The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

I am applying for a checkout role. Not the most brilliant of jobs, but it doesn't look too difficult. Besides the obvious, pressing some buttons, is there anything one should know about the job that may not be so obvious on face value?
Reply 261
Original post by nintendolad
I am applying for a checkout role. Not the most brilliant of jobs, but it doesn't look too difficult. Besides the obvious, pressing some buttons, is there anything one should know about the job that may not be so obvious on face value?

be prepared to be treated like you're stupid, because you're on tills :p:

and also, something I managed to do wrong for the first week (because i really AM stupid sometimes...) was think that lemons went by weight like most of the other fruit and veg, so I gave everybody any amount of lemons for 27p until I noticed :colondollar:
Original post by conway!
be prepared to be treated like you're stupid, because you're on tills :p:

and also, something I managed to do wrong for the first week (because i really AM stupid sometimes...) was think that lemons went by weight like most of the other fruit and veg, so I gave everybody any amount of lemons for 27p until I noticed :colondollar:

That's classic. I've spent 5 minutes looking up the number for aq fruit, been about to give up then realised the number was on the sticker the whole time.

Felt like a right muppet...
Just found out I got a job in ASDA :biggrin:

But now I'm scared, I feel like I'm gonna mess up and make ASDA go bust or something D:
Reply 264
Im in yr 11 of school can I work at asda if im 16 or do I have to wait until I finish my gcses?
Reply 265
Original post by 2pasda
Im in yr 11 of school can I work at asda if im 16 or do I have to wait until I finish my gcses?

I don't think it matters as long as you're 16, but not having GCSEs might be a disadvantage. Worth a try though.
Reply 266
Original post by nuodai
I don't think it matters as long as you're 16, but not having GCSEs might be a disadvantage. Worth a try though.

I’m studying for gcses now, im quite intelligent expected all a*’s and a’s.
How would I go about getting a job- phone them, go instore, go online?
Reply 267
Original post by 2pasda
I’m studying for gcses now, im quite intelligent expected all a*’s and a’s.
How would I go about getting a job- phone them, go instore, go online?

What I did (admittedly 2 and a half years ago) was go into the store and ask for a job application form at customer services. If they don't have any it might be that there aren't any vacancies, but it's worth persisting in case any turn up.
Reply 268
I believe it's all done online now, it might vary store to store though.

Original post by jimcatinnes
Just found out I got a job in ASDA :biggrin:

But now I'm scared, I feel like I'm gonna mess up and make ASDA go bust or something D:

Congratulations.

And don't worry. There are plenty of lazy bone idle people working for Asda, and I'm sure you won't fall into that category. :smile:
Hi

this mite just be me but I work on the checkouts and I feel that others get favored much more than others. for instance someone who started the same time as me has gets to do everything but the tills. he has been trained for self scan, kiosk and he always does returns whereas I am stuck on the checkouts all day which is soul destroying. It is getting to the stage were I am hating my job and even becoming to dislike the person who does everything. Is there anything I can do about this I have already said to them that I would like to do that stuff but they haven't acted on it. I am just being childish or does this happen to other people.

one more thing how to u become a runner/checkout support. do u have to be working for asda for a number of years. can u do it part time because I go to uni but I would love to do that job it would make me want to go to work. thanks.
Reply 270
I have attended the Asda Magic Event they told me if im unsuccessful theyll tell me after 24 hours, so im assuming hopefully im successful as i have not heard anything yet, so just want to here from someone else who attended Asda Magic Event on how long it took Asda to back to them
Original post by 2036789
I have attended the Asda Magic Event they told me if im unsuccessful theyll tell me after 24 hours, so im assuming hopefully im successful as i have not heard anything yet, so just want to here from someone else who attended Asda Magic Event on how long it took Asda to back to them

Took them about 30 mins from when it ended... As i walked into my house afterwards the phone was ringing from them to go back for an interview in the afternoon...

This was a rare case though as it was a new store being built and they were in a rush. Normally the managers doing it will need to discuss it etc and will then probs leave it to personnel to ring you back some morning in the next few days.
Gotta ask. What's the pay rate like? How much a year?
Original post by uktotalgamer
Gotta ask. What's the pay rate like? How much a year?

£6.37 an hour.

Tims it by 40 or so per week then times that by 52 then - the allowance before tax then times the rest by 0.8 to allow for 20% tax rate then + the allowance again. Then add in a good £1k+ of bonus if you're working full time and you'll be looking at around 14k per year...

But if you're working full time and wanna work up to key colleague /manager it'll go up...
Original post by MHorman
£6.37 an hour.

Tims it by 40 or so per week then times that by 52 then - the allowance before tax then times the rest by 0.8 to allow for 20% tax rate then + the allowance again. Then add in a good £1k+ of bonus if you're working full time and you'll be looking at around 14k per year...

But if you're working full time and wanna work up to key colleague /manager it'll go up...

Thanks. However, I suppose the framework in ASDA in means that working your way up will take a very long time?
Original post by uktotalgamer
Thanks. However, I suppose the framework in ASDA in means that working your way up will take a very long time?

Not really.

I've known some people that come in as a colleague and are a key colleague within a few months and then he even stepped in as a manager for the largest department in the store for a few weeks apparently whilst i was in uni...

Just needs determination/effort. You have to care about the waste budget and other stuff i couldn't care about and spend another 5 mins after your shift helping clear up etc and then you'll work up quickly...
Original post by _jason_
I believe it's all done online now, it might vary store to store though.

Congratulations.

And don't worry. There are plenty of lazy bone idle people working for Asda, and I'm sure you won't fall into that category. :smile:

Not to sound a bit cheeky, what was your starting pay per hour and how often were you payed (weekly, fortnightly...)?
Reply 277
Hi there. Hope someone can help.....please!!!!!!!!
Have just applied to my local asda for 5 different jobs (hoping to get at least 1) and when looking for ID for legal working, have found that my passport is out of date by 5 years and in my maiden name and my birth certificate is the short type that was sent by my local registry office after I had lost the original 1. What else can I take to prove I am legally able to work in the UK? Apart that I am a native won't necessarily stand me in good stead, will it?!!

Thanking you in advance for your replies
Original post by _jason_

Yes, managers!!! :facepalm:
Reply 279
Original post by jimcatinnes
Not to sound a bit cheeky, what was your starting pay per hour and how often were you payed (weekly, fortnightly...)?

Not cheeky at all - it's £6.1588 per hour to start with (6.36 after 6 months) and you get paid once every 4 weeks - so 13 pay periods in the year.

Original post by DancinBallerina
Yes, managers!!! :facepalm:

hahaha! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending