The Student Room Group

BBC3 - Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands

Scroll to see replies

I didn't like the way that the one who had to do all the paperwork was moaning - you can't save the world in your first week!! It was quite good though, will be watching the rest of the series!
Reply 281
Original post by dmz
he seems a little bent tbh :tongue:, felt bad a little for the Cambridge girl

Yup, do you think Adam is checking katie (i think that's her name)

Sad to admit, but I had to look "checking" up on Urban Dictionary :colondollar: Checking out right? o.0 Well yeah, the end scene was pretty much spelling it out lol. Adam and Susie (do you mean her? :s-smilie:) are gonna end up together...not long term obv.
Reply 282
I like how the fat guy was eating Ben&Jerrys.
Reply 283
Original post by ickelLorns
I didn't like the way that the one who had to do all the paperwork was moaning - you can't save the world in your first week!! It was quite good though, will be watching the rest of the series!

I'm surprised he doesn't know how much paperwork there is when he come from a family of doctor. He also seems like a "know it all".
I'm a bit concerned that a new F1, having done finals 6 months ago max, doesn;'t know what addison's disease is :s-smilie:
Reply 285
Original post by gozatron
John seems like the most likeable of the bunch. I do love how Susie says "Doctor" :sexface:

She sounds like Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter.
Reply 286
Lol at the fat guy running when he gets bleeped.
Reply 287
Original post by Altrozero
She sounds like Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter.

AHAHAAA omg i was trying to figure out who says it like that! Cheerio o.0
Reply 288
Original post by SAK.A
I like how the fat guy was eating Ben&Jerrys.

Ehehee I had to chuckle at that :tongue:
Original post by Carpediemxx
I'm a bit concerned that a new F1, having done finals 6 months ago max, doesn;'t know what addison's disease is :s-smilie:

agreed, I would've thought that he would've at least looked over the stuff for that particular specialty beforehand....

then again, I'm a wannabe student and so can't really say I know what its like to be an F1
Reply 290
The fat guy is quality, bless 'im.
Original post by Daveo
Max Pemberton's book is fantastic and provides a different insight but you should note that being a junior doc is very different today and the programme was pretty realistic.

:biggrin: That's good, I liked to see them having a social life...
Original post by infernalcradle
agreed, I would've thought that he would've at least looked over the stuff for that particular specialty beforehand....

then again, I'm a wannabe student and so can't really say I know what its like to be an F1

In fairness, addisons on a respiratory ward for me wouldnt be at the forefront of my revision, but even so, its pretty bread and butter for general medicine!

My verdict on the show is that it suprised me. I found it quite realistic ( as far as something like this can be) and enjoyable to watch. I dont think it has any negative sway on junior doctors (yet) perhaps more so the other way. Watching it also filled me with quite a bit of anticipation for the very near future! and encouraged me to do some work haha
Reply 293
Original post by infernalcradle

He's a respiratory F1, that was an endocrine question. Not really relevant though because at that point he will have learned it once. I didn't warm to Adam at all, but I have frozen like that before when i've been asked a question even when I knew the answer.

And that thing about it first being described in relation to TB? I was in the mess with five doctors and none of them knew that. It is easy to be an armchair critic (not just aimed at infernalcradle) but sometimes you do get brain freeze.
Reply 294
Original post by Sarky
He's a respiratory F1, that was an endocrine question. Not really relevant though because at that point he will have learned it once. I didn't warm to Adam at all, but I have frozen like that before when i've been asked a question even when I knew the answer.

And that thing about it first being described in relation to TB? I was in the mess with five doctors and none of them knew that. It is easy to be an armchair critic (not just aimed at infernalcradle) but sometimes you do get brain freeze.

It wasn't the TB thing that I was gibing at.
Of course it's easy to be an armchair critic. Is that not partly what programmes like this are for? And of course you get brain freeze, but that doesn't change the fact that you could be perceived as coming across as a bit of a dope when it happens.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 295
The fact it's edited means that I bet he answered possibly hundreds of questions correctly, but the single one he froze on they put up to display him as this "character" whom they want to sell to the audience.
I found Suzi very personable, Adam... difficult to warm to. 'Not your typical doctor' :rofl:
Original post by Sarky

And that thing about it first being described in relation to TB?

I don't have much of a clue what tv prog this was on but if you are saying addisons sec to TB its well known because TB can invade adrenals.
Also sepsis/meningitis related addisons where the adrenals basically infarct.

Seems a lot of chat on doctors.net about this, and not so much the quality of the doctors on this show but something to do with the palace they live in.
Being an F1 was hard as hell (for the first few months). Aside from the fantastic social life I sure as hell would never go back to it!
Original post by Renal
Worldwide & Tower Hamlets, yes.

For the record, it ****ing stinks.

whereas non-TB empyema smells nice?

Am still on prophylactic antibiotics having chest drained a 1.4litre Group A Strep empyema last week.
Tres smelly
Hmm well i watched it with friends, we just joked the media wouldn't dare do a documentary on newly qualified nurses as it'd be percieved as boring compared to that of a f1. Then when we saw most of adam's (?) time was doing paperwork we took that back slightly lol. He was a bit of a dick though, but seemed to get on well with patients and staff which would make his life easier!

I think they must have some balls to want to be filmed tho, i'd hate the idea of being filmed aswell as spending my first few months getting to grips with the job- its stressful enough as it is. Obviously some of the things they did i'd question and have handled differently but its part of learning on the job and as mentioned earlier its easier to observe than be there. One of the female doctors (she looks about 16!) handled discussing alcohol intake with a patient slightly negatively...yes its nice to have alcohol intake at zero, but i would have first praised the patient for cutting down their intake..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending