this still doesn't get you in. Unless you're physically interviewed by someone you've got to know and developed a good relationship with (very unlikely), the fact that a law firm might be close to KCL and even engage in activities with it's students makes little difference. In addition, law firms in London regularly interact with and sponsor societies in universities very far away from London.

And to give a different response to most people I'd say Bristol - fun city, cheaper, fantastic reputation. KCL is a nice option too though if you can afford it. Would probably decline QMUL if you have offers from the other two.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by adam0311
KCL's law school is having some financial problems--take that fwiw. I'd go for Bristol in your situation.

Where did you pluck that from? You're only just applying to university now, how could you know whether a law school is having financial problems? I don't think they are... there's nothing to suggest it. The law school are moving into Somerset House; that's not really a cheap feat.

Quick Reply

Latest