The Student Room Group

BBC3 - Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
(Although in EM I sometimes thought the scrubs might be a bit thin particularly the bottoms, but at the same time I wouldn't want to wear my own trousers)

Original post by Renal
They made nipping out for a 4am fag in December a decidedly iffy proposition.

Oh dissapointed, I thought you meant it was because you´ve got a huge **** :frown:
Reply 781
Given the 13 hour shifts and the annual salary of a Foundation Year 1 Doctor, they're basically earning less than minimum wage! So for their first year they're earning less than someone stacking shelves at Tesco. At least the pay picks up quite quickly and they have decent prospects.

Can you go into private practice straight out of uni? what's the pay like in the private sector?
Reply 782
Original post by xerriva
Can you go into private practice straight out of uni? what's the pay like in the private sector?
No. There are some more menial jobs in private healthcare for people around senior SHO or junior registrar level, these are things like RMOing and pre-assessing in private hospitals or doing occy health examinations for corporations. Pay in the private sector is generally quite good, better than the NHS wage for the equivalent experience, but below consultant it comes at the expense of career progression and a general loss of future income.
Reply 783
Original post by Beska
Some hospital in Wales (iirc) is making doctors wear a 'uniform' of scrubs in some kind of America-esque way I remember reading.

In the same article it has something about them wanting to bring back white coats, but with short sleeves. That would look ****ing ridiculous, haha.

At the hospital where I work, the anaesthetists/surgeons/trainees and junior doctors who work in the theatre department have to wear white coats whenever they leave the department . One anaesthetist commented on how it made him look like an ice-cream man.
Original post by hawflo
At the hospital where I work, the anaesthetists/surgeons/trainees and junior doctors who work in the theatre department have to wear white coats whenever they leave the department . One anaesthetist commented on how it made him look like an ice-cream man.

Same in the shire, in theatres we have NHS hoodies or zoodies to pop over if we go outside the theatre. Even when just transferring a patient it has to go on! Even the doctors, they seem quite popular though and a bit 'trendier' than a white coat could be. They have them in critical care areas too.
Original post by Renal
But you won't, not unless you're going to stop hiding what you do. Top secret quacktitioner?

See that you've been getting your fellow mods to neg me. Gee boy you need to get a life!

I notice that they are all too cowardly to even give their names! Lmfao at you all. It goes to show how sad you are and what a clique this whole damned forum is.

Now I'm off to the dogs and let's see if I can win enough money to never have to work again! Tally ho!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 786
Original post by puddlejumper
See that you've been getting your fellow mods to neg me. Gee boy you need to get a life!My fellow mods? I'm glad you think so highly of me. And, JFTR, I haven't repped you at all, I'm not that petty. :wink:

(You'll have noticed of course, that you didn't leave your name when you repped me, it does seem a little trite to complain about it when others don't offer you the same courtesy)

E: And you still haven't told us what you do that is so holistic and holier-than-though. :colone:
(edited 13 years ago)

See that you've been getting your fellow mods to neg me. Gee boy you need to get a life!

I notice that they are all too cowardly to even give their names! Lmfao at you all. It goes to show how sad you are and what a clique this whole damned forum is.

Now I'm off to the dogs and let's see if I can win enough money to never have to work again! Tally ho!!!

It's not possible to leave a name when you neg someone. But just for the record, I'm about to neg you. For someone with so much experience (and implied age) you're surprisingly immature.
Reply 788
Why on earth would anyone over the age of 12 NOT be bothered about rep :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Renal
My fellow mods? I'm glad you think so highly of me. And, JFTR, I haven't repped you at all, I'm not that petty. :wink:

(You'll have noticed of course, that you didn't leave your name when you repped me, it does seem a little trite to complain about it when others don't offer you the same courtesy)

E: And you still haven't told us what you do that is so holistic and holier-than-though. :colone:

Don't you know? She (lol yes a she..) is a physionurseographer therapist MD achieved via the bull-crap pathway at the university of Twittington
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Subcutaneous
Don't you know? She (lol yes a she..) is a physionurseographer therapist MD achieved via the bull-crap pathway at the university of Twittington

I think that was my insurance offer. :s-smilie:
Reply 791
Original post by delphie
Why on earth would anyone over the age of 12 be bothered about rep :confused:

You better not be bothered by this rep.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I think that was my insurance offer. :s-smilie:

Yeah, it's normally called Nottingham Trent...:awesome:
Reply 793
Did we all see John on Harry Hill's T.V. Burp? Glad he has a sense of humour but that was a bit daft.
Original post by DexterM
Did we all see John on Harry Hill's T.V. Burp? Glad he has a sense of humour but that was a bit daft.

Was just about to post that.

Good to see junior doctors still having a great sense of humour xD
Yeah, it's normally called Nottingham Trent...:awesome:

I was going to say Peninsula. :ahee:

Spoiler

I thought they were going to sing the morbidly obese song on harry hill's :P would have been fun
Reply 797
Original post by chaz1992
Will they ever follow the chinese guy around the hospital?

They haven't yet...

Next week...:biggrin:

Same in the shire, in theatres we have NHS hoodies or zoodies to pop over if we go outside the theatre. Even when just transferring a patient it has to go on! Even the doctors, they seem quite popular though and a bit 'trendier' than a white coat could be. They have them in critical care areas too.

What's a zoodie? Although sounds better than white coats with half the sleeves missing.
Original post by Lantana
Next week...:biggrin:

What's a zoodie? Although sounds better than white coats with half the sleeves missing.

A zip up hoodie. They're rather nice actually, nice and snuggly! Apart than the NHS logo lol
Reply 799
Perhaps I am, but I felt that since we are forced to accept neg rep then it is only fair to start dishing it out myself...

Have some neg rep from me too if it's that important...
Shame we can't add comments/names anymore - but the citation for that one is for being pretty high on the suspects list to have negged me 2 days ago for sharing experiences that dared counter yours! :tongue:

Should I watch episode 3 or should I catch up on other trashy TV..? Hmm.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply