The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Lool, I'm with Beska here, you'll never live up to the 2011 re-applicants :wink:
:ninja: Subscribes :ninja:

I don't care that I won't be a re-applicant any more as of September.. I still have the right to be here on this thread :smug:

You lot have some big shoes to fill if you want to be acknowledged as TSR re-applicants :tongue:
Reply 22
Does anyone know the answer to any of these questions.../

how you go about getting a job as a healthcare assistant?

Would a GP surgery take on a gap year student to work as a healthcare assistant?

Do you need any kind of qualification?

...If you guys have any answers please let me know
Reply 23
Original post by kbountra
OP you have fantastic grades and predictions so just make sure you work hard to fulfill your prediction. Really plan out your GAP year so it has a clear structure- there are many opportunities for volunteering in medical settings abroad on placements if that interests you.
Personally I wouldn't have wasted an application to Bristol- they are the most competitive med school in the country and their admissions system is rather hit+miss.

I would LOVE to do some overseas work, I've done a bit of research, but it's ridiculously expensive, even if you get a charity bursary. So I don't think it's going to be an option sadly. I've already lined up some more voluntary work in the UK though. Any other advice on work exp.? I'm finding it impossible to secure a hospital placement!

And as for Bristol - words of wisdom. It's not a mistake I'll be repeating!
Thanks for the feedback.
Reply 24
Original post by Artaa
...same story 4 Rejections.

What are your plans...reapply?

Yep, sadly.
I briefly considered going in through UCAS Extra for something like biomed or biochem, but it's just not what I want to do. I think I'd be selling myself short not to give medicine at least one more shot.
You?
Reply 25
I'm subscribing to this one - probably be me as well soon :frown:

I don't want to give up yet, but I've got to be realistic! Gap medics sounds like it would be amazing - but its just too expensive... Don't think I could save up enough money to do it really.

Probably going to try and get a HCA job, or even ward clerk or porter or anything really. As long as I'm in the hospital/care homes its experience.

Ahh its scary :frown: I don't want all my friends to march off and leave me :frown: or have to live at home anymore. But medicine is worth it, so thats the way its going to be :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
:ninja: Subscribes :ninja:

I don't care that I won't be a re-applicant any more as of September.. I still have the right to be here on this thread :smug:

You lot have some big shoes to fill if you want to be acknowledged as TSR re-applicants :tongue:

Big shoes, but we can handle it :biggrin:
Reply 27
Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time here this year...
May as well start with a shread of optomism :wink:

Hello all :biggrin:
Original post by twelve
Big shoes, but we can handle it :biggrin:

We'll see :wink:

Now for this thread to count as a re-apps thread it seems there has to be at least one sex-obsessed person.. who will be this person? :eyeball:
For the record our sex-obsessed person is dmz :colone:

Now for this thread to count as a re-apps thread it seems there has to be at least one sex-obsessed person.. who will be this person? :eyeball:

:yucky:

We don't want no sexiness on here! :tongue: :sexface:
Reply 30

Well, I like sex, but I don't think I could volunteer to be the sex representative of a thread...

Anyone else prepared to volunteer?
Original post by twelve
Well, I like sex, but I don't think I could volunteer to be the sex representative of a thread...

I think one of the mums [child bearing women] who have been lurking on the Aberdeen thread should volunteer. After all, they will be experienced :tongue:
Original post by garlicbreadman
:yucky:

We don't want no sexiness on here! :tongue: :sexface:

But how do you plan on staying sane??

Need something to entertain yourselves on a gap year.. they can get a bit boring and sex talk makes things so much more interesting :sexface:
For proof have a look at our thread and see if you agree :wink:
Original post by twelve

You, my lady, have made a good first impression on me :hubba:

Do well in your UKCAT, apply to Barts and the London, get in, then as a second year I could taint you freshers :hubba:

No? :getmecoat:
Reply 33
I think one of the mums [child bearing women] who have been lurking on the Aberdeen thread should volunteer. After all, they will be experienced :tongue:

Excellent, we'll cajole them into it when they make their way here...

See, you 2011 reapps - we've got a GROUP of sex-obsessors. We are well on our way already :biggrin:

You, my lady, have made a good first impression on me :hubba:

Do well in your UKCAT, apply to Barts and the London, get in, then as a second year I could taint you freshers :hubba:

No? :getmecoat:

Hahaha, great plan. Reckon you could go and do my UKCAT for me? It scares me :frown: See you there :wink:
Original post by twelve
See, you 2011 reapps - we've got a GROUP of sex-obsessors. We are well on our way already :biggrin:

Hahaha, great plan. Reckon you could go and do my UKCAT for me? It scares me :frown: See you there :wink:

Prove it :colonhash:

I would if I could.. but my brain is gone so you better do it yourself :yep:

Almost time to start preparing for it I guess :erm:

:coma:
Reply 35
Prove it :colonhash:

I would if I could.. but my brain is gone so you better do it yourself :yep:

Almost time to start preparing for it I guess :erm:

:coma:

Ohh :frown:

Yeahh :/ unfortunately its looming... I've chosen the book I'm going to get, so thats enough preparation for the moment :P Its tough to decide when to do it! I don't want to go too early, because with all the other exams, I won't have enough time to do all the practise questions I want, but if I leave it too late, then I'll have to rush around choosing my universities quickly...
Original post by tiggix
I would LOVE to do some overseas work, I've done a bit of research, but it's ridiculously expensive, even if you get a charity bursary. So I don't think it's going to be an option sadly. I've already lined up some more voluntary work in the UK though. Any other advice on work exp.? I'm finding it impossible to secure a hospital placement!

And as for Bristol - words of wisdom. It's not a mistake I'll be repeating!
Thanks for the feedback.

There is this fantastic charity called 'Odyssians' which offer free holidays for disabled adults. Each year in Summer they run one week breaks and you can volunteer to help out- it only costs £100 to cover the cost of your accommodation (camping). My friend who is now studying Medicine went and really enjoyed the whole experience whilst getting a real insight into working in a caring environment. It is based in Berkshire so if you are interested just google 'Odyssians camp' and see if it appeals to you. I think with hospital work experience it is just a case of applying as early as you can- GP placements are even harder to get because of patient confidentiality etc. but I'm sure you'll find something.
Finally if you want any advice on putting down a back-up uni to Medicine then just ask. I'm starting Biochemistry in October so have some idea of good alternatives if you need one. For example- Newcastle uni run Biomed/Biochem and if you perform excellently in your first year, you may be able to transfer to straight Medicine. I think this is similar with SGUL and Sussex uni.
Reply 37
Well I'm still gonna retain the shred of hope of getting in through the Edinburgh waiting list but I've got my gap year planned just in case.
Original post by twelve
Ohh :frown:

Yeahh :/ unfortunately its looming... I've chosen the book I'm going to get, so thats enough preparation for the moment :P Its tough to decide when to do it! I don't want to go too early, because with all the other exams, I won't have enough time to do all the practise questions I want, but if I leave it too late, then I'll have to rush around choosing my universities quickly...

Which book have you chosen? I recommend the 'How to pass the UK Clinical Aptitude Test and BMAT' book, it's the one I used :yep:
As well as the practise questions on the website :h:
Oh and you may notice that they recycle questions, I recognised some from this years test that were in the one the year before :yep:
Reply 39

No thank you very much! And just put that thought out of your head at once!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending