The Student Room Group

Multiple regression and likert scales. HELP!

Hello all :smile:

I am really rubbish at stats, so now in my 3rd year project I am totally lost.

I was told I need to do multiple regression in SPSS, as my questionnaires were measured with likert scales.

So, I had 30 questions about how a person feels about sports. And 3 questions about how many times they did sports in childhood, adolescence and now (also in likert scales).

So, as I understand, the independent variable is those 30 questions, but in multiple regression I can have only one dependent variable, so how should I put this data of sports done at different parts of ones life?

Any comments will be appreciated :smile:

Cheers
I think you're getting things the wrong way round. Just to clarify, you mean those 30 questions about how a person feels about sport should predict how many times they did sport at 3 points in time?

If so, then those 30 questions should act as dependent variables (or predictor variables to name them correctly) with the amount they did sport being the independent variable (or outcome variable).

As far as I know, MR only allows for one outcome variable, so you may have to just make three seperate models. I'm not sure how your type I error would look though. I assume there are corrections you can make to compensate for this.
Reply 2
Hey,

thanks for a quick reply :smile: now that i think about it i guess you are right. but probably i did nto make it clear, the hypothesis is: factors causing drop out of sports at university. so the different times of life were measured to find out whether people really drop out of sports after college. and then those 30 questions are measuring factors why they drop out of sports.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply