Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by crazycake93
Cambridge (Magdalene)
Durham
Warwick
Bristol
Southampton or Exeter

I think my chances are just as good as anyone elses (with better GCSE's)

I think they are pretty good choices, Warwick may be a bit risky considering the GCSEs though but the rest seem like a fairly good set, how are you finding The Under Cover Economist? :P
Original post by tateco
I think they are pretty good choices, Warwick may be a bit risky considering the GCSEs though but the rest seem like a fairly good set, how are you finding The Under Cover Economist? :P

It's a pretty good read, though it does go on and on about scarcity. It's taken me a while to read it :s. Started ages ago but have been really busy. Gotta finish it this weekend.
Reply 62
Original post by sqwerty
Thanks.

Which Othello question are you doing? I done the importance of jealousy and found it easy to write about.

No reason not to include the module scores if they're as good as that, mine weren't though haha so I'm unsure if I am. It's all a long way away still. What were your other modular results?

How significant are Iago's soliloquies to the development of tragedy in 'Othello'!

It's a great question as I really like looking deeper into Iago's character!

I only took one module in January, but I think having ten in May makes up for it!
Probably end up applying to:
Cambridge (Emma)
LSE
Warwick
Nottingham
Exeter/York

Anyone going LSE open day on the 30th?
Reply 64
Original post by crazycake93
It's a pretty good read, though it does go on and on about scarcity. It's taken me a while to read it :s. Started ages ago but have been really busy. Gotta finish it this weekend.

Yeah I thought it was a bit repetitive when I read it too...
Everyone's high UMS scores are starting to worry me..
My college don't offer January exams because "Oxbridge look down upon them..", which I don't think is COMPLETELY accurate, merely gives you a competitive edge if you have the same score as someone else.. which is unlikely to happen because all exams are crammed in together in the space of 2 weeks.. or thereabouts.

I'm still deciding but the general outlook appears:
LSE
UCL
SOAS
City

I'm ranking downwards and I think City will be the lowest, I'm missing a slot between SOAS and City.. any ideas will be appreciated. :smile:
Although my form tutor is highly insistent on an application to Cambridge.. I'm not up for that though.. Is it wrong that I don't necessarily like Cambridge?

I'm on for the earliest registration time at LSE next Wednesday.. missing my EC2 mock though..
Original post by SillyString
My college don't offer January exams because "Oxbridge look down upon them..", which I don't think is COMPLETELY accurate, merely gives you a competitive edge if you have the same score as someone else.. which is unlikely to happen because all exams are crammed in together in the space of 2 weeks.. or thereabouts.

LSE
UCL
SOAS
City

I'm ranking downwards and I think City will be the lowest, I'm missing a slot between SOAS and City.. any ideas will be appreciated. :smile:
Although my form tutor is highly insistent on an application to Cambridge.. I'm not up for that though.. Is it wrong that I don't necessarily like Cambridge?

I'm on for the earliest registration time at LSE next Wednesday.. missing my EC2 mock though..

Cambridge look down on January exams?! Really?

And what's going on at LSE on wednesday?
Original post by TSR-MATT
Cambridge look down on January exams?! Really?

And what's going on at LSE on wednesday?

I genuinely don't believe they do. My college argues that "If they have two equally good applicants with equal UMS scores.. the way they will decipher between the two is through whether they took January exams of not.." which I think is just rather naive. Chances are, we will be rejected because we have lower UMS because of our crammed timetable. No one at our college has proof that their theory works, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's all talk imo.

There's an open day nex Wednesday, and also one on the 29th June if anyone was unfortuate to miss this one. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 68

LSE
UCL
SOAS
City

I see where your college is coming from, but I think it's highly unlikely they'd ever use something like that as a deciding factor, it's discriminating against something that is completely out of the applicant's control in most cases...

Interesting to see you intend to apply to all London universities, any reason for this? Also for one in-between SOAS and City, what about Queen Mary? It's a shame King's don't offer economics :/

I completely understand where you're coming from with not being too keen on Cambridge, the whole idea of three years of extreme pressure is a little off-putting. Annoyed I missed this open day for LSE :/ Hopefully I'll go to the next one :smile:
Original post by tateco
I see where your college is coming from, but I think it's highly unlikely they'd ever use something like that as a deciding factor, it's discriminating against something that is completely out of the applicant's control in most cases...

Interesting to see you intend to apply to all London universities, any reason for this? Also for one in-between SOAS and City, what about Queen Mary? It's a shame King's don't offer economics :/

I completely understand where you're coming from with not being too keen on Cambridge, the whole idea of three years of extreme pressure is a little off-putting. Annoyed I missed this open day for LSE :/ Hopefully I'll go to the next one :smile:

I agree with you on that, I don't think it actually happens..

Queen Mary's perfect thanks :smile:
The main reason is because of the whole rise in tuition fees, it's easier for me to find a job and I can live at home if it gets too bad. I know they're repayable post-graduation but.. I don't really have a way to defend myself.. I'm planning for the future. :smile: Plus I can't think of arguments for leaving London against my mum.. that's probably the main part.

There's always the other open day. I'm grateful they have two. :smile:

There are lots of people who don't like Cambridge and there's nothing wrong with it :tongue:
Plenty of people who don't like it though just haven't even seen it and are going on what they have heard about it being boring etc. If your grades are of that standard, I think you should definitely go and have a look at it and then if you decide you don't like it well fair enough.

Yeah I'm in the slot after that although I must admit I'm very sceptical about LSE, I'm just worried it will be very boring (although it is in central London so can't be that bad).
Reply 71
I agree with you on that, I don't think it actually happens..

Queen Mary's perfect thanks :smile:
The main reason is because of the whole rise in tuition fees, it's easier for me to find a job and I can live at home if it gets too bad. I know they're repayable post-graduation but.. I don't really have a way to defend myself.. I'm planning for the future. :smile: Plus I can't think of arguments for leaving London against my mum.. that's probably the main part.

There's always the other open day. I'm grateful they have two. :smile:

You have such a good set of A-level subjects for Economics :P UCL are going to love you, if you get the grades you will have a really strong chance there. Aah, didn't realise you live in London, all the uni's you have said about look good, not sure about SOAS though...
Original post by Psychotic546
There are lots of people who don't like Cambridge and there's nothing wrong with it :tongue:
Plenty of people who don't like it though just haven't even seen it and are going on what they have heard about it being boring etc. If your grades are of that standard, I think you should definitely go and have a look at it and then if you decide you don't like it well fair enough.

Yeah I'm in the slot after that although I must admit I'm very sceptical about LSE, I'm just worried it will be very boring (although it is in central London so can't be that bad).

I'm going in for an open day then, I guess. Is it true they give free three course meals? That's the main reason I'm going.. :smile: Aha.. LSE's made me slightly concerned when they say they have more maths modules than economics modules in the first year..

Original post by tateco
You have such a good set of A-level subjects for Economics :P UCL are going to love you, if you get the grades you will have a really strong chance there. Aah, didn't realise you live in London, all the uni's you have said about look good, not sure about SOAS though...

Aha thanks :smile: Your A Levels are awesome too :biggrin:, they sound really interesting, sometiems i'm upset I didn't take Biology or English Lit.. and they'll only love me if I can get the grades.. I've gone back into the rut of little motivation. :rolleyes:
London is an awesome place to live :smile:, though I am horribly biased.. I always thought SOAS was better in terms of reputation than that of City and Queen Marys.. and it's pretty near Russell Square so it's all fine.. :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by Groat
I've gotten 100/100 in economics so far, all things are on course!

Just thought I'd nip in here. I got 200/200 in AS Economics, but that doesn't matter a jot when it comes to an A*. So while I need an E in Unit 4 to get an A, I can only afford to drop 4 marks in Unit 4 if I want an A* because I scraped an A in Unit 3. Basically, you've done well, but make sure the work rate remains high, make a note to yourself not to get complacent next year, loads of clever people in my year have been slipping this year. Good luck with it all.
Reply 74

Aha thanks :smile: Your A Levels are awesome too :biggrin:, they sound really interesting, sometiems i'm upset I didn't take Biology or English Lit.. and they'll only love me if I can get the grades.. I've gone back into the rut of little motivation. :rolleyes:
London is an awesome place to live :smile:, though I am horribly biased.. I always thought SOAS was better in terms of reputation than that of City and Queen Marys.. and it's pretty near Russell Square so it's all fine.. :biggrin:

Trust me you did well out of not taking Biology, I'd give anything to go back and change it to further maths. The exams are really easy though and it's easy to get full UMS, but the content is SO DULL and the practical assessments :|
Original post by tateco
Trust me you did well out of not taking Biology, I'd give anything to go back and change it to further maths. The exams are really easy though and it's easy to get full UMS, but the content is SO DULL and the practical assessments :|

Aha.. can't be all that bad. Do you do dissections? Actually I'm rather squeamish.. never mind. Decision maths will kill me one day.. it's like dot to dot.. only they discovered a way to make it boring. Well there are advantages and disadvantages to everything, eh? :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by bramz19
Just thought I'd nip in here. I got 200/200 in AS Economics, but that doesn't matter a jot when it comes to an A*. So while I need an E in Unit 4 to get an A, I can only afford to drop 4 marks in Unit 4 if I want an A* because I scraped an A in Unit 3. Basically, you've done well, but make sure the work rate remains high, make a note to yourself not to get complacent next year, loads of clever people in my year have been slipping this year. Good luck with it all.

Congratulations on the 200/200. I know there is no advantage in getting full marks if you want the A*, however there doesn't seem to be any A*A*A offers to study Economics so I don't essentially need that second A*.

Thank you for the tip about not getting complacent, I'm just taking each step at a time.
I'm going in for an open day then, I guess. Is it true they give free three course meals? That's the main reason I'm going.. :smile: Aha.. LSE's made me slightly concerned when they say they have more maths modules than economics modules in the first year..

Yeah they do give that :biggrin:
I know they and Cambridge put a lot of emphasis on maths (LSE more so). From what I've heard, it doesn't go too much further than A- level F.Maths, particularly in regards to Pure but the Stats is a little more complicated.

LSE
UCL
SOAS
City

:s Seems as though you really wanna stay in London, just out of interest what were your GCSE's like because LSE and UCL are very very competetive for Economics, and base offers on both AS and GCSE's.
Reply 79
What uni's don't put my emphasis on GCSE's then?

From what I heard LSE, UCL and Nottingham do, and the last two were ones I wanted to apply to...

(I have 4 A*'s, 5 A's, 2 B's at GCSE)

Latest