The Student Room Group

Bristol or Exeter University for Law?

Hi,
I have offers for Exeter (AAA) and Bristol (AAB) but i'm not sure about which one to firm. I've visited both and would have been attending the open days in March if they weren't on the same day :rolleyes: Any advice/opinions on which university is better??

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Both good unis. Bristol probably has a better reputation generally but I think it's Law Faculty is not as good as it once was. Could you visit one of them on a general Open Day, which is not necessarily for Law applicants? Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Thanks :smile: i don't think there are any more general open days i'll have to check again...but yeah i don't think i have a definite preference so i suppose im just comparing stuff like reputation, prestige, employability etc
If law is what you want you want to go into, I think Bristol is the better of the two. The name of the university matters just as much as your classification and work experience.
Reply 4
Original post by yahyahyahs
If law is what you want you want to go into, I think Bristol is the better of the two. The name of the university matters just as much as your classification and work experience.

Hmmm yeah I was thinking this...I just looked at the league tables - Exeter is classed as 14 to Bristols 33 :confused: I haven't paid a lot of attention to league tables in the past but this just seems to contradict what i've heard :s-smilie:
Original post by Kel2693
Hmmm yeah I was thinking this...I just looked at the league tables - Exeter is classed as 14 to Bristols 33 :confused: I haven't paid a lot of attention to league tables in the past but this just seems to contradict what i've heard :s-smilie:

League tables are nothing - the world ones say that UCL beats Oxford, but which one sounds more impressive?

Personally, I think you should ultimately choose the one YOU want to go to, but if it means going to the one with the more prestigious name, then you shouldn't feel bad for choosing it on that basis because half of TSR will be like "you shouldn't choose a uni because if the prestige".
Reply 6
Original post by yahyahyahs
League tables are nothing - the world ones say that UCL beats Oxford, but which one sounds more impressive?

Personally, I think you should ultimately choose the one YOU want to go to, but if it means going to the one with the more prestigious name, then you shouldn't feel bad for choosing it on that basis because half of TSR will be like "you shouldn't choose a uni because if the prestige".

:smile: Good point in terms of UCL/Oxford... hmm yh i've basically turned to look at prestige and reputation because I can't choose between them and I wouldn't mind going to either of them - so i wont feel bad :tongue: thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Both very reputatble universities, if you put a lot of work in (Well you're doing a Law degree, so of course you will :wink: ) you shouldn't have much trouble doing what you want to do afterwards :smile: Just go for the one you prefer the look and feel of, although I feel slightly inclined to Bristol for some reason. But that's just me :smile:
Reply 8
I would certainly say Bristol.

As you can see, I applied to both and got offers from both so I do not have anything against Exeter.

Bristol is regarded as being in a higher 'tier' than Exeter and its reputation is, on the whole, a lot more grounded than Exeter's. Furthermore, Bristol is a vibrant city that can offer you a bit of whatever you want.

EDIT: Also, seeing as you have an AAB offer for Bristol, the choice should be obvious.

EDIT EDIT: Genuinely don't understand what's controversial about this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Cast.Iron
I would certainly say Bristol.

As you can see, I applied to both and got offers from both so I do not have anything against Exeter.

Bristol is regarded as being in a higher 'tier' than Exeter and its reputation is, on the whole, a lot more grounded than Exeter's. Furthermore, Bristol is a vibrant city that can offer you a bit of whatever you want.

EDIT: Also, seeing as you have an AAB offer for Bristol, the choice should be obvious.

Good points thanks :smile: I am tempted to take the AAB offer and run :tongue: lol
Reply 10
Well I think it depends on what exactly you're looking for. Overall, Bristol has a better reputation. But Exeter's rep is growing, and aims to be sustainably ranked in the top 10 in the UK by 2012 and in the top 100 of the world by 2015. They are working really hard for it and I think with that kind of dedication they will achieve positive results even though it may be later than planned. At the same time, nothing can beat Exeter's stunning campus and I heard they have a very lively social scene as well. They have been in the top 10 for student satisfaction for a few fears in a row, which is a great deal that would affect your student experience. The other side however, is that Bristol has a much higher graduate prospect rate than Exeter, including the law dept. Nevertheless, Exeter is taking huge steps to improve their graduate prospects and things may be different when you graduate. Plus, the new buildings and development on campus such as the Forum is a clear indication that Exeter really mean business.
Reply 11
I'm currently a Law student at Exeter but have lived in Bristol for the last ten years and I have to agree whilst the name Bristol has presitge its fairly well recognised Exeters law department is definately equal too if not better than Bristols and its very well rated iwth law firms. Plus with the developments going on its reputation can only increase. . .

Whilst Exeter clearly has the nicer of the two campuses by miles Bristols nightlife scene is a million times better than Exeters, not saying Exeter isnt a good night but its very limited and gets repetivite. Amenities wise e.g. cinemas/shopping/ sports facilites there both pretty even.

Presuming you'll be staying in halls the first year Exeters halls are located on campus comapred to Bristols being a good bus/bike ride away . . . but as a warning both are stuffed full of Rah's

Not sure how helpful that is but trying to give an unbiased opinion I love both cities

[This is my sisters TSR in case i have caused any confusion from seeing other posts under this user]
(edited 13 years ago)
Bristol
Reply 13
Original post by ..x Orchid x..
Bristol

Any particular reason why? :smile:
Original post by Kel2693
Any particular reason why? :smile:

As others have said before, Bristol has a better reputation, which is very important with regards to job offers and so on. The reputation of Exeter is "growing, " but the reputation of Bristol has already "grown."

I would chose Bristol.

So, you may want to think about things like location, expenses, accomodation, night life (and so on), and then compare the two.

Best of luck!
Bristol no question.
Firms are elitist, and Bristol is traditionally well thought of. It carries that to its advantage. Also, for one of the posters above who said Exeter has the nicer campus, compare the law faculty buildings directly:

Exeter
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1004436

Bristol
http://svr225.stepx.com:3388/university-of-bristol/file/43680.jpg
Reply 17
Bristol, and I wouldn't even think twice.
Reply 18
The Will's Memorial building is the grandest structure in the city centre in my opinion. The law school is housed there and besides, Bristol is the best city in the country. You need any more reasons?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by NS17
The Will's Memorial building is the grandest structure in the city centre in my opinion. The law school is housed there and besides, Bristol is the best city in the country. You need any more reasons?

Yes :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending