The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Law - G154 Criminal Law Special Study - Inv Mans.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Jamesey
Ah I did question two and three first and left question one till the end. congratulations though.

You know whats really funny? I got a D (again) in my sources of law retake :laugh:

Did you not really revise for the sources of law exam? With statutory interpretation and judicial precedent both coming up I thought that this was way easier than the special study paper. The hardest part was choosing which of those topics to do.
Reply 81
80/80!

Boom.
Original post by Reptilia
80/80!

Boom.

Very jealous. Well done! :biggrin:
xx

P.S Tutor me? I'm kidding XD
Reply 83
Original post by Geoff89
Did you not really revise for the sources of law exam? With statutory interpretation and judicial precedent both coming up I thought that this was way easier than the special study paper. The hardest part was choosing which of those topics to do.

I did revise loads :frown: I'm not sure why I did so badly, I'm getting the script back to have a peek.
Reply 84
I know a lot of people at my college felt they didn't have enough to write about for the Statutory Interpretation questions, all they really did was describe the relevant rule and give a few examples of its use.

I decided to go for the slightly harder judicial precedent questions because I had revised heavily for this topic, I ended up getting 64/80 but I wish I had have practiced exam technique, as I didn't structure my answers very well. About 5 mins after I came out of the exam I realised I hadn't even mentioned the 'ratio' or 'obiter' and their importance in the doctrine of precedent. I'm kind of kicking myself because I could have picked up quite a few extra marks on this paper to solidify my A before the final exam.
Reply 85
I got 64/80, which means I'm no longer able to get an A* but could still get a D in the summer and come out with an A which is a nice feeling..

Anybody else's college really do badly?
Ours has dropped from a 95% average A*s to Bs to 35% for this paper despite our results being consistent with last year's up to now :s-smilie: Apparently we're going to appeal..
Reply 86
Original post by Etoiliege
I got 64/80, which means I'm no longer able to get an A* but could still get a D in the summer and come out with an A which is a nice feeling..

Anybody else's college really do badly?
Ours has dropped from a 95% average A*s to Bs to 35% for this paper despite our results being consistent with last year's up to now :s-smilie: Apparently we're going to appeal..

You could still get an A* but you would need to score at least 116/120 on the paper in the summer.

My college was in a similar position to yours, with 30/35 students doing law achieving an A or B at AS. I only know of around 10 of us getting an A or a B on this paper, there were a lot of E's and U's. My college did really badly in general though during this exam session, with 30% of all the exams taken being awarded a U.

There were some classes with a 100% failure rate. Someone jokingly mentioned that the Tories are making it even more difficult to get into Uni by raising grade boundaries.
Reply 87
IM sentencing.doc

Involuntary Manslaughter Essay.doc

Special Study - Revision Cards.doc

Put up for meh...hi but hopefully anyone else resitting could find them helpful :smile:
Reply 88
People, don't forget Andrews could also come up for Q1, as it had a lot to do with clarifying the 'beyond a matter of mere compensation' test, i.e. there has to a 'very high' degree of negligence. Before Andrews it wasn't clear what 'gross' negliegence was. Generally you're expected to be able to talk about how one of the cases from the source has developed the law, be able to perhaps briefly say the state of the law before that case, and in the mark scheme it stresses you MUST cite another case after the given case to show clarification. Also, whoever said Lidar introduced reckless m/s in to the law, that's a tad incorrect. Lidar merely said that there was no evidence that Adomako had abolished reckless m/s. As for question 2, it will always be on the criticisms of the law, i.e. what is wrong with unlawful act m/s, what is wrong with gnm etc. January's paper in fact reqired the student to talk about the faults with gnm, unlawful act m/s, reckless m/s AND involuntary m/s as a whole. It will always give some sort of phrase from the source, however don't let it fool you - question 2 is always just about evaluation and reform, it just asks it in different ways. I.e. in January they said what are the difficulties with the definition of invol. m/s or something to that effect. If you think about it, that is just asking you, what is wrong with it? The facts we have to learn for q2 don't change, just the way they ask it. 1and3, you could well reason that a duty arising from the creation of a dangerous situation in Church was present, or that the COA in Khan and Khan have eluded to a duty to summon medical assistance POSSIBLY occuring, at leas tin drugs cases anyway. However, you would mainly talk about Church with regards to unlawful act m/s, but the exam board are fine with giving reasons as to how uch situations COULD be gnm, technically. That is a problem with the law on involuntary m/s.
Reply 89
Original post by Etoiliege
IM sentencing.doc

Involuntary Manslaughter Essay.doc

Special Study - Revision Cards.doc

Put up for meh...hi but hopefully anyone else resitting could find them helpful :smile:

Hello...Etoiliege...can u tell me, is the involuntary manslaughter answer response defo an A* grade answer cos im gonna literally learn it off by heart for the exam.

Thanks so much :biggrin:
Reply 90
Original post by munchkin1
Hello...Etoiliege...can u tell me, is the involuntary manslaughter answer response defo an A* grade answer cos im gonna literally learn it off by heart for the exam.

Thanks so much :biggrin:

Hey, I can't find the marked version so I can't tell you the exact grade sorry. I know it was definitely top bracket of the mark scheme. You don't need to include the part about felony murder cuz foriegn authority isn't really relevant to IM. Aha, please don't blame me if it doesn't work! I'm sure you'll do fine though, good luck :smile:
Reply 91
I'm sitting this tomorrow for the first time. I'm so scared. If Andrews comes up as the first question I'm going to be done for.... Does anyone have any tips for this exam?
Ohh I'm not looking forward to this exam. Everyone who I sat it with thinks this will be easier than today's :L I have a feeling I'm gonna struggle. Does anyone have any tips?
Reply 93
Does anyone have critical and analytical points for the cases that could come up:
Church
Lidar
Kennedy

(Adomako is unlikely to come up as it was used in jan2011)

and a link to another case for each

Any help would be great cos im crapping myself at the moment cos i did so rubbish in todays exam!

thx so much
Reply 94
does anyone know of a copy of January's exam or just happens to know the questions on it? this is my first time sitting this exam
Reply 95
In light of the above post, it would be preferred if anyone has a copy of tomorrow's paper. :biggrin:

Quick Reply