The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Groat
I agree, that combination looks pretty strong! Will you be taking all your subjects to A2?

I can't actually remember: Economics and something else!

I think I put economics and economics with history, but I assume they'll let you wander around by yourself so I don't think it's that important. There's gonna be so many people :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by jamiepango
Ah I see :smile: If you're interested in several subjects, then I think a joint degree might be best for you :biggrin:

And I had module exams in January, so these mocks are for the summer modules that I'll be sitting. Did you have any exams in January? How did they go? :smile:

Your doing your mocks for summer already? :O Did you have modules for everything in January? Because I did, and I'm not doing mocks for another month or something :L
Original post by tateco
Your doing your mocks for summer already? :O Did you have modules for everything in January? Because I did, and I'm not doing mocks for another month or something :L

I did maths and biology in January, so I guess it's logical that we're doing mocks for chemistry and economics because we've finished the syllabus :smile:

I have like 3 more chapters for maths, and still quite far behind for biology.
Reply 103
I did maths and biology in January, so I guess it's logical that we're doing mocks for chemistry and economics because we've finished the syllabus :smile:

I have like 3 more chapters for maths, and still quite far behind for biology.

That's reassuring :P I've finished economics now but still about 2/3 weeks worth of teaching left for everything else... good luck with your mocks anyway! :smile:
Original post by tateco
That's reassuring :P I've finished economics now but still about 2/3 weeks worth of teaching left for everything else... good luck with your mocks anyway! :smile:

Ah right, there's not that much teaching left if you think about it. April has hardly any school because of easter/bank holidays/ royal wedding, then its may then BAM, its exam time :wink: Oh well...

Thanks :smile: Good luck for any exams that you may have :biggrin:
Original post by Acerbic
Yeah I'm applying for economics (or ppe, or economics with history). I like to think it's a good choice, any thoughts?

PPE is quite different to the other two really so look more at the course I feel you'll easily tell whether it's right for you.
Economics and History at Oxford looks brilliant, and doesn't have too little of either although it is a very small course.
Reply 106
Ah I see :smile: If you're interested in several subjects, then I think a joint degree might be best for you :biggrin:

And I had module exams in January, so these mocks are for the summer modules that I'll be sitting. Did you have any exams in January? How did they go? :smile:

I didn't have any exams in January, which is both good and bad. Good in that my Christmas wasn't stressful, bad in that all of my exams are in May. My mocks were pretty good though, only got a B in English with bugger all revision. How were your January modules?
Reply 107
Original post by Psychotic546
PPE is quite different to the other two really so look more at the course I feel you'll easily tell whether it's right for you.
Economics and History at Oxford looks brilliant, and doesn't have too little of either although it is a very small course.

History and economics does look great, but only a 17% success rate for applications + the requirement of aptitude tests to be taken in both history and economics is a bit daunting. Still, my GCSEs weren't impeccable, so that might not be too bad a thing.
Reply 108
Original post by Acerbic
History and economics does look great, but only a 17% success rate for applications + the requirement of aptitude tests to be taken in both history and economics is a bit daunting. Still, my GCSEs weren't impeccable, so that might not be too bad a thing.

17% is pretty high, LSE is something insane like 6% for straight economics and I imagine E&M at Oxford is similar
Reply 109
Anyone opting for Cambridge Economics? :smile:
Reply 110
Original post by jhthed

Yep, don't know if I'll get in because I won't have full further maths A2 but it's worth a shot?
Original post by jhthed

Yep :smile:

Original post by tateco
Yep, don't know if I'll get in because I won't have full further maths A2 but it's worth a shot?

Last year they put F.Maths as preferred, this year there's no mention of it. Either way it's not required so why not try? :tongue:
Reply 112
Have you dropped it already? Might be better if you take it to a2... but people still get in without further maths at all.

Worth a shot though, if your other subjects are decent. :smile: have you done any work placement yet? what subjects all of you doing?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by Psychotic546
Yep :smile:

Last year they put F.Maths as preferred, this year there's no mention of it. Either way it's not required so why not try? :tongue:

Yeah, I'm going to do further Maths AS, and I have strong academic subjects and a good background of good grades in maths (A* GCSE, A in additional FSMQ, 100UMS in core 1) so hopefully that should be enough to convince them I'm capable
Reply 114
Original post by Acerbic

I'm also thinking about History and Economics, but there's not many other places that offer it, and I don't know what I'd do for my personal statement...
Reply 115
Original post by sqwerty
I'm also thinking about History and Economics, but there's not many other places that offer it, and I don't know what I'd do for my personal statement...

Are you going to be applying for History and Economics everywhere? If so, that should be easy to combine in your personal statement.

If you're applying for History elsewhere, ensure the core of your personal statement is about History and then add a bit about Economics.
Reply 116
Original post by Groat
Are you going to be applying for History and Economics everywhere? If so, that should be easy to combine in your personal statement.

If you're applying for History elsewhere, ensure the core of your personal statement is about History and then add a bit about Economics.

I'd love to apply for History and Economics elsewhere, but not many top universities offer it. I guess I have plenty of time to decide though
Original post by Acerbic
I didn't have any exams in January, which is both good and bad. Good in that my Christmas wasn't stressful, bad in that all of my exams are in May. My mocks were pretty good though, only got a B in English with bugger all revision. How were your January modules?

I think I would prefer my exams to be more spaced out so I have more time between each one. However my summer timetable is shocking as all my exams are in the space of a week :mad:

The january modules went quite well thanks, I got A's in maths and biology :smile:
Reply 118
I think I would prefer my exams to be more spaced out so I have more time between each one. However my summer timetable is shocking as all my exams are in the space of a week :mad:

The january modules went quite well thanks, I got A's in maths and biology :smile:

On the contrary, I quite like having 9 exams in the space of two weeks! It ensures I stay focused through the exam period, ensuring I've done sufficient revision before hand.

What maths modules are you taking?
Original post by Groat
On the contrary, I quite like having 9 exams in the space of two weeks! It ensures I stay focused through the exam period, ensuring I've done sufficient revision before hand.

What maths modules are you taking?

Haha I see what you mean.. I think that would be too intense for me :wink: I have 8 exams in the summer, and 3 days where I have 2 exams on the same day :s-smilie:

I did C1 in January, and I'm doing C2 and S1 in the summer. Next year I'm doing AS further maths alongside my A2 maths so I'll have alot of modules next year..
How about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending