The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
I just had to tell my school I'm interested in doing an EPQ, and I'm in year 12 at the moment. Will we be starting in September and should I expect guidance in selecting a topic, or should I be thinking of looking for topics on my own now?

I'm interested in studying physics at uni and consequently I want to do a physics based EP, I was thinking something about parallel universes as is suggested by Max Tegmark, as I find it extremely interesting. However I'm not sure what or how I would research regarding such an abstract topic.

Anyone got any suggestions? It seems to be a really beneficial project to undertake - I'm looking forward to actually having things to discuss about my topic at university interviews.
Reply 1541
I have to do 2000 words by tonight or I'm getting kicked off the course.... Why oh why did I leave this subject in the dumps? Would be a shame if they booted me.....
I got an A for my EPQ Artefact!
That's 60 UCAS points in bag.
EPQ is definitely worth it and rewarding.
Do not EVER give up.
Reply 1543
Got my presentation in 2 weeks. Polished off my essay pretty much 3 weeks ago, so I was quite happy with that. As I hadn't done a piece of extended writing due to my A Level choices, it was definitely worth doing one now, as Manchester said that they wanted a piece of extended writing possibly for the interview I had with them. Can't wait for it to be over, though. I haven't got anything riding on this, but it would be nice to get a good grade nonetheless.
Reply 1544
Hi guys, I've set this poll up so I can gather some data for my EPQ. Would you guys also be so kind as to answer some questions as well 'cause it would be a massive help to me.

1) If you selected yes, for what offences would you like to see capital punishment reintrodeuced for?
2) Why these offences?
3) If you selected no, why would you not like to see it reintroduced?

Thanks for the help in advance.
I said no - because two wrongs don't make a right, and innocent people may be wrongly condemned to death.
No because I don't think it is moral - finite crime, infinite punishment, two wrongs don't make a right, no chance of redemption/rehabilitation etc
Yes - though funilly enough not for murder, I would support it for paedophiles and child abusers.
Reply 1548
No. I don't believe the state should have the power to kill its citizens. I especially don't believe this given that we know our justice system sometimes gets it wrong.
Yes. The state should have the power to remove people who are completely incompatible with society

The hundreds of thousands it costs to keep a murderer in prison could be better put to use, and making people live out of their lives in cell is inhumane, so death would be a better alternative.

Paedophiles, Murderers, should be the ones sentenced to death.
Yes but only to some serious crimes:

1 crimes against humanity
-1: crimes against children under the age of 12/15 (depending on the crime) including sex offences, rapes, murders, etc...
-2: crimes of genocide: for example if you were a terrorist, regardless of situation, religion
etc if you killed or commited genocide then you shouldn't really live while your victims didn't
get that chance did they?
-3: crimes such as Murder (depending on situation e.g. self-defense), Rape (NO EXCUSE),
Insurance Scammers to illegal or forced prostitution etc... if you force a girl/boy to have sex against their will, it should be seen as a rape instead of aiding prostitution etc..
no, because i think people should be given the chance to rehabilitate. also the system ocassionally makes mistakes
Reply 1552
Original post by TlanTlan
Yes. The state should have the power to remove people who are completely incompatible with society

The hundreds of thousands it costs to keep a murderer in prison could be better put to use, and making people live out of their lives in cell is inhumane, so death would be a better alternative.

Paedophiles, Murderers, should be the ones sentenced to death.

Do you realise that it costs significantly more to kill them?
Original post by dring
No. I don't believe the state should have the power to kill its citizens. I especially don't believe this given that we know our justice system sometimes gets it wrong.

yes that was 20/30 years ago. today it would be very hard for police to get it wrong 1: with the use of digital technology it is hard to escape a camera today etc.. and one should have concrete, not circumstantial evidence to be sentenced to death.
Original post by dring

gun? bullet?
i suppose you're considering the paperwork etc.. police payment etc...
Reply 1555
Original post by angryvivo
yes that was 20/30 years ago. today it would be very hard for police to get it wrong 1: with the use of digital technology it is hard to escape a camera today etc.. and one should have concrete, not circumstantial evidence to be sentenced to death.

You think that we never come to incorrect conclusions nowadays? I think that your faith in the justice system is somewhat misplaced! We have appeals procedures for a reason...but you can't appeal death.
Murdering a murderer just to teach the rest of us how it's done here in this country...something about it doesn't click.
Reply 1557
Original post by angryvivo
gun? bullet?
i suppose you're considering the paperwork etc.. police payment etc...

I'm considering the total cost. This seems to be the only cost worth considering, to be honest...
Original post by dring

Bullets are pretty cheap.
Reply 1559
Original post by TlanTlan
Bullets are pretty cheap.

My facts are no match for your ignorance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending