The Student Room Group

Part time jobs are impossible to get!

Hi,
Im in year 12 at the moment but since last summer I have been looking on and off for a weekend job at the very least. I have handed out numerous CVs but no one has replied to them. And i have been rejected many times from online applications.
How am I supposed to get a job???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BeccaCath94
Hi,
Im in year 12 at the moment but since last summer I have been looking on and off for a weekend job at the very least. I have handed out numerous CVs but no one has replied to them. And i have been rejected many times from online applications.

its the same for me aswell, im in year 12 and have been looking everywhere! Closest i have got is a interview with Apple, which i got rejected :/
Reply 2
agreed but you have to remeber there arnt many jobs out there. As "skilled" people are now taking labour jobs which makes it pretty much impossible for anyone who hasnt have any work experience to get a job.
Reply 3
Lol at the OP...when you look for a job you dont just hang CV's out!...I work in a retail and I see people come in all the time and just give their CV's in...you need to directly speak to the manager and tell her what skills you got, how you gona contribute to the company etc. If he/she is interested they will ask you for a CV!!.
I would fill out specific applications rather than just hand in c.v.s.

Hi,

The best way is to keep bugging them, like literally ring them up every fortnight at every place and keep 'checking' for vacancies, remind them that you've handed your CV in and keep bugging them!
Reply 6
probs get that many CVs that they go straight in the bin, everything is now done online
Reply 7
Hi,

Try some of the bigger supermarkets, lots of them will have an application form you print off and fill in, then they keep your details until there is a vacancy. Also try shops that aren't necessarily 'cool' to work in, less people give in their CV's, less competition and working there probably wont be that bad! (Think Clarks etc they actually pay pretty well and have really flexible hours) And don't knock looking for vacancies in your local free paper!
Good luck :smile:
There are hardly any jobs at the moment, especially in retail because it's the end of the financial year so they don't have money to employ any more staff (or so I'm told!) The best time to get part time jobs is september/november because most shops need christmas staff. I was looking for full time and all I could get was 8 hours a week (so opposite problem to you!)
Reply 9
Hi,

I'm in a similar position. I'm quite surprised by how few part-time jobs there are. I'd have thought what with all the lay-offs that employers would have been offering less hours than before. I have two degrees, and yet I've had only one interview. Before I got my Masters, back in 2008-2009 I had about 11 in 6 months.
They aint impossible to get, difficult yes, impossible no. Just try harder, get someone (careers advisor, family/friend who's got experience) to check your application over before you send it.
Reply 11
im currently in 4th year and have had a sunday job for a year now. I got it by my mum asking her boss if he needed anyone in on the weekends?

Best advice would be to ask at little shops not big chains? and ask relatives to ask boss' or friends if they know anything is up for grabs!
get your phonebook out and ring about 20 places u would happily work. post you need work on facebook, send of cvs and covering letters to as many places u can think. and ask all your friends if they know of ant jobs

applying online is probably the worst way to look for a job for a few reasons so only do this as a last option
It's even harder to get a full time job :frown:
Reply 14
Aww thanks everyone for all the advise! I'll keep looking...fingers corssed! :biggrin:
Have you tried volunteering to boost your c.v whilst looking? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Have you tried volunteerin to boost your c.v whilst looking? :smile:

OP is doing it for the money
Reply 17
Try getting a qualification that will allow you to do a job...lifeguarding is always needed!
Original post by Straight up G
OP is doing it for the money

Yes, but volunteering in charity shops, even if it's one morning a week is a good way to add experience to your c.v.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Yes but volunteering in charity shops even if it's one morning a week is a good way to add experience to your c.v.

One's CV is usually irrelevant to these part time jobs. All you have to do is show that you learn quickly and keep your cool, for these part time jobs, as well as sucking up to the manager.

Quick Reply

Latest