The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Living in or around Brighton (sussex uni)

Hello, I will be coming back to England from Turkey with my girlfriend for 1 or 2 years. We have a list of several locations in the UK where she can do her masters and where I will start an open uni course.

Brighton is one of the places. However, although I lived in Sussex for 8 years, I am not familiar at all with the availability of acommodation, jobs etc and which areas to avoid/focus on, so we really would like to find out about the following so we can compare it to other locations:

Names of areas for acommodation to avoid (ie full of chavs, unsafe etc)

Names of areas for acommodation that are safe, recommended for students

What sort of acommodation in and around Brighton/Hove/Newhaven/Shoreham/Worthing (within 30 mins) could be obtained for 2 people for not much more than 400 pounds per month, and are these areas safe/recommended?

Cost of living compared to rest of UK?

Part and full time employment opportunities in any job - availability?

What things are there do to during free time and weekends?

Is there the availability of seminaries and other similar short courses, events and educational supplements to boost the studying of someone doing a masters degree (my girlfriend)?

What is the nearest airport?

What are bus services like in and around Brighton?

Is there a relaible train network?

I have looked on gumtree.com for an idea of acommodation costs etc, but it seems to vary widely and I am unsure if the cheap ones I found that look okay are actually in an unsafe area ridden with chavs and the like.

If someone can provide me with some details and recommendations regarding my above queries I would be very grateful!!

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
9) and 10) are both yes :smile: Accommodation is generally hard to find close to the uni, but I don't know much else that can help, sorry :smile:
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Original post by hmmyes
Hello, I will be coming back to England from Turkey with my girlfriend for 1 or 2 years. We have a list of several locations in the UK where she can do her masters and where I will start an open uni course.

Brighton is one of the places. However, although I lived in Sussex for 8 years, I am not familiar at all with the availability of acommodation, jobs etc and which areas to avoid/focus on, so we really would like to find out about the following so we can compare it to other locations:

What sort of acommodation in and around Brighton/Hove/Newhaven/Shoreham/Worthing (within 30 mins) could be obtained for 2 people for not much more than 400 pounds per month, and are these areas safe/recommended?

Is there the availability of seminaries and other similar short courses, events and educational supplements to boost the studying of someone doing a masters degree (my girlfriend)?

I have looked on gumtree.com for an idea of acommodation costs etc, but it seems to vary widely and I am unsure if the cheap ones I found that look okay are actually in an unsafe area ridden with chavs and the like.

If someone can provide me with some details and recommendations regarding my above queries I would be very grateful!!

Thanks in advance.

1) Whitehaven, Patcham, not sure how things have changed in a couple of years but those used to be the worst according to my ex.

9/10) Bus service is very good, as is the train network.

I'm afraid I can't help you with anything else.
Reply 3
Original post by hmmyes

Thanks in advance.

Whitehawk, Patcham, parts of Mouslecoomb (although a lot of students live there, I personally don't think it's particularly nice), Newhaven.

I live in Central Brighton and love it....popular student areas are Lewes Road, Hollingbury, Hanover, Brighton-side of Hove.

I live in a studio flat in the center of Brighton with my boyfriend and that costs £425/a month, heating included. From what else I've seen in the center, this is a bargain!! Most other decent sized studio flats (i.e. the ones you can actually move in) cost upwards of £500. One bedroom flats from £600/month, but sometimes it's hard to even find that. Avoid flats in Oriental Place (West Brighton, almost Hove) - I found lots of cheap flats advertised there but it's really not a very nice place....well known to have a few brothels and drug dealer houses there.

Cost of living - I'd say pretty much the same as the rest of the South East...so pretty expensive when you compare to the North and South West (I'm thinking of Somerset and counties like that).

There are a lot of part time job opportunities in Brighton in my opinion, cos it's an all year round tourist city. Stag/hen parties and foreign school groups during the winter, and every other type of tourist during the spring/summer/autumn. There are a lot of restaurants and cafes here, so I always see a lot of waitressing and kitchen jobs advertised. There's quite a lot of offices too, as well as shops (all kinds - high street and independent).

Lots of things to do here!! There always seems to be one festival or another happening in Brighton (White Night, Fringe Festival, main festival, Food festival etc) as well as various weekly markets, beautiful countryside all around (and easy access to it), lots of nightlife (big variety), and of course the beach/pier on any sunny day.

Nearest airport is Gatwick, 30 mins on the train. There's something like 4/5/6 trains an hour to London (depends on the time of day) and most stop there.

The bus service is great! There's pretty much just one company, so you can get a day pass/weekly/monthly/yearly pass with them (Brighton and Hove) and go pretty far, as far North-East to Tunbridge Wells in Kent and to Eastbourne in the East....£3.70 for a day ticket as far east to Seaford, and then £5 all the way to Eastbourne for example.
There's also the Lemon Bus which runs to the Universities from Brighton.

Train network is great - fastest trains to London take 50 minutes, can get direct trains to Southampton (1hr 50), Seaford (40 mins), Ashford International (maybe 2 hours?) and Cardiff (no idea).
Reply 4
Thanks so much everyone for the help.

Original post by gemini89
Whitehawk, Patcham, parts of Mouslecoomb (although a lot of students live there, I personally don't think it's particularly nice), Newhaven.

I live in Central Brighton and love it....popular student areas are Lewes Road, Hollingbury, Hanover, Brighton-side of Hove.

I live in a studio flat in the center of Brighton with my boyfriend and that costs £425/a month, heating included. From what else I've seen in the center, this is a bargain!! Most other decent sized studio flats (i.e. the ones you can actually move in) cost upwards of £500. One bedroom flats from £600/month, but sometimes it's hard to even find that. Avoid flats in Oriental Place (West Brighton, almost Hove) - I found lots of cheap flats advertised there but it's really not a very nice place....well known to have a few brothels and drug dealer houses there.

Cost of living - I'd say pretty much the same as the rest of the South East...so pretty expensive when you compare to the North and South West (I'm thinking of Somerset and counties like that).

There are a lot of part time job opportunities in Brighton in my opinion, cos it's an all year round tourist city. Stag/hen parties and foreign school groups during the winter, and every other type of tourist during the spring/summer/autumn. There are a lot of restaurants and cafes here, so I always see a lot of waitressing and kitchen jobs advertised. There's quite a lot of offices too, as well as shops (all kinds - high street and independent).

Lots of things to do here!! There always seems to be one festival or another happening in Brighton (White Night, Fringe Festival, main festival, Food festival etc) as well as various weekly markets, beautiful countryside all around (and easy access to it), lots of nightlife (big variety), and of course the beach/pier on any sunny day.

Nearest airport is Gatwick, 30 mins on the train. There's something like 4/5/6 trains an hour to London (depends on the time of day) and most stop there.

The bus service is great! There's pretty much just one company, so you can get a day pass/weekly/monthly/yearly pass with them (Brighton and Hove) and go pretty far, as far North-East to Tunbridge Wells in Kent and to Eastbourne in the East....£3.70 for a day ticket as far east to Seaford, and then £5 all the way to Eastbourne for example.
There's also the Lemon Bus which runs to the Universities from Brighton.

Train network is great - fastest trains to London take 50 minutes, can get direct trains to Southampton (1hr 50), Seaford (40 mins), Ashford International (maybe 2 hours?) and Cardiff (no idea).

That is extremely useful info thanks so much for it!! It'll be really useful in helping us come to a decision.

In regards to acommodation, I have been looking online and found the following few places that took my eye for the price and the standard of the acommodation, but I don't know if they are in those no-go areas you mentioned. Do you know?

In Charlotte Street:
http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=8450488

In Brunswick Road:
http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=7946560

In Preston Park:
http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=8123304

Thanks so much again!!
Reply 5
Original post by hmmyes
Thanks so much everyone for the help.

That is extremely useful info thanks so much for it!! It'll be really useful in helping us come to a decision.

In regards to acommodation, I have been looking online and found the following few places that took my eye for the price and the standard of the acommodation, but I don't know if they are in those no-go areas you mentioned. Do you know?

In Charlotte Street:
http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=8450488

In Brunswick Road:
http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=7946560

In Preston Park:
http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=1&pid=8123304

Thanks so much again!!

Preston Park is a bit out of it to be honest - fine if you have a car, but I'm guessing from your questions that you don't? (you asked about buses/trains).

Brunswick Road is technically in Hove, but so close to Brighton, actually about 10 minutes walk from where I live. I remember seeing some flats there - known to be quite a cheap place to live, right off the main road where you can get buses to the Universities......15 minutes walk from the centre of 'town' (if you class that as Churchill Square shopping centre/clock tower, as a lot of people do). Closest supermarket is Waitrose though! :wink:

Charlotte Street is in Kemp Town, forgot to mention Kemp Town earlier. Opposite end of town, but a nice place to live (lots of students/young professionals live here as well) - around 10 mins walk from Old Steine where you can get the buses to Uni. 15 minutes walk up to Churchill Square....Morrisons is nearest supermarket!

Don't know if you've ever lived in a studio flat before, but from my experience it's definitely worth trying to get one with a separate kitchen. If you're spending most of your time in the one 'living/sleeping' room (which won't be the biggest size anyway) it's really great to have a separate room to cook in!!
Reply 6
Original post by gemini89
Preston Park is a bit out of it to be honest - fine if you have a car, but I'm guessing from your questions that you don't? (you asked about buses/trains).

Brunswick Road is technically in Hove, but so close to Brighton, actually about 10 minutes walk from where I live. I remember seeing some flats there - known to be quite a cheap place to live, right off the main road where you can get buses to the Universities......15 minutes walk from the centre of 'town' (if you class that as Churchill Square shopping centre/clock tower, as a lot of people do). Closest supermarket is Waitrose though! :wink:

Charlotte Street is in Kemp Town, forgot to mention Kemp Town earlier. Opposite end of town, but a nice place to live (lots of students/young professionals live here as well) - around 10 mins walk from Old Steine where you can get the buses to Uni. 15 minutes walk up to Churchill Square....Morrisons is nearest supermarket!

Don't know if you've ever lived in a studio flat before, but from my experience it's definitely worth trying to get one with a separate kitchen. If you're spending most of your time in the one 'living/sleeping' room (which won't be the biggest size anyway) it's really great to have a separate room to cook in!!

Well we could get a cheap car, but the insurance will be too much. Good, got some more areas to add on the safe list. Never lived in a studio flat before, but yes I bet being able to separate cooking smells from the rest of the area is pretty important!

Durham and York are our goals since theyre very pretty and comparatively cheaper too, but Brighton is no.3 I think.

Thanks for all your help :smile:
Oriental Place is amazing - - its a city you pansy and having the police cars parked permanently on the street is, if anything, a pretty useful safety watch. Why live in brighton if you want to live on some residential family street way out of town?
and dont worry you learn to love the joys of being able to reach the kitchen from your bed! Would definitely recommend a seperate or own bathroom over a separate kitchen, sharing is fine at first but after a few months just feels like an extended camping holiday.
Reply 9
I'm on about going to BIMM in September. I'm looking for accommodation and it'd need to be a place with parking space outside for my van (musical equipment for gigs) but everywhere is so expensive so I don't know where would be best for me? :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Hello all, I'm planning to move with my wife to Brighton, since I'd study in U. Sussex and she in London. Would it be reasonable for her to commute to London everyday? How much cheaper is Brighton than London? Thanks!
eHi! I just receive the University house allocation and I got mine in Freshfield street. It says in Google map that it's 16 minutes walking distance to bust stop in Elm Grove then 15 minutes bus ride going to the University of Sussex (33mins overall).

I had another room offer from a private live-in landlord, it is in Loder Road in Preston Park. It is just 1min away from bus stop but have to change bus in St. Peter's Church going to Uni so overall travel time is around 45mins. I'll have to live with a teacher and her daughter who is also an incoming masters student in Uni of Sussex.

Both have the same prices of 500pcm. The one in Preston Park has an ensuite bathroom included.

Which do you think is a better option?

I will want to consider part time job opportunities/availability, getting along/being comfortable with my housemates and also energy-saving wise.

Quick Reply

Latest