The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Made in the USA
What the hell does "been to America" mean? Can you please make a habit of saying what state you visited? ..

When I moved to south Florida from the northeast I didn't ever recognize any of the food. I had never seen a plantain in my entire life and had never eaten rice and beans, never heard of flan, and never in my life heard of a Tres leches cake.

This is an awful argument. The food in southern France is completely different to the food in, say, Normandy. And people in Madrid may have never heard Catalan from Barcelona or Basque language. And a West German may have never seen a Trabant while an East German still owns it.
Just because a country is diverse, it doesn't make it a different culture or nation.

Besides, why would anyone have to say the state to which they've been, if they've been to America? Lots of countries are divided into states. Look at Russia, almost twice the size of America, stretches on 2 continents, and you don't hear any traveler stating "I've been to Krasnoyarsk oblast."

Reply 121
History is just one of many reasons to travel. I personally think a city like new york has more to do in terms of culture (Broadway, comedy, museums, exotic cuisine from all over the world) than a sh1thole like athens, greece. Sure, they've got the Acropolis, but the rest of it is a complete armpit.

For someone who clearly enjoys living in the now and isn't interested in history (probably because America doesn't really have one) Athens may appear boring. But the point is it has a different kind of culture to the one you're talking about (modern stuff and food) Athens is full of history dating back thousands of years, the Greeks were one of the first real civilisations in the world, they founded and discovered so many things that lead us to where we are today. Hippocrates, the original basically founder of medicine, was Greek, he was the ultimate doctor, Doctors in the UK still swear an oath named after him. How can you call a place that is one of the few remaining relics of such a fantastic period of history a ****hole? Seriously are you that uneducated to not be able to appreciate how amazing that is? Greece was also the founding of the theatre, the first ever paid for plays were in Greece and current acting methods can be dated back to Greek times. So that Broadway and comedy that you so love to go to, may not be what it is today without the Greeks. Mathematics mostly seems to date back to the greeks, Pythagoras, the founder of Pythagoras's Theorem was a greek genius, and so many engineering and mechanical calculations rely on his method. Archimedes, greek mathematician, Aristotle, greek philosopher, Plato, greek philosopher and mathematician, Alexander the Great, one of the greatest military geniusus of all time, and Homer, an epic poet who is still published today. Next time please think twice about insulting all this amazing history. I know it's hard to appreciate when your own country has barely existed in comparison to Europe's history, but your so called culture just pales in comparison to the fact that not only can most European major cities offer things equal to most American cities, but we also have thousands of years of history too. I mean, my college is older than your entire country. How great does that make America sound now?

I forgot about democracy, maps, thermometers, cranes (which build those skyscrapers Americas so fond of), hundreds of major construction materials, planning permission, bathrooms, steam power, the first ever alarm clock, vending machine and odometer (the distance measurer found in cars) were invented by the Greeks. Seriously, worship Greece, without them and the Romans we'd all be screwed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by No Man
Or maybe they need bigger cars for their fatter bodies.

If you like cars, it completely sucks to live in europe. A 3 series BMW for the price of a 7 series? That just sucks, and resorting to calling americans fat (which is stupid because your country is damn neat as fat) doesn't change anything

Original post by No Man
So you're moaning about the guy not specifying the state, even though most Americans can't distinguish between British and English?

There is a far bigger difference culturally between a Texan and a Californian than there is a difference between someone who is Welsh or English. I know because I've been to England and Wales and I've been to Texas and California.

Original post by No Man
Detroit, St Louis and Cleveland (which are like most American cities) are much bigger sh1tholes then Athens.

This is true, Detroit is mess and one of the world's worst cities. Still, the city of Athens is the capital of Greece, so I expected more.
Original post by Shadowplay
This is an awful argument. The food in southern France is completely different to the food in, say, Normandy. And people in Madrid may have never heard Catalan from Barcelona or Basque language. And a West German may have never seen a Trabant while an East German still owns it.
Just because a country is diverse, it doesn't make it a different culture or nation.

You are inadvertently proving my point. Think about how huge the differences are between a west german and an east german and then imagine a country that is 25 times larger than germany. That's how big the US is.

Original post by Shadowplay
Besides, why would anyone have to say the state to which they've been, if they've been to America? Lots of countries are divided into states. Look at Russia, almost twice the size of America, stretches on 2 continents, and you don't hear any traveler stating "I've been to Krasnoyarsk oblast."

If travelers visit very large countries, they should say things like "I've been to Krasnoyarsk oblast."

"Been to America" should be a phrase banned from TSR. You should say "I've been to New York" or "I've been to California"

The country is too diverse to be generalized about the way British people do and not understanding the difference between states makes you sound incredibly stupid. You people are saying Americans are not worldly or knowledgeable about what goes on outside of our borders and then you make the most ridiculous generalizations about the US. I'm not going to sit here and listen to you pretend that states that are 3000 miles apart are the same.

And given the fact that American states arguably exercise greater sovereignty from Washington than EU countries do from Brussels, I think my "been to Europe" analogy is perfect.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by emilymay
For someone who clearly enjoys living in the now and isn't interested in history (probably because America doesn't really have one) Athens may appear boring. But the point is it has a different kind of culture to the one you're talking about (modern stuff and food) Athens is full of history dating back thousands of years, the Greeks were one of the first real civilisations in the world, they founded and discovered so many things that lead us to where we are today. Hippocrates, the original basically founder of medicine, was Greek, he was the ultimate doctor, Doctors in the UK still swear an oath named after him. How can you call a place that is one of the few remaining relics of such a fantastic period of history a ****hole? Seriously are you that uneducated to not be able to appreciate how amazing that is? Greece was also the founding of the theatre, the first ever paid for plays were in Greece and current acting methods can be dated back to Greek times. So that Broadway and comedy that you so love to go to, may not be what it is today without the Greeks. Mathematics mostly seems to date back to the greeks, Pythagoras, the founder of Pythagoras's Theorem was a greek genius, and so many engineering and mechanical calculations rely on his method. Archimedes, greek mathematician, Aristotle, greek philosopher, Plato, greek philosopher and mathematician, Alexander the Great, one of the greatest military geniusus of all time, and Homer, an epic poet who is still published today. Next time please think twice about insulting all this amazing history. I know it's hard to appreciate when your own country has barely existed in comparison to Europe's history, but your so called culture just pales in comparison to the fact that not only can most European major cities offer things equal to most American cities, but we also have thousands of years of history too. I mean, my college is older than your entire country. How great does that make America sound now?

I forgot about democracy, maps, thermometers, cranes (which build those skyscrapers Americas so fond of), hundreds of major construction materials, planning permission, bathrooms, steam power, the first ever alarm clock, vending machine and odometer (the distance measurer found in cars) were invented by the Greeks. Seriously, worship Greece, without them and the Romans we'd all be screwed.

I'm a greek american. I have heard from my relatives and read all about the contributions to western civilization greeks have made.

This still doesn't change the fact that, here and now, it's a filthy, increasingly crime ridden, polluted, traffic choked, mess of a city.

I think Athens is one of the worst European capitals. Yes, the Acropolis is once a lifetime experience, but after that there isn't much in the city despite it being on the site of some interesting things happening thousands of years ago.
Original post by Mujeriego
I can't believe you just called one of the most historic and cultural cities in the world a "sh1thole".

:nothing:

Well it does have some redeeming qualities. I love the stray cats and dogs that are everywhere
You're not making yourself look any smarter by insulting, you know.

/thread
Sales tax is like 6 percent. My argument stands. Put some options on a UK 3 series and it will cost USA 7 series money. Use www.xe.com if you need help converting the currencies.

Try to park one of those "truck" you call car in Paris and you will understand why we have smaller car. You should also look at the fuel consumption of a European car and an American car (fuel is way more expensive in Europe than in the US).

You know everything is more expensive in Europe than in the US IPod, Computer, TV, car, bike etc... In your logic it means European are poorer ? We call it the 1$:1€ change. In my mind it means that European are able to pay more for the same stuff.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm a greek american. I have heard from my relatives and read all about the contributions to western civilization greeks have made.

This still doesn't change the fact that, here and now, it's a filthy, increasingly crime ridden, polluted, traffic choked, mess of a city.

I think Athens is one of the worst European capitals. Yes, the Acropolis is once a lifetime experience, but after that there isn't much in the city despite it being on the site of some interesting things happening thousands of years ago.

Crime in Athens is a tiny fraction of what it is in most (if not all) US cities. It's amazing that an American would even bring up crime in a discussion about Europe.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 130
If you like cars, it completely sucks to live in europe. A 3 series BMW for the price of a 7 series? That just sucks, and resorting to calling americans fat (which is stupid because your country is damn neat as fat) doesn't change anything

They still have a hard time understanding facetious humour though. :rolleyes:

There is a far bigger difference culturally between a Texan and a Californian than there is a difference between someone who is Welsh or English. I know because I've been to England and Wales and I've been to Texas and California.

Most Americans probably don't know what Wales is.
They'll probably resort to calling it England after going there, so complaining about the people who don't refer to the state when they've 'been to America' is hypocritical.
(edited 13 years ago)
I didn't say they were poorly built, I just made the point that they are so unbelievable expensive that no one can afford to buy a car that's bigger than a shoe. In the UK, a modestly equipped BMW 3 series costs the same as a 7-series BMW does in the US. That's why you see bigger cars in the US, with more standard equipment and more powerful engines. We can afford it, you can't. :wink:

No. You have bigger cars because your roads are built really wide compared to here. Ours are built to suit our roads. Nothing to do with money.

And no, Greece is amazing. You are just ignorant.

See other peoples posts arguing, I'd rather not repeat it.
Reply 132
We don't like fat vulgar people where ugly women control powerful ugly men and pretty women wait tables and live in ghettos.

Americans don't display wealth? What about your dick waving phallic insecurity expressing tall buildings.

It's a boring country founded on genocide and god loving outcast immigrants, with no culture or history and the knowledge of which leads to constant full on impermiable national insecurity.

No one in their right mind would envy such a useless country. It is fun for dirty shags, gluttony and brazen extravagance and it's a good place to be bad or mad, apart from that it's not really worth anything.

Most young rich americans spend as much time in Europe as possible, rich European kids tend to stay away unless they're looking for a quick boom and bust.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 133
[QUOTE=Made in the USA;30

074176]What the hell does "been to America" mean? Can you please make a habit of saying what state you visited? Are you folks aware that europe comfortably fits within the USA's borders? If I said I visited europe and the european food sucked, I can only imagine the reaction I'd get.

That you even think the two are comparable speaks volumes about you. As much as it probably pains you Americans to hear- size doesn't matter. The US being the same size as Europe doesn't mean they're anywhere near comparable.

Europe is made up of a vast number of different countries. As in, they have been separate countries with separate laws, languages, cuisines, histories and traditions for hundreds of years. Heck, the 'main' countries of the EU have spent most of the past thousand years at war with each other. There is a VAST difference between the economies of say Britain and Montenegro. Heck, even more the richer countries in the EU have major culture shock when moving between them- I moved from Britain to France and later Italy and the differences were immense, despite them being perhaps the most similar countries in Europe.

By comparison, you claim the US is diverse because you didn't recognise the food when you moved south.

If you can't see how Europe is completely incomparable to the US aside from size, then you're an idiot, frankly.
Reply 134
If you like cars, it completely sucks to live in europe.

The country where the speed limit on pretty much every main road is 50 miles per hour? You must be joking. At least in Europe you can buy something beautiful and enjoy it to it's full potential (Autobhans ect)
Reply 135
Original post by Bultmann
The country where the speed limit on pretty much every main road is 50 miles per hour? You must be joking. At least in Europe you can buy something beautiful and enjoy it to it's full potential (Autobhans ect)

Frankly, I don't understand why American roads like this have a speed limit.
Original post by alexs2602
For example; you may be able to afford better cars HOWEVER because they're cheaper for you that doesn't necessarily mean you have more money than us.

For instance the BMW he suggested was priced the same in USD that it is in EUR, but it is the exchange rate that gives us (non-American's) the better savings should we choose to import :smile:

I'd seriously consider importing if I was certain the Satnav would work Europe....
Original post by Bourgeois
Crime in Athens is a tiny fraction of what it is in most (if not all) US cities. It's amazing that an American would even bring up crime in a discussion about Europe.

This is going to shock you and I know you will disagree with me, but Greece could very well lead the world in non-violent crime. There hasn't been one single day I have spent in that country where I haven't witnessed a law being violated. Not small things, but major transgressions

The type of crime that is completely our of control in Athens is non-violent crimes like simple theft, pick-pocketing, and especially fraud. The institutional corruption and fraud is so widespread at every level of the society, especially government, that it would be very hard to measure accurately.

Even the people who are not professional criminals are crooks. In the course of one day I was nearly ripped off or witnessed fraud several times. Dishonest taxi drivers think they can get away with doubling their fare, turning off their meter, etc. You have to agree on a price in advance before you get in the cab. Merchants often think you can't calculate currencies and will try to change prices on you or sell you something different than what you bought. How many of you are asked to pay cash for something in Greece so you avoid paying VAT? They refuse to give a receipt, although you may be "charged" VAT. Neither that nor the sale will be declared by the merchant to the relevant tax authorities. Even wonder why Greece has no computer software industry? It's because the owners of the computer software stores often offer to open the box of software and for 10 euros they will burn the cd for you, photocopy the manual, and put the box of software back on the shelf and send you on your way. Now I know why no one in Greece owns a legally purchased piece of software that isn't pirated. Government officials, police, or basically anyone in a position of authority are happy to take bribes to look the other way. If you know the right person to pay or exchange favors you can do just about anything.
Original post by Bultmann

Maybe in 1985 the speed limits were 55, max. But not now. It's not uncommon to see 80 mph speed limits.
Maybe in 1985 the speed limits were 55, max. But not now. It's not uncommon to see 80 mph speed limits.

Not uncommon to see 80mph speed limits... oh how up to date you are :rolleyes: